Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't boot HDD XP

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 BarkiAl

BarkiAl

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

Hi Guys, I'm looking for some help.

My trusty laptop (EI Systems 3102 bought new in 2007 with a 120GB Seagate HD) got switched off at the mains the other day and ever since won't boot. I know it's a problem with the hard disk as I upgraded the disk a few years ago and still have the original which i plugged in and it started up first time. The DVD drive is dead and has been for a while.

The disk in question is running Xp Pro SP3 and when removed and plugged in to a desktop as a slave disk (not booting from it), could be seen and files moved about so the disk is working so there is something wrong with the boot up.Whilst in my desktop, I ran a virus scan on it and noting was found, I also ran Seagate disk tools tests and they all came back as OK

After loads of reading I found out about PEbuilder and PE2usb. I built an image from my XP SP3 disk on my desktop PC then used PE2usb made a "supposerly" bootable usb drive. The most that happened was i got a single flash of a "_" in the top left hand corner of the screen.

I downloaded AVG Rescue disk for USB and when it loaded it said a linux file was missing (ldlinux.c32) and didn't load.

I have tried everything i can think of to try and get a USB disk booting even better would be one with my XP setup files on so that i can try and repair my installation.

Any help please

Edited by BarkiAl, 17 November 2013 - 10:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:05 AM

When you take a hdd with a Windows operating system installed from the computer it was originally installed on and install it in another computer you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from a Intel article which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here.

Moving a hard drive with Windows already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer you may not be able to start Windows. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you change your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 BarkiAl

BarkiAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:34 AM

Hi, I think you have misunderstood me. I added the HDD from my laptop only as a slave drive. It wasn't used to boot my desktop. I made the mistake you are referring too many many years ago with win 95!!!!
I have today found a DVD drive for my laptop on eBay, however I have read so much about being able to get xp to install from a USB drive, I was hoping for some help with getting the USB drive bootable and then trying to repair windows from there.
My BIOS is seeing the USB drive, but no matter which method I am using I can't get it to boot. As I said in my original post I know the laptop works as I still have the original 40Gb disk that came with it and it started straight away.
I'm thinking maybe wrongly that either my registry or MBR is corrupted

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:41 AM

I did misread that part, not enough caffeine yet. :thumbup2:

no matter which method I am using I can't get it to boot.

Does this include making the USB device the first device in the boot order and the hdd the second device?

I was hoping for some help with getting the USB drive bootable and then trying to repair windows from there.

Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive

Another consideration would be to purchase a CD/DVD burner, you can purchase one for about $20.00 U.S. dollars.  If you have a CD/DVD burner you can use it to create a bootable disc to access the Recovery Console using ARCDC by Artellos.

If you decide to go this route follow the instructions below.

How to make a bootable CD to access the Recovery Console.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.

* Double click ARCDC.exe
    * Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
    * You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
    * You will see a few DOS screens flash by, this is normal.
    * Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
    * The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC

Your ISO is located on your desktop.

In order to boot from this CD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

Once you have booted from the CD you will come to a screen which will offer the options to Install or Repair, select R.

When you reach the command prompt type chkdsk /r then press Enter.  Please observe that there is a space between chkdsk and the forward slash r (/r).

Chkdsk has five stages which will display the percentage of each stage as it runs.  This can take a very long time to run, it may even appear to have stalled.  Please do not stop this process as it can cause severe damage to the operating system.

Edited by dc3, 17 November 2013 - 12:11 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 BarkiAl

BarkiAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

not enough caffeine yet.  :thumbup2:

Not a Problem. I know the feeling lol.

Yes the usb is the 1st device tne the DVD drive  (not working) then the harddisk. If i press F12 at startup it even shows the name of the usb stick. 

I am currently trying the method you have suggested to make the usb stick bootable.

Could I then use your method of downloading the recovery console and instead of burning it to CD is there a way to put it onto the newly created bootable USB???

#6 BarkiAl

BarkiAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:05 PM

Talk about banging my head against a wall today. I'm trying the first part of diskpart. My USB stick is drive H on my system so i am typing "select disk <H>" All i get is "The arguments you have specified for this command are not valid"...Am I doing something wrong???

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

What are you trying to do with Diskpart and what is the script you are using?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:51 PM

You can downlad Win ToFlash to load the ISO to a flash drive.

You can find instructions for it here.

#9 BarkiAl

BarkiAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

in the link Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive I am just following the instructions to make the drive bootable

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

Let's try using the Dell Diagnostic Utility before attempting the repair installation.

Follow the instructions beginning with step 4.

#11 BarkiAl

BarkiAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:19 AM

Good Morning. Thanks for your posts. I have an EI Systems laptop and unfortunately it doesn't have and diagnostics in the bios. I have managed to get my USB drive to boot into GrubDos and i am currently trying a  method from http://reboot.pro/topic/19169-laptop-wont-boot-hdd-xp/

I'll let you know how i get on

#12 BarkiAl

BarkiAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

Please mark as solved with help from Wonka the sane on reboot.pro

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:58 AM

I'm glad to read that you have resolved your issue.

Please explain what Wonka is.

Edited by dc3, 20 November 2013 - 09:58 AM.

#14 BarkiAl

BarkiAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

Sorry Wonko the sane is a guy on www.reboot.pro it ended up that the files system & software in the windows\system32\config folders where both corrupted.  He told me to back up the entire folder whilst it was connected to my desktop as a slave disk and then use copies of the 2 files that where stored in the Windows\ERUNT folder.

Although this worked it meant as the files were 5 weeks old that any software i had installed since this date was no longer registered in the registry and needed to be re-installed. I also had to reinstall my anti-virus as it had a problem with it.

Another problem which needed fixing was  a month ago i couldn't access the internet even though i was connected, so i ran RogueKiller which fixed the problem  origanaly so i am now up and running again...Yipppeeeee.

I am thinking that maybe i should do a fresh install of XP sods law, my new dvd drive turned up 2 hours after i fixed the problem lol.

Can i ask you what is your preferred method of wiping a disk clean before putting a fresh install of windows onto it?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

Thank you for the explanation.

I have a copy of WipeDrive which is my personal choice.  It's very effective and easy to use, but it isn't free.

Darik's Boot and Nuke is another program which is popular, and it's free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users