Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drivers cause PC to freeze

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Veerix

Veerix

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:23 PM

So I'm pretty experienced and have worked with computers for years but am completely stumped on the issue here.

Issue: 

Every time I try to install hardware drivers (such as Intel LAN drivers and AMD video drivers) my entire computer freezes without error message. By "freezes" I mean the computer display remains frozen and unresponsive, occasionally displaying the last screen as a still image. The only way I have found to regain control is to manually shutdown the machine via power button  and reset button.

Background:

My machine was working perfectly for a very long time without any issue since building it. Then I tried to install Windows 8.1 and it ran into an error leaving me with no other option than refreshing the machine. So I followed the steps and cleaned the Boot drive (which was a 512GB SSD). Then upon installing the drivers I ran into the issue. Tried some simple fixes and nothing worked. 7 fresh windows installs later...still have the same problem. I couldn't think of anything that would cause the issue and just took a guess that the SSD was the issue. So I purchase a new SSD as an upgrade in hopes to fix it. I got a 1TB Samsung 840 evo SSD. I set that up and BOOM the problem was fixed! A few days later I decided I wanted to plug in the old 512gb SSD and clean it up to use it again. I plugged in both SSDs and went into the BIOS immediately to make sure it booted off the right drive. I set the 840 SSD as the #1 boot order and did a manual boot override to make sure it booted off the 840 SSD, for some unknown reason the computer tried booting off the OLD SSD. After I realized that I shutdown the machine and disconnected the OLD SSD. Then as it started it didn't recognize the 840 SSD as a boot-able drive. I tried several things attempting to fix the boot block and nothing prevailed, so I cleaned the drive and started over re-installing windows. Then it started up again and suddenly ran into the driver error like it did with the OLD SSD. I tried re-installing windows a few times and even upgrading to 8.1 immediately and nothing worked. I also tried reformatting the OLD SSD and running windows off that and same Driver issue. So here I am with no idea what to do...

Any help is appreciated!

Specs:

ASUS Rampage IV Formula

32GB RAM

2x AMD Sapphire 7970 Ghz Edition

Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD

Coolermaster Cosmos 2 Case

Intel i7 3960x

H100i Liquid Cooler

Some old Blue Ray drive 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SuperComputer

SuperComputer

• Banned Spammer
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:19 PM

8.1 the Curse of The PC's... 

Look, inside BIOS Sata Setting IDE or AHCPI smth... If it is IDE make it AHCPI.

Edited by SuperComputer, 16 November 2013 - 09:20 PM.

#3 Veerix

Veerix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:33 PM

8.1 the Curse of The PC's... 

Look, inside BIOS Sata Setting IDE or AHCPI smth... If it is IDE make it AHCPI.

It's set to AHCPI and always has been. 

#4 SuperComputer

SuperComputer

• Banned Spammer
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:17 PM

Did you try Fail safe Defaults in Bios?

Edited by SuperComputer, 16 November 2013 - 10:42 PM.

#5 Veerix

Veerix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:53 PM

Did you try Fail safe Defaults in Bios?

Yep.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:05 PM

Just a few quick questions, are those drivers you are loading or firmware?

You've got me thinking here. The driver works fine until you add the old drive and then your new drive is no longer the default boot drive.

Did your old drive boot into an OS before you shut the computer down?

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 Veerix

Veerix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:11 PM

Just a few quick questions, are those drivers you are loading or firmware?

You've got me thinking here. The driver works fine until you add the old drive and then your new drive is no longer the default boot drive.

Did your old drive boot into an OS before you shut the computer down?

Bruce.

They are drivers, downloaded right from ASUS webpage for my specific motherboard. Specifically it's "Intel_LAN_Win8-1_VER185540"  and AMD's diver "13-9_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql"

The new drive I purchased, the 840 SSD, did work on the first install then something happened and booted off the OLD SSD. As I saw that it was running off the OLD SSD, windows fully booted, I shut down the computer, disconnected the OLD SSD and started it up. Then an error showed up on screen "Please connect boot media...." etc. So I just cleaned the 840 SSD and reinstalled windows and ran into the same driver problem.

#8 SuperComputer

SuperComputer

• Banned Spammer
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:25 PM

Secure boot is Off or On? UEFI bios Right?

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:50 PM

Okay, my next question is, if you boot into your system BIOS, do you see the SSD hard drive listed there and if so, is the parameters for the hard drive correct to the best of your knowledge?

Also, is the 840 SSD drive listed as the default boot device under boot options? I am not saying that option exists, but it is worth looking into as we troubleshoot this problem.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 SuperComputer

SuperComputer

• Banned Spammer
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:09 AM

5 steps to succes:

1.Make sure that the other hard drive is completely unplugged.

2.Check AHCPI once more(try both modes),check boot priority,disable settings like quick boot, secure boot etc. if you have uefi bios turn it to legacy mode CMOS.

3.Important.. Take all of your usb off!,including mouse transmitters,wirelles keyboards etc. find a cable version mouse and keyboard if you have Wireless.

3.Now Format the 840 ssd and erase it all (all partions including boot partiton so that no partitions present.)

4.Create the partition,(it will create the boot partition too)

5.Install windows, install drivers in safe mode.

Enjoy.

#11 Veerix

Veerix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:18 AM

Secure boot is Off or On? UEFI bios Right?

Secure boot is ON and set to "Windows UEFI Mode"

Okay, my next question is, if you boot into your system BIOS, do you see the SSD hard drive listed there and if so, is the parameters for the hard drive correct to the best of your knowledge?

Also, is the 840 SSD drive listed as the default boot device under boot options? I am not saying that option exists, but it is worth looking into as we troubleshoot this problem.

Bruce.

Yes, the 840 SSD does show up and is set to Boot Option #1. The 840 SSD successfully boots into Windows, just when its fully up and running I run into the driver issue.

5 steps to succes:

1.Make sure that the other hard drive is completely unplugged.

2.Check AHCPI once more(try both modes),check boot priority,disable settings like quick boot, secure boot etc. if you have uefi bios turn it to legacy mode CMOS.

3.Important.. Take all of your usb off!,including mouse transmitters,wirelles keyboards etc. find a cable version mouse and keyboard if you have Wireless.

3.Now Format the 840 ssd and erase it all (all partions including boot partiton so that no partitions present.)

4.Create the partition,(it will create the boot partition too)

5.Install windows, install drivers in safe mode.

Enjoy.

Going to try this now.

Thanks guys for constantly replying!

#12 Veerix

Veerix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:27 AM

Ok just for the record, disabled "Fast Boot" in the bios allowed the AMD display driver to install properly but the LAN driver still causes the issue.

#13 Veerix

Veerix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:40 AM

FINALLYYYYYYYYYYYY I was finally able to install every driver without an error!

Not sure what combination of things worked but I think it was disabling "Fast Boot" in the bios then doing a fresh install of Windows 8, also unplugged everthing besides Ethernet, mouse, keyboard, DVI and power.

I tried safe mode but several of the drivers wouldn't load in safe mode.

Thank you guys SOOOOOOOOOOOO much, been dealing with this for about 2 weeks now and has caused a massive amount of stress which is gone now thanks to you guys!

Edited by Veerix, 17 November 2013 - 01:52 AM.

#14 SuperComputer

SuperComputer

• Banned Spammer
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:49 AM

FINALLYYYYYYYYYYYY I was finally able to install every driver without an error!

Not sure what combination of things worked but I think it was disabling "Fast Boot" in the bios then doing a fresh install of Windows 8, also unplugged everthing besides Ethernet, mouse, keyboard, DVI and power.

I tried safe mode but several of the drivers wouldn't load in safe mode.

Thank you guys SOOOOOOOOOOOO much, been dealing with this for about 2 weeks now and has caused a massive amount of stress which is gone now thanks to you guys!

See, I told you. I have been doing Formats and Installations all of my life....  :thumbup2:

#15 SuperComputer

SuperComputer

• Banned Spammer
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:53 AM

:flowers:

Edited by SuperComputer, 17 November 2013 - 01:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users