Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something went wrong...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mykel99

Mykel99

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:21 PM

Hi. I have an HP Pavilion dv9608 notebook that was having startup issues. Sometimes it would startup and then shut down, over and over. Overheating seamed to be another problem. The wifi stopped working. The speakers never really worked nor did the built in camera. I proceeded to begin a teardown to check the connections, clean the fan, and reapply thermal paste on the cpu. I have previously done a tear down on a different computer and I'm STILL using that computer. My question and problem is that after putting everything back together on the HP, the computer won't turn on. The light on front of the computer and the light at the power cord come on when it's plugged in but that is it. When I press the power button the computer goes on for 1 second then off. I tore everything down again but I don't see anything wrong.

Can anybody give me any suggestions to try out?  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:45 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

I can not guarantee that I will help you get this laptop up and running again, but I sure will try my best. :wink:

Does this laptop have an nr or ca after the 9608 number?

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Mykel99

Mykel99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:10 AM

Hello Bruce. The computer has the letters nr.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

Do me a favor, check the video at this link and tell me if the dv9000 in that video resembles your motherboard.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/fix-video-failure-hp-pavilion-dv2000-dv6000-dv9000-notebooks/

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

Oh, I located another link I want you to check out and tell me if this is dv9000 series laptop also looks anything like your laptop on the inside.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/remove-hard-drive-memory-wireless-card-keyboard-hp-pavilion-dv9000/

Bruce.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

As MrBruce has alluded to that dv series from HP has hardware problems. They had a AMD processor and nvidia video chip as I see yours does for checking the specifications.

Basic problem is the Video Chip has a manufacturing defect.

The Problem often presents as first, Wireless problems, followed by Video problems. My guess is that when You pulled it apart that extra stress killed the video chip.

Some reading on the problem

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10000910-64.html

Some HP DV9000 series notebooks used potentially defective Nvidia graphics chip

(Credit: CNET Networks)

Dell made a statement Friday regarding the same graphics chip issue. Nvidia published a "Business Update" on July 2 that addressed the problem. The Nvidia defect is centered on a "weak die/packaging material" in certain versions of Nvidia graphics silicon used in laptops. The die refers to the chip itself and the packaging is what encases the chip.

Unfortunately I believe that the recall may be over. You would have to check with HP.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

You've got it Roger. :thumbup2:  

If an OP is confident enough, there is a way to replace the chip if the warranty has expired. The replacement chips are still available, so it's very possible to repair the problem.

Bruce.

#8 Mykel99

Mykel99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

Hello Bruce. I saw the first video and the motherboard looks like mine except for the H-shaped configuration that is right under the fan. I am enclosing a picture file of the MB. I have read the previous answers and I am hoping that I didn't kill the video chip. Before I took apart the computer, the last thing that had gone out was the wi-fi. Also not working was one of the USB ports, a NO AUDIO DEVICE FOUND symbol, no webcam, and the dvd-rw could not be found in the device manager. That seems like quite a bit for a 5 year old laptop. Oh well... If you come up with any ideas, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.Attached File  Motherboard.jpg   205.95KB   0 downloads

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

Well it obvious that different hardware sections of the laptop were failing little by little.

As Roger stated and based on the links I provided above, your issues are well known to other owners of this laptop.

If a controller chip fails or loses its electrical contact to the circuit board, things can stop functioning.

I realize you stated you rechecked everything thoroughly to make sure there is no missing or faulty connections. Did you make sure all the ZIF ribbon cables are secure and making good contact?

Did you recheck to make sure the grounding cables are secure and making a secure electrical contact?

All RF shields are correctly in place and mating with any surfaces they were meant to mate with?

Recheck every chassis screw, make sure none are missing, none are making contact with anything they weren't designed to make contact with.

Make sure the power supply/battery connections and contacts are okay and secured.

If taking the unit apart made matters worse then they were before, then you may have stressed the motherboard or an associated circuit into no longer working. One can try a tap test. A tap test is try tapping the board lightly with a none metallic tool, a pencil will do nicely. Tap and try booting, tap and try to see if taping brings that status back that you once had before you took the unit apart. You might discover an intermittent electrical circuit problem.

It's worth trying, what the heck, you might actually find and correct the problem.

As for a failed video processor, if there is no way to try an external monitor to at least test whether that will work or not, you may have to follow that video in replacing your video processor chip.

Bruce.

#10 Mykel99

Mykel99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:21 PM

Thanks Bruce for your quick reply. I am going to try to heat up the video chip and see if this will work. Since the laptop will only turn on for a split second and then shut off, it doesn't give me too many ways of figuring out the problem. So I'm off to buy a pen torch and I hope I don't burn my house down. If that doesn't work I will endlessly search the internet for the magic answer. Thank you Bruce and Roger for your help.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:56 PM

Hey I have another link to share with you.

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2010/10/06/fix-video-problem-hp-laptops/

In this link a heat gun is being used.

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2011/02/23/fix-laptop-motherboard-with-failed-nvidia-graphics-chip/

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 17 November 2013 - 05:59 PM.

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

FWIW I bought my small torch at Michaels a Arts & Crafts supply store. I've seen t done both ways as well.

As I think I mentioned, The Wireless going wonky is one of the first signs of this problem. I've seen it theorized that the Wireless card gets cooked by the heat. The AMD contributes to that problem by running hotter than a Intel CPU would run.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users