Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ERROR 404 - PAGE NOT FOUND

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 IrishLefty

IrishLefty

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:32 PM

I have Win 7.  I upgraded from IE 8 to IE 11 and all hell broke loose.  Lots of things didn't work.  In particular, I went to WONDERWORD.COM to download the latest puzzle they had and all I got was this:  ERROR 404 - PAGE NOT FOUND.  I've been downloading there for years with no problems.  I then "restored" back to IE 8 and tried it again and the same problem is still there.  That notice is suppose to be for someone "hotlinking" inappropriately, but in this case it's just the normal connection.  Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:42 PM

I get the same thing when click on links in Google Chrome but the main page shows up for www.wonderword.com so its not just you in regards to that.

What other things do not work?

#3 IrishLefty

IrishLefty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

Thanks Bleeping Madman for the really quick reply.  So the web site has problems?  Amazing, I have been going there for years and it never happened before, and in fact I went there only a few hours before I upgraded to IE 11 with no problems. Then while "troubleshooting" my IE 11 problems (mostly with my external devices being screwed up) I just for grins and giggles went back to wonderword and "viola" the problem was there.  You can see why I assumed that it had something to do with the IE 11 upgrade.  Anyway, I decided to stick with IE 8 for a while longer as everything else is back working properly.  Thank you so much.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:29 PM

None of the links work there....get a 404 for all. Don't know if this is relevant, or the site is in Europe, but they have Nov. 17, 2013 as today's date.

I enjoy crosswords, too. This site is new to me so I will be checking back there to see if it is back in business....

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:17 PM

Was there any other updates coupled with the IE11 Windows Update?

#6 IrishLefty

IrishLefty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:42 PM

Thanks Buddy for the info.

cryptodan - There were no other updates (that I know of) with the IE 11 update.

Oh, by the way,  another odd problem that surfaced with this whole thing is my computer time.  It is one hour off.  I had to set it to Arizona time (I'm from California) to have the correct time, and it will not reset correctly.  Interesting?

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

What is the time in the BIOS, can you you tell what kind of computer you have?

And perform the following:

Please download MiniToolBox, and save it to your desktop and run it, and checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

#8 IrishLefty

IrishLefty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:46 PM

Oh, I'm sorry buddy, I forgot to mention the site is from Australia.

#9 IrishLefty

IrishLefty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:48 PM

Thank you crypto  I will do that tomorrow morning and report back.  You guys are GREAT!!!

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

Looking around a bit this morning I did find a page that says they have added a flash player that allows for online working the puzzles

instead of downloading a pdf file. It doesn't give a date for that announcement. Has the Flash player puzzle been around for a while or is

that new to you?

Today's Puzzle

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 IrishLefty

IrishLefty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:00 PM

buddy -

The Flash Player thing is new.  Last Monday (and Wednesday) when they didn't have it, everything worked fine. It's the actual error message that's weird.  That message is for something completely different - an unauthorized hotlink. 

cryptodan -

I still haven't gotten around to the "Mini Toolbox" fix yet.  I played golf this morning, and guess what takes precedence?

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

Well then, there you have it, something went south...well, if they are located in Aussie land then I suppose it is north..:)...with the introduction of

the Flash app....it'll probably get fixed soon.

#13 IrishLefty

IrishLefty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

Thanks guys.  You're all awesome.

#14 IrishLefty

IrishLefty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:44 PM

Regarding my computer time being one hour off - I clicked on the computer time display (lower right hand corner) and then clicked on "Change Date and Time Settings" and then clicked on the "Internet Time" tab, then on "Change Settings" and then checked in the box for "Synchronize with Internet Time Server" and then clicked on "Update Now" which corrected my computer time, and then finally I clicked on my "Gadget" clock and reset the time zone back to "Pacific.".   All's well that ends well.   Thanks again guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users