Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice on pending system repair problem.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:25 PM

Hi folks, when i do the chkdsk command to see if my system is in order i get either a :

#1/   all is ok message and no problems 

#2/   a repair is pending and to restart your computer and run chkdsk again  (this goes way back to a time when a system repair started but never finished and i believe it's frozen in my system somewhere )

#3/  the bitmap is incorrect and to run chkdsk /f to repair but when i do that it never works because a process is using it

So i'm baffled ,  every time i do it in safe mode or regular mode i get a different message , is there any way i can use some sort of code to reset all the settings and get this straightened out?

Thank you  

Edited by herbman, 16 November 2013 - 07:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:06 AM

The command "chkdsk" is useless. You need to run chkdsk /r as follows:

right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r  (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

If you wish to run checkdisk on a drive other than your system partition (c: drive) the command would be: chkdsk d: /r or chkdsk e: /r, etc.

#3 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

The command "chkdsk" is useless. You need to run chkdsk /r as follows:

right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r  (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

If you wish to run checkdisk on a drive other than your system partition (c: drive) the command would be: chkdsk d: /r or chkdsk e: /r, etc.

Well i'm back ,  i thought your info cured my problem and it did for a while as the chkdsk logs showed everything was ok but i ran it again a week later and the original message is back .

Bitmap is incorrect and there is a system repair pending and to  run chkdsk /f  to fix  but i ran chkdsk /r like you said and it fixed it temporarily .   Is there a way to reset everything so this can be fixed permanently.

Thanks

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:33 PM

You are running Windows 7, correct? Have you installed SP1? If not, please do so.

#5 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:36 PM

You are running Windows 7, correct? Have you installed SP1? If not, please do so.

Apologies about not being around, had a family emergency.  I do have SP1 installed, always have but i still always get that message.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:43 AM

Why are you continually running checkdisk? Do you have any problems or messages other than when you run checkdisk?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users