Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update seems to have left me in the System account.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 danjkf

danjkf

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

Had to reinstall the OS.

Upon booting into the re-installed drive, it ran a ton of Windows Updates.

The Windows Update control panel tells me they all completed however when I login under my own username this is what I get:

USERNAME=SYSTEM
USERPROFILE=C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile

I'm guessing that Windows Update left me in this state.

How do I get back to my own Profile?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:00 PM

Does your profile exist, can you go into user accounts and verify that its there?

#3 danjkf

danjkf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:07 PM

You probably mean in Comptuer Management as opposed to the c:\users\username directory.

Both are there.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

Also check in User Accounts in Control Panel as that is where you should be managing your local account settings, and try creating a new account via control panel and try logging into it.

#5 danjkf

danjkf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

When I open User Accounts from Control Panel, it's targeted to my username.

And yet I open up a cmd; do a set; and see username and userprofile set to System.

All kinds of stuff isn't working because I'm not targeted to my normal Account.

Haven't tried making a new Account yet but that's in part because I'd like to get back my original Account settings.  That is, as I think of it I want USERPROFILE set to

c:\users\username

and not

c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

Well creating a new user account is only a test once that has been accomplished and tested to not revert back to systemprofile we can move on to your personal account.

#7 danjkf

danjkf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

Created a new account and when I logged into it, it was 'itself.'  In this case USERPROFILE was set to

c:\users\newaccount

Then yet another Windows update arived and I installed it.  Rebooted and logged in as 'myself' and landed in System again.  Moreover this time, my theme is gone, the background is black, and I got an error message I last saw yesterday: something about "You're been logged into the System profile, see the Event log".  Um, yeah right - thanks.  How do I get out of here?

I can probably duplicate the message if I log out and back in again.

Is there perhaps some tie between my landing in the System account and the fact that a whole ton of Windows Updates have just arrived?

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:34 PM

Your primary user account could have become so badly corrupted that you are logging into the System Profile.

go back to your new account, and go into Computer Management then to Local Users and Group double click on your username that is logging into the systemprofile then go to Profile Tab and see whats listed.

There could be a correlation, but I doubt it.

#9 danjkf

danjkf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:03 PM

I realized what I can do.

Make a copy of my old c:\users\username1 directory tree and keep that for the files in it.

Then delete that account and then recreate it since that's the name I want to use.

Once I do so I should be able to login again as username1 although it will have only the default settings.  I can rebuild its setitngs and use files from the saved tree as needed.

I don't want to stay as SYSTEM in c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile.  The SYSTEM account is not supposed to be used as a daily user account and it seems to undesirable qualities as a daily account.  For one thing, the video settings seem funky.  Rather than 'fix' them under SYSTEM, I should rebuild username1 and work on things there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users