Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Proud XPer

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 picklefish

picklefish

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

Just thought I would put it out there. My computer was state of the art when I bought it back in the day. It still runs pretty good now, and since I am not a gamer!, or someone who uses a large amount of video files....I expect it will continue to run that way. Unfortunately, thanks to the computer gods, I must upgrade eventually......not nice. Here's to procrastinating till the final moment though!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 picklefish

picklefish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

Operating System
Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3 version 2002.
CPU
Intel Pentium 4
Northwood 0.13um Technology
RAM
2.00GB DDR @ 133MHz (2.5-3-3-6)
Motherboard
Dell Computer Corp.
Graphics
HP x20LED (1440x900@60Hz)
128MB ATI VISIONTEK Xtasy RADEON 9550 (VISIONTEK)
128MB ATI VISIONTEK Xtasy RADEON 9550 - Secondary (VISIONTEK)
CrossFire Disabled
Hard Drives
75GB Western Digital WDC WD800BB-75CAA0 (ATA)
Optical Drives
PHILIPS DVD+RW-D28
Audio
HD Webcam C51

Just thought I'd put this on here as well. I think the vid card was the only thing I have ever upgraded and that was years ago as well.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:21 PM

I guess that I'm missing the point of your topic...since you seem to have no system problem.

Can you clarify?

Louis

#4 picklefish

picklefish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

no point or problem. pointless I guess. Sorry, I didn't realize this was only for problems..if it is.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:55 AM

Well...this is from the Main Forum Wepage , a capsule description of this forum:

"Use this forum to discuss, ask questions, and give answers for the Windows XP Home and Professional operating systems."

We have a Gen Chat forujm that you may want to visit, the capsule diescription for it follows:

"Boredom is a universal constant on the Internet. For the purposes of boredom-abatement, this forum may be used to post topics of a general, non-help related nature. Help Bleeping Computer lead the fight against boredom today!"

Hope that clarifies what each forum and subforum might reflect as content and participation.

Louis

#6 picklefish

picklefish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:42 PM

absolutely, and again my appologies. I hope there is a moderator who can move this thread to the appropriate location. I tried to delete it and it wouldn't let me. Thanks for the insight.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

No apology necessary...I moved to Gen Chat :).

Louis

#8 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:28 AM

My sister thinks like you. Her's is a relic running a Pentium 4 and, up until a couple of months ago a whooping 512 MBs of RAM. That was upgraded to a full GB after stroll through the local Staples found me walking out of there with a matching RAM stick for about 3 dollars.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#9 picklefish

picklefish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:54 AM

Good for her! If you buy quality and take care of it, it will last. If all you do is surf websites, facebook and gasp email, then its really all you need. In my opinion.

#10 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

Good for her! If you buy quality and take care of it, it will last. If all you do is surf websites, facebook and gasp email, then its really all you need. In my opinion.

And after that RAM upgrade she can now watch Netflix reasonably well.

#11 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

@ Bezukhov

Could I please ask you how do you know what kind of RAM to get for your computer? I did not know it was that cheap...and yes my little old 'puter is on par with what your sister's was...and more than likely just as old...

#12 picklefish

picklefish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

I really don't know. Basically I bought another memory stick that was identical to the one that was already there. Then I found out that the memory capability wasn't as large as the memory installed, lol. I just left it in there and took what it gave me. My computing needs don't go into power computing by any streach of the imagination. website viewing is all I really need it for now a days.

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:34 PM

That machine would run Linux Mint nicely.... you would find it a very short learning curve as new Mint versions are very Windowsesque. Not a uber-geek OS at all.

#14 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:42 AM

@ Bezukhov

Could I please ask you how do you know what kind of RAM to get for your computer? I did not know it was that cheap...and yes my little old 'puter is on par with what your sister's was...and more than likely just as old...

Here you go:

Sony VAIO Digital Studio PCV-RS520

Installed Size 512.0 MB / 2.0 GB (max)
Technology DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed 333.0 MHz
Memory Specification Compliance PC2700
Form Factor DIMM 184-pin
Upgrade Rule Max 2 GB module

The new one I put in wasn't an exact match,but it worked nevertheless. The price I got it for was just a lucky break for me.  I, for once, was neither a day late, nor a dollar short. 

#15 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:28 PM

I also have Pentium 4 PC at home with 512 KB of RAM I think. The motherboard having problem loading the HDD so stop using it about 1 year now. Quite slow but acceptable.

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users