Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

200GB hd full, but with what?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 picklefish

picklefish

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

My son has a laptop, compaq, that has a 215GB hard drive. Not counting the partitions for the OS and the recovery, it is choc o block full. I managed to free up 10 gigs through the downloads folder and such but I cannot find the mystery 150 gigs of data and I have searched that thing. I am tempted to copy all his data to an external drive and reinstall the OS. BUT, since I am still a learnin, I thought it would be interesting to solve the mystery. Any thoughts on where else to search? 

When I say I searched through everything, I mean file by file even through the sys32. I never found anything above a few hundred megs. I figured it was either a log file gone amuck or the boy downloading large game files but I cant find a smoking gun file or collection of files that come remotely close to 5 gigs let alone 150.

It will be interesting to see whats up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:02 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Have you searched the drive for the following file formats? .MP4, .VOB, .WMV, .AVI, .MKV, .FLV or 3GP? Using the windows search tool, you can use wild cards such as *.*.MP4. That is star dot star then the extension .MP4 and allow the search to take place. Those files are video files and take up a lot of space. MP3s are another file teenagers have a habit of downloading a lot of.

Laptop's are often loaded down with programs that are automatically installed on the computer during factory reset or when the laptop was assembled at the warehouse and the operating system was added. Some programs are useful and some are basically stripped down versions that require upgrades (requiring a registration fee) to be fully functional.

Let me know what you find when searching out those video files.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 picklefish

picklefish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

Whilst browsing the other threads I found a link to this sites utilities downloads. I downloaded the utility "folder size".....holy cow! That was so awesome, we were able to find and see exactly where the files were! So easy and deleted them right in the app. They were minecraft recordings of my son playing the game, lol. It was a nice visual for him to see what he is doing to his memory when he isn't careful. I told him I would get him an external hard drive for christmas er...Santa would, lol. Then he could save those crazy vids off his computer all together. Now his pc is performing swiftly once again. Thank you (this site) for the awesome app!

@MrBruce, thanks for your reply, you were spot on with the video files. Dxtory is the recording program, I did not take note of the file extension for it though. The "folder size" utility made it a piece of cake to find and remove.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:57 PM

Glad to hear you found the culprits. :thumbup2:

I am also glad to hear that this site was the resource you used to solve the mystery.

Happy computing from the BC team! :santa:

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users