Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Pc Just Died!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ZooMa

ZooMa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:12 AM

Hi, this has never happened before...I was sitting at the desktop yesterday afternoon when the computer powered off by itself. The monitor came back on and says it is working. The computer will not come back on the monitor. It seems to be working, but different. I have been able to power on but there is an amber light where I swear it was a blue light when working properly. Don't know if that's relevant or not. Also while I can power on at the tower, I cannot power off there, have to use switch behind the computer to power off. Does not seem to be booting up, but I can hear a fan running. Any help or suggestions appreciated. It is only 3 yrs old, running WinXP home. <--when it was running :thumbsup: TIA ~Andi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:37 AM

I think your motherboard fried. That's all I can pull off the top of my head. Have you checked the connections inside? The monitor connection? It could be a number of things.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:55 AM

Have you consulted the owner's manual or the manufacture's WEB site/800 help desk to see if there is an indication what an amber verses blue light might mean?

Edited by just me, 02 May 2006 - 11:56 AM.

#4 cowee

cowee

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:26 PM

I would disconnect the power from the pc and then remove your cmos battery. Let it sit for about 30 seconds and try to power it on again.

#5 ZooMa

ZooMa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:30 PM

Motherboard crossed my mind too. Just seemed like something "fried" the way it just went off. Looked up the light issue at tech support (duh?) and steady yellow means the pc is sleeping. Used to be green when working properly. here is info; http://www.powerspec.com/support/system_boards/mu440ex.html
this problem is new to me. I have done a few minor things, upgrading memorys, installed cd burners/drives, and software problems. I'm lost. Thanks for the help!! ~Andi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users