Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop shutdown after RAM upgrade

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sandipapatel

sandipapatel

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

Recently,

I upgraded my Dell Studio 1555 Laptop's 3GB DDR2 RAM to 4GB DDR2 RAM.
I had 1x2GB,1x1GB RAM. From which I removed the 1GB RAM and inserted 2GB new RAM of transcend.
After that, mostly once or twice in a week my computer automatically gets Shut Down and not Restart. No blue-screen nothing else. Simply shut down without any error.
I am running windows 8 pro. links are detail info images of both RAM. Please check it.

https://db.tt/UwNH2FTo
https://db.tt/n3aHhRAz

What can be peoblem and its solution if any?

Thanks,
Sandip Patel

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

From what you are describing, you problem did not start happening until you replaced the 1 GB RAM module in slot #2 with a 2 GB module.

RAM mismatch could be one of the culprits. In other words, sometimes RAM modules from different manufacturers do not always play together well in the same computer system. The RAM may be the correct type, it's just the electronics inside the dies that don't get along well.

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files
  • List Restore Points
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Next, we need a better understanding as to how your computer system is currently setup.

Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.
  • Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.
  • You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

====================

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

speccyq.png
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
You will see the following prompt:
publish.png
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
copydi.png

====================

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the reply.png button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Congrats! You have just posted your specs! :)

Once you have posted the above information, we'll take it from there.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 16 November 2013 - 02:23 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 sandipapatel

sandipapatel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:10 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

From what you are describing, you problem did not start happening until you replaced the 1 GB RAM module in slot #2 with a 2 GB module.

RAM mismatch could be one of the culprits. In other words, sometimes RAM modules from different manufacturers do not always play together well in the same computer system. The RAM may be the correct type, it's just the electronics inside the dies that don't get along well.

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files
  • List Restore Points
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Next, we need a better understanding as to how your computer system is currently setup.

Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.
  • Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.
  • You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

====================

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

speccyq.png
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
You will see the following prompt:
publish.png
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
copydi.png

====================

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the reply.png button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Congrats! You have just posted your specs! :)

Once you have posted the above information, we'll take it from there.

Bruce.

I think the problem is something else.

I removed the upgraded RAM and put the same original RAM back in laptop.
Still tonight it happened after almost 6hrs.
I completely opened Laptop and already changed the HitSINK gum. Also, I checked the fan.
Opened the fan from hit sink and removed all dust from there. Fan is also moving fine.

I have dual OS. Windows XP and Windows 8.1. Can there be problem with this?
Though I used Windows 7 & XP dual OS 3 years and nearly since 7-8 months I was using Windows 8 and XP dual mode. No problem till then. Since almost 2.5 years my laptop battery is giving 5-10 min backup and DVD writer not working. No hardware changes now still I suffer for this shut-down problem.
Normally temperature of CPU is hardly more than 75+. On and average is about 57C.

This problem occurrs only after Windows 8.1 upgrade and XP was as it is during Windows 8 & XP dual OS..
Can the issue be related with GPU? I upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1 by and update.

My laptop configuration is as listed - http://tinyurl.com/mjlpy84
Using piriform speccy snapshot of my system is as - https://db.tt/emGVcpB9

What should I do? Any Idea?

#4 sandipapatel

sandipapatel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

As updated in previous reply, shut-down occurs in both cases as tested now.

Original laptop configs with 3GB RAM by speccy. and MiniToolBox Result

https://db.tt/emGVcpB9

https://db.tt/IeOpwG9a

Upgraded MiniToolbox Result when having 4GB RAM.

Upgraded RAM details images are already in my original post.

https://db.tt/x4WktX9k

Thanks.

Edited by sandipapatel, 22 November 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:24 PM

Going back to post #1 you stated the following:

"I upgraded my Dell Studio 1555 Laptop's 3GB DDR2 RAM to 4GB DDR2 RAM.
I had 1x2GB,1x1GB RAM. From which I removed the 1GB RAM and inserted 2GB new RAM of transcend.
After that, mostly once or twice in a week my computer automatically gets Shut Down and not Restart. No blue-screen nothing else. Simply shut down without any error.
I am running windows 8 pro. links are detail info images of both RAM. Please check it."

What exactly is the laptop doing during this shut down?

Is it idle?

Is someone playing game?

Searching the web?

Is the laptop on the power supply or does it happen while powered solely by the battery?

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 sandipapatel

sandipapatel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

Going back to post #1 you stated the following:

"I upgraded my Dell Studio 1555 Laptop's 3GB DDR2 RAM to 4GB DDR2 RAM.
I am running windows 8 pro. links are detail info images of both RAM. Please check it."

What exactly is the laptop doing during this shut down?

Is it idle?

Is someone playing game?

Searching the web?

Is the laptop on the power supply or does it happen while powered solely by the battery?

Bruce.

@Bruce

Just browsing in Firefox.

Not Idle. Some time other work with browsing. Like listening music,development,movie watching.

Never played a single game on this laptop since purchase.

Yes. Web surfing.

Yes power supply always on with battery attached. As sometimes electricity goes down for 2-3 mins then let me shut down properly or sleep.

#7 sandipapatel

sandipapatel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:09 PM

Help needed for new - found reason by MSForum.

Other NW service related reason is found on my above thread of MS Forum . Please help me to resolve it.

Thanks,
Sandip.

Edited by sandipapatel, 09 December 2013 - 11:10 PM.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:52 PM

No matter what I do with your link above it uses http://http// and does not resolve.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 09 December 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#9 sandipapatel

sandipapatel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

Now link is working. @Bruce

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:24 PM

Now link is working. @Bruce

Thank you looking over that thread at MS. :thumbup2:

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users