Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What to replace my laptop with?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nikkij07

nikkij07

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:32 AM

I am in the IT field and need to replace my personal laptop. My home use of my laptop is 75% basic user (internet/email) and 25% IT related stuff. I am currently running Windows 7 and love it. I have an older Android tablet that I may get replaced as a christmas present as well. I would like to get another Windows 7 laptop, which I can still find in some places. My specs for a laptop would be 1TB hard drive, i7 processor (or maybe settle for an i5), 8GB RAM, and a multi card reader would be a plus. I was asked why I don't just get a tablet with a dockable keyboard like Surface. I'm not sure if I am ready for the change to completely mobile, plus I don't think I can give up my num pad or go to Windows 8. Does anyone know of an Ultrabook with a full keyboard or if I go the tablet route, a tablet with a full keyboard availability? I like the concept of the Surface and snap on keyboard. I also like the concept of convertible laptops. The Dell XPS convertible is pretty neat. For IT people out there, is Windows 8 in a tablet environment bad? I've used it on a desktop a couple of times and wanted to bang my head against the desk. My plans for my old laptop involve hooking up to a TV for media center, so it will still be around somewhere.

If I decide to go the mobile route, Windows 8 or Android? I currently use my Android exclusively to play games on. (I have a company iPhone, iOS7 is nice, so Apple isn't completely out of the picture.)

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by nikkij07, 16 November 2013 - 11:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

Asus Transformer 701 performs nicely and has a keyboard available. If you want to go the Android tablet with keyboard route.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:53 PM

If you work in IT don't buy gizmos, touchscreens, all in ones etc., they break. Get a good standard Pro-Book or Elite-Book (HP) or something equivalent... You can upgrade them as you move forward, and when your OS is outdated you can drop Linux on them for another extended lifetime of use.... Don't get sucked into the commercial junk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users