Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a desktop PC that will run XP and W7?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ukdodger

ukdodger

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

Hi, My old desktop has packed up finally after many years of devoted service running XP. Frankly I hate W7 (which I have on a laptop) but it looks like the future so eventually I'm going to have to live with it. But meanwhile I'd like to run with XP for the forseeable future. I'm a novice and I'd appreciate help finding a replacement desktop. I'd like a fast processor to run games and if possible two disks with XP on one and W7 on the other and a means of switching between the two. I could do that on my old PC by changing the boot order.

Thanks

RD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

What's the budget?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

FWIW:  Win 7 is the present, having displaced XP as the most widely used version of Windows...some time ago.

Oct, 2011

As for running XP and Win 7 on same system...many persons do that (including myself) and the system requirements for Win 7 are easily met by just about any computer produced in the last 5 years.  My 5-year assertion is a generalization on my par,, since I suspect that many systems not released in the last 5...still meet the minimum requirements to boot/run Win 7.

Minimal System Requirements, Win 7

Dual-booting just implies that two versions of Windows are installed on the same system...has been done for many years by various users with various versions of Windows and can be done using two different partitions on the same drive or two separate physical drives.  When the system boots, the user is given a choice of which Windows version that he/she wants to boot into.

As for finding a new desktop...there are tons of them out there...the chief factor of purchasing one should be...the amount of money you want to spend...and the future anticipated use of the system.  IMO, most persons overspend on new systems and try to compensate for it by pretending that newer, better technology was never developed and will never be developed again.  We have a forum for such that you can use for more info on buying a new computer, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/171/questions-and-advice-for-buying-a-new-computer/ .  I suggest that you visit it and do not exaggerate your needs/wants because some members will feed your their perspective on what you should need or want...which is colored by their own perspectives on spending.  Some are overzealous computer addicts, IMO :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 November 2013 - 11:06 AM.

#4 ukdodger

ukdodger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

FWIW:  Win 7 is the present, having displaced XP as the most widely used version of Windows...some time ago.

Oct, 2011

As for running XP and Win 7 on same system...many persons do that (including myself) and the system requirements for Win 7 are easily met by just about any computer produced in the last 5 years.  My 5-year assertion is a generalization on my par,, since I suspect that many systems not released in the last 5...still meet the minimum requirements to boot/run Win 7.

Minimal System Requirements, Win 7

Dual-booting just implies that two versions of Windows are installed on the same system...has been done for many years by various users with various versions of Windows and can be done using two different partitions on the same drive or two separate physical drives.  When the system boots, the user is given a choice of which Windows version that he/she wants to boot into.

As for finding a new desktop...there are tons of them out there...the chief factor of purchasing one should be...the amount of money you want to spend...and the future anticipated use of the system.  IMO, most persons overspend on new systems and try to compensate for it by pretending that newer, better technology was never developed and will never be developed again.  We have a forum for such that you can use for more info on buying a new computer, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/171/questions-and-advice-for-buying-a-new-computer/ .  I suggest that you visit it and do not exaggerate your needs/wants because some members will feed your their perspective on what you should need or want...which is colored by their own perspectives on spending.  Some are overzealous computer addicts, IMO :).

Louis

Very illuminating Louis. Thanks a lot.

I didnt receive email notifications of these replies Louis despite my profile saying email is selected??

Edited by ukdodger, 16 November 2013 - 06:21 PM.

#5 ukdodger

ukdodger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:16 PM

What's the budget?

Say £500. I assume my existing monitor, an ACER, will work with any PC. Likewise my sound system.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

Are you restricted to purcchasing from UK vendors?

If so, make that clear in the new topic you open in the Buying New forum.

Louis

#7 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:39 PM

You said 'My old desktop". How old? is the case/power supply ATX compatible? You might think about rebuilding.

Edited by davnel, 19 November 2013 - 10:40 PM.

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:15 AM

Hi

If you plan to use "Windows XP" on the new systems, don't buy fourth generation "Intel" processors. Neither "Intel" nor the motherboard vendors seems to provide "Windows XP" drivers for the newer 8 series chipset boards.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 20 November 2013 - 03:16 AM.

#9 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:58 AM

You have a point. I just did a little research, and it's going to hard to find anything older than the Intel z7x or z8x motherboards. The few x58 boards I found were grossly expensive, and so were the CPUs. An i7-920 was over $300 US! I must be in the wrong racket.

In most cases, XP drivers are still available from the manufacturers. My system is a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H board with an Intel Core i7-3770 (not -K) CPU. I had no problem with the motherboard drivers in XP. The driver installer on the CD detected the fact that I was installing from XP and loaded the appropriate drivers. For newer boards, go direct to the manufacturer's site and download the XP driver set for it.

You can get a Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H for $100US after rebate, and an Intel Core I3 CPU for under $150US or a Core i5 for under $200US. That gets the base machine for around £200, then add 8GB memory £100, and a decent hard disk <£50 and maybe a new power supply, again <£50 and you've got the whole thing for £400. No video card is needed unless you want to get into heavy gaming.

Just a thought.

Edited by davnel, 20 November 2013 - 04:04 AM.

#10 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:26 AM

Hey there ukdodger, I also wanted to mention in case you weren't aware of it, that the Pro version of Windows 7 features a Windows XP Mode, which I've used, and might be another way for you to use XP whilst also having hardware that can run Win 7, while you're transitioning to it.

Some basic notes can be found here.

Winterland

Edited by Winterland, 20 November 2013 - 05:27 AM.

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#11 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:52 AM

Ah, yes. The XP mode. This is done as a virtualized system. It does NOT come with Win 7, you have to download it from Microsoft. There's two files, the virtualizer (Virtual PC), and XP itself, which comes prelicensed and preconfigured for that environment. Also, although they claim it ain't necessary now, it's faster and better to have a CPU with virtualization built in. It does, however solve the driver problem nicely, since you are using the Win 7 I/O system. The package is available with Win 7 Pro and Ultimate. I wouldn't run it in any less than 8GB of RAM, preferably 12 or 16, or more. 4GB will be taken up by XP, plus whatever you set up as a disk.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Edited by davnel, 20 November 2013 - 05:54 AM.

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:04 AM

I thought the same (run XP Mode, available in Pro/Ultimate/Enterprise) but the OP is looking for features (I'd like a fast processor to run games...) that M$ freely admits are not available in XP Mode

...Windows XP Mode was primarily designed to help businesses move from Windows XP to Windows 7. It isn't optimized for graphic-intensive programs such as 3D games, nor is it well suited for programs with hardware requirements such as TV tuners...

#13 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:17 AM

OK, your stated budget is £500 or $806US. Since I know my setup works for XP as well as Win 7 and 8.1, I would recommend something similar:

Mobo Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H         $200

CPU   Intel Core i7-3770 (not -K) -      $290

unless you insist on overclocking, the K version gains nothing and loses some virtualization features.

Memory: I'm running 32GB of Kingston Black 1600. You need at least 16GB. For best performance, fill all four memory slots.

4x4GB - $150 - $200                $156

PSU - Antec EA-650                            $ 80

Disk:   1TB WD or Seagate                  $ 80

=====================================

Total                                                     $806US = £499

All prices are current Newegg US

You can probably get better prices if you do a little judicious shopping around, and look for sales.

Memory prices have gone up since I bought mine (June 2013). Tiger Direct sold me two 2x8GB kits for $114.99 each or $229.98. They're up to over $300 for the same thing now.

This assumes your case is usable (ATX compatible).

If you want super graphics you'll have to add a good video card. The HD4000 GPU in the i7-3770 is pretty good for general purpose stuff. I'm running 1920x1080x60 very nicely on it. A graphics handler (switcher) program is included on the driver disk.

The Gigabyte board includes provision for a bootable mSATA SSD on board if you wish.

#14 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:24 AM

By the way, if you are running Windows 8.1, XP mode will run there also. It runs under Hyper-V, which is included with Windows. However, I would recommend dual-booting XP and Win 7 or 8.1. Install XP first in a 160GB partition and activate it, then Win 7 or 8.0 in the unallocated space. Win 8.1 has to be an upgrade from 7 or 8.0. Either has to be fully updated before the Microsoft Store will offer the upgrade to 8.1.

You will notice that I didn't include a CPU cooler for this setup. You don't need it unless you go to an i7-3770K and overclock it. I was running Clonezilla to do a backup of my boot drive the other day, in NTPART mode. It was running all 8 threads in the CPU at about 94% for a good half hour. The CPU temp never exceeded 68C with the stock Intel cooler. This is a 77 Watt processor that stays pretty cool even under heavy loads.

Edited by davnel, 20 November 2013 - 07:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users