Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 claryfray

claryfray

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:06 AM

Hi! So, my computer prompted me to update my wifi adapter because apparently I disconnected to the internet once, and that updating would fix my problem. It told me via the little flag popup on the menu bar, so after downloading whatever it is it told me to download which is a file labeled "V9.2.0.514_Win7_32_64_logo", I am unable to connect to the internet. I have restarted my computer a couple of times and each time, it would give me a small window of 3 minutes of internet connection before dropping completely dead, just like that. I am unable to locate any network at all, mine or my neighbor's, which is funny because I am connected to my network through wifi on my phone and so is another computer.

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with my problem. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:20 AM

Have you tried using Windows' "System Restore" to roll Windows back to a previous state when your computer was functioning correctly? It allows you to undo system changes without affecting your personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos.

#3 claryfray

claryfray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

I have no idea how to do a system restore. I've always thought it involves wiping your computer down to its bare state.

#4 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

Microsoft.com > Windows 7

#5 claryfray

claryfray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

System restore did not complete successfully. Something about being unable to access a file, apparently I have to disable my antivirus??? Error 0x8007005. Do you reckon I caught a virus?

#6 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:34 AM

Try running System Restore in Safe mode.

Edited by SpywareDoc, 16 November 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#7 claryfray

claryfray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

But that means there won't be a restore point? Is that wise? I apologize, it's just I've never had to do a system restore before. Plus my computer is freezing so bad(not sure if it's the driver causing it to freeze) it's hard for me to do anything at all.

#8 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:14 AM

The same restore points are there in Safe mode.

The reason for trying it in Safe mode is so that from none to a minimal number of conflict-causing programs will not be running.

#9 claryfray

claryfray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:37 PM

Did the system restore and everything seems to be fine, except the freezing but I guess that's a problem for another section. Thanks, I'll update if anything changes for the worse.

#10 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

Good to hear it's back on the internet. :)

Do you get any kind of an error message when it freezes? If so, can you post a pic of it?

Does it freeze when it's just sitting there or only when you use it? If only when you're using it, is it always when you're doing the same thing?

Does it also freeze in "Safe mode with networking"?

How long ago did the freezing start?

#11 claryfray

claryfray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

Okay, my computer has had a freezing problem for as long as I can remember(it's a little over two years old). Freezing always occurs when I'm running two or more programs at any time like iTunes, a download manager, and surfing a site loaded with pictures. It's a problem, yes, but for the most part, I've chose to ignore the problem because it's just much easier than running multiple tests overnight, taking out sticks of ram or the motherboard and testing it(I have no idea how to take apart my computer and those were the common internet suggestions when I google "computer freezing"). But really, the main reason for not really pursuing the problem was that the computer would unfreeze itself in a couple of minutes. It happened very frequently, but all I needed to do was wait a couple of minutes. Occasionally, I would get the BSOD, but that was nothing compared to now.

After updating my driver, my computer would freeze with no error message, and after twenty long minutes, I realized I had to do a hard reboot. This happened fifteen times in like, two hours. It would happen randomly, I could be just looking around in some folders, or just surfing a news site, it would freeze. It had nothing to do with me running two or more programs at once. And always, I've had to resort to a hard reboot.

I was only in safe mode with networking for a short couple of minutes, to do the system restore, but no, there wasn't a problem then. Since I did the system restore, shouldn't the problem go away? Shouldn't it be back to "freezing and unfreezing in a couple of minutes", and not "freezing and requiring a hard reboot"?

#12 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

Download, install and run Speccy. Click File > Publish Snapshot > Yes > Copy to Clipboard and then paste in the URL you just copied into a Reply to this thread. 

#13 claryfray

claryfray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:22 AM

Oh, and the problem is back :( Lost connection, not a single network to be found.

Edited by claryfray, 17 November 2013 - 10:23 AM.

#14 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:29 AM

How far are you from your WiFi router?

#15 claryfray

claryfray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

Quite a distance away, and I don't have a cable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users