Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Custom Laptop Your (know-how) advice please!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 SpyCatcher*

SpyCatcher*

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:01 AM

hi ya’ all,

So with the haunting 8 April lurking in the corner, and the holidays are just an arm reach I’ve  finally decided to make my pongee jump :whistle:

My 9 year old laptop Inspiron 1150 however it looks as if it can outlast me, sadly enough it’s too old for the new guy in the block, Windows 8 is what I mean. I could upgrade the RAM to 1GB and dual XP with W7; but form what I’ve read in this great forum W7 would be slow, plus I’m not sure about W7 drivers compatibility. After giving it a long thought I made up my mind to see if I can get a new laptop with W8 & W7.

So the other day I went to a local computer shop to inform about the possibility of getting such a laptop; according to the guy in the shop I should be able to buy W7 and dual with W8 on a new laptop with a pre-installed W8 on it. So here comes my first question, though divided in secondaries:

If you have both W7 & W8 on your PC would you care to explain the followings please:

• How are they installed?
  • How is the performance?
  • Is there any conflict or instability?

My second question goes about the hardware. But I guess I should first mention what should I be using the laptop for:

• Intensive simultaneous internet use for researching, with multi You tube clips at the same time
  • Video & photo editing/ Music mixing
  • Website hosting

I’ve a general idea about the hardware:

• 1 SSD 120 (?) GB for both OS’s, your advice on a good quality brand please
  • 1 HDD 3 TB for data
  • 1 Extern SSD 120 for OS’s Partitions' Images
  • 1 Extern HDD 500 GB for data backups
  • CPU Your advice please
  • GUI  Your advice please
  • RAM 16 GB
  • ≥ 17,3” Screen
  • Robust brand that could last 9 years, maybe more
  • Both wired & wireless Ethernet adapters
  • Did I forget anything? :idea:
  • Of course USB 3.0 ports

Please your thoughts about this laptop setup! :clapping: 

I would go for up to € 1000 which is about $ 1350.

Thank you,

Thomas

:hello:

in the middle of the night

i found my self awake

floating in a void

i was so happy

and realized was not alone

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:59 AM

Hi

If you have both W7 & W8 on your PC would you care to explain the followings please:

• How are they installed?
  • How is the performance?
  • Is there any conflict or instability?

I am running Windows 8 with The Classic Shell software added.

It would have to be some sort of customized laptop to have both Windows 7 and Windows 8 on it.

No Windows, Not needed. Everything runs except that Windows 8 versions of AntiVirus are needed.

Performance is Good and as expected for this hardware.

This Lenovo AIO 23" display is Stable and runs fine.

• 1 SSD 120 (?) GB for both OS’s, your advice on a good quality brand please
  • 1 HDD 3 TB for data
  • 1 Extern SSD 120 for OS’s Partitions' Images
  • 1 Extern HDD 500 GB for data backups
  • CPU Your advice please
  • GUI  Your advice please
  • RAM 16 GB
  • ≥ 17,3” Screen
  • Robust brand that could last 9 years, maybe more
  • Both wired & wireless Ethernet adapters
  • Did I forget anything? :idea:
  • Of course USB 3.0 ports

You are talking about a limited selection of laptops that can take two hard drives.

3TB? and only a 120GB SSD, I run 160Gb to 500Gb on my SSD drives.

I have not seen a 3Tb 2.5" laptop hard drive.

Since You specified USB3 ports. Use USB3 External portable 1Tb or 2Tb drives. The portable versions get their power from the USB3 port.

You are talking about a waste of money by using a External SSD drive for OS partitions and Images. my System drive is 1Tb so I use 1Tb externals for backup.

Intel and Samsung for a SSD. Samsung for example has a reasonable for SSD costs, a 1TB SSD.

Do not go so small for a backup drive and run more than one in rotation too.

Larger than 17" display, You are talking about a moderately heavy laptop.

Are You sure You need a laptop? Would a All-In-One Desktop work. With a wireless Keyboard, mouse and Wireless Network they only require one Power cord to the computer.

CPU, I would go I5 or I7.

GUI? I think You mean GPU?

You did not indicate Gaming so Built in Intel video would be fine.

I was playing back BluRay disks on a Intel Q6600 computer with Built-In video and no problems.

Look at the Requirements for Your Video Editing software and keep in mind that the faster the CPU the faster Video encodes will run.

Normally Video software gets the most benefit for the expense from a fast CPU, Much less important, memory and dead last is the Video card in my experience.

This is based on capturing 1080i video and encoding and authoring, Burning on a BluRay blank to BluRay standards for use in a BluRay player.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 17 November 2013 - 12:00 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 SpyCatcher*

SpyCatcher*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:36 AM

hi rotor123,

Thanks so much for your well informing and quick answer. I’ve read it and will be studying it then posting back in a couple of days, probably (most likely :)) with a request if you kindly could shed some light on some particular points. Thing is I don’t know so much about hardware setups and acquiring such a laptop will be a challenging venture which I think its worth the effort; also its going to be a tough choice.  

Modules mentioned in your post prompt me to do some searching and I came across some CPU favorable functions like: Turbo Boost Technology, Hyper-Threading,Thermal Design Point (TDP) and Virtualization Technology which make me think it could be good cornerstone for choosing the laptop. I think I’ll be going for Acer-i7, but which module :scratchhead: !?

I do tend to prefer a laptop than an all-in-desktop. 

Thanks

i found my self awake

floating in a void

i was so happy

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

OK, Lets looks at those. They are not a separate module. They are built-into the CPU.

Turbo Boost Technology

Provide more performance with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0, automatically allowing cores to run faster than the base operating frequency.

Hyper-Threading

Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology uses resources efficiently, enabling multiple threads to run on each core and increasing processor throughput.

Thermal Design Point (TDP)

The thermal design power (TDP), sometimes called thermal design point, refers to the maximum amount of power the cooling system in a computer is required to dissipate.

Virtualization Technology

In computing, x86 virtualization refers to hardware virtualization for the x86 architecture. It allows multiple operating systems to simultaneously share x86 processor resources in a safe and efficient manner.

You are pretty much safe with the i7, Just look to get the latest version (Generation) of the i7.

I should also mention that no Laptop is really good for working with Video or any CPU intensive applications.

The Cooling Systems in laptops are a compromise based on design factors such as the need for low weight, Small space usage, Low power usage by the fan.

Also a Laptop CPU will be less powerful than its desktop equivalent, This is done to reduce power usage and cooling requirements.

The Power usage is kept low to enhance battery life.

However when You need a laptop, You need a laptop. Things to look at, User reviews of the laptop. Weight, and Size.

Laptops are less upgradable too.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 SpyCatcher*

SpyCatcher*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:22 PM

I should also mention that no Laptop is really good for working with Video or any CPU intensive applications.

The Cooling Systems in laptops are a compromise based on design factors such as the need for low weight, Small space usage, Low power usage by the fan.

Also a Laptop CPU will be less powerful than its desktop equivalent, This is done to reduce power usage and cooling requirements.

The Power usage is kept low to enhance battery life.

Laptops are less upgradable too.

Many thanks for this advice. It makes me rethink my choice between a laptop and a desktop but its too soon to make up my mind.

On the other hand All-In-Desk-top looks like a laptop screen with a computer behind it. I’m thinking probably the disadvantages of a laptop could more or less apply to it. Plus wireless internet connection is slower than a desktop with cable internet connection.

Lots of considerations.

You are pretty much safe with the i7, Just look to get the latest version (Generation) of the i7.

Ok, this will be a good start and will be posting back when I know more of what I want and what is a better choice.

Many thanks :thumbup2:

i found my self awake

floating in a void

i was so happy

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:50 PM

Ok, Yes a All in One is more or less like a laptop as far as expandability.

However Wireless does not have to be Slow. My Internet benchmarks at 117Mb/s down and 37Mb/s Up. Which is the Speed of my Internet connection. I am however running 802.11ac hardware on the 5Ghz band. This is capable of higher speeds computer to computer of course.

IEEE 802.11ac

IEEE 802.11ac is a wireless computer networking standard in the 802.11 family (which is marketed under the brand name Wi-Fi), developed in the IEEE Standards Association process,[1] providing high-throughput wireless local area networks (WLANs) on the 5 GHz band.[1] The standard was developed from 2011 through 2013, with final 802.11 Working Group approval and publication scheduled for early 2014.[1] According to a study, devices with the 802.11ac specification are expected to be common by 2015 with an estimated one billion spread around the world.[2]

This specification has expected multi-station WLAN throughput of at least 1 gigabit per second and a single link throughput of at least 500 megabits per second (500 Mbit/s).

Wireless does not have to be slow. And the All-In-Ones also have a Ethernet connection. It just was too much work to run another cable along with having to buy a better router anyway I switched.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 SpyCatcher*

SpyCatcher*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:49 PM

hi

I've spy stuff which is blokking my network. After some troubleshooting I've just managed to reconnect. Will post back when the coast is clear. Because of your great advices I managed too to come closer my goal and I've something written. I'll post soon.

Thomas

i found my self awake

floating in a void

i was so happy

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

Hi, I run three systems.

A laptop for portable.

A all-in-one to save space and mainly for internet and YouTube type video. Also the All-In-One uses much less electric than the I7 Desktop.

An I7 Desktop for working with Video. It does handle Video OK. 500Gb SSD boot drive, two 1 or 2 Tb internal drives and USB3 for externals.

All in different rooms of course.

I've found that Three computers works best for me. Also a second laptop just for online banking and bill paying.

Since Your old laptop is still working, Have You considered creating a Live Linux Boot CD/DVD and using it that way online. Since You would be online with no way for infections to save themselves You would be fairly safe online that way as long as You reboot before doing anything financial.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 21 November 2013 - 10:16 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

2TB is the largest 2.5" (laptop drive) that I found on New Egg.

You're also going to have issues trying to run Win7 and Win8 on a 120GB SSD drive.  Get the biggest you can afford.  I'd recommend at least 240GB if you're planning on running both OSes.  I'm running on a 120GB and frequently am finding I need to make space for software upgrades.  As far as brand I recommend Intel.

I think that your requirement of a 17" screen is going to put you over budget.  The machines in that range are more around $2,000 USD.  Personally I recommend the HP EliteBook line.

If you were willing to go to a desktop you could get the power you want for the price you want, additionally you could go with a 4TB drive if you wanted.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

RKilroy, I have used mainly Intel (5) and some Samsung (2). Some in my stuff and some in Builds for others. When I started the Intels were the best for reliable followed by Samsung.

For me reliable triumphs over Speed. I'm sure by now that there are other good brands. However I'm conservative and stick with what I know works.

I have used a 120Gb SSD in a laptop and for that machine it is fine. I did Go bigger for the next laptop however to have more headroom.

With a SSD the amount of free space contributes to longevity.

The more free space the more room the Wear leveling algorithm has to use and thus it can spread writes out over more space reducing the amount of writes to any one memory chip. This is my Understanding.

I like that the 120Gb Intel for example has 8Gb used only as spare space and for use by the wear leveling. This  should contribute to longer life.

Cheers

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 SpyCatcher*

SpyCatcher*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

Hi Roger and RKilroy,

Thank you for all your valuable information & special congratulation for RKilroy for his new accomplished BC position :thumbup2:

I’ve spent lots of time on this issue like online researching, computer shops and lots of consideration, even a concrete Tec plan to build a desktop based on i7-477OK and Intl DZ87KLT-75K when all of a sudden a new laptop (http://www.paradigit.nl/acer-aspire-v3-772g-747a8g75mamm/80013031/details.aspx,http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

) appeared on the market and I sort of fell in love from the first sight  :)  and I’ve been reading lots of great reviews about it. The only disadvantage is that it has no SSD and OS is Windows 8 Home Edition but this can be always changed. Also there is no indication if its BIOS a UEFI for a Secure Boot.

I’ve reserved it in one of the shops near me and probably will be buying it this Thursday.

2014 Best Wishes

i found my self awake

floating in a void

i was so happy

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

Hi, Are You planning to use it as a desktop replacement?

If so one thing to remember is that the laptop CPUs are less powerful than the desktop CPUs. This is for two reasons, One is reduce the amount of heat produced and to allow longer battery life.

Laptops have much less expandability compared to a desktop.

Laptop cooling systems are a compromise between weight and cooling and battery life. Thus they can run hot under load.

Laptop cooling systems tend to have the heatsink fins clog easier as they are smaller to start with as well as being generally harder to clean.

Make sure You like the keyboard as that keyboard is it for the built-in keyboard, If you need to change it due to problems the replacement will be the same.

Having said that, Laptops have their place in the scheme of things.

I use a Mix, a i7 desktop for working with video, a laptop for when I need portable and a All-In-One for everyday use.

The AIO and laptops share many of the same limitations. I like the AIO for space saving and low power usage compared to the desktop. .

At present time a 1Tb SSD is it and it isn't cheap.

Nothing wrong with Windows 8 Home. That is what I use. I think of it as a improved Windows 7. All I had to do was add "Classic Shell" and select start to the desktop. And I have a start button, Windows 8 features and improvements.

You said Also there is no indication if its BIOS a UEFI for a Secure Boot.

Trust me it is there. It is tied into the Windows 8 for name brands.

See next Message:

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 02 February 2014 - 03:07 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:03 PM

Notice the settings for Classic Shell.

classic-shell-start-menu.jpg

And the Desktop looks like this, I captured the screen after clicking the start button.

win8-desktop-full-size.jpg

167 @ June 2015

#14 SpyCatcher*

SpyCatcher*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

Hi Roger,

I ended up not buying it after reading some critical reviews about the display and heat issues. In the mean time Im considering buying Asus N750JV-T4055H, and yes as a desktop replacement. Im somewhat avoiding a high-end desktop because of its eventual noise. So far Ive read good reviews about it. However its CPU doesnt have Trusted Execution Technology (TXT), which I find also very important.

Thanks for your assurance concerning UEFI BIOS

In post #8 you mentioned a Live Linux Boot CD/DVD for secure banking and I really do appreciate your initiative. Could you please give a good link that explain how it works!?

Thanks already

i found my self awake

floating in a void

i was so happy

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:12 PM

Hi

1. I would expect a High End Brand Name desktop to run quieter than a Desktop replacement laptop for longer. The Laptops are much more sensitive to dust buildup in the CPU/GPU heatsink due to their limited size. Then it is generally harder to get to the heatsink for a proper cleaning when it needs it in a laptop.

2. The idea behind a Linux Boot CD for banking is at its heart simple. You Boot off of CD-R or DVD-R disk that You created and even if you do hit a malicious website that tries to infect the computer and succeeds it can not save any parts of itself to cause a continuing infection. When You power down it is gone from memory and since You used a Write Once CD it can not infect the Linux OS on the disk.  This does mean No favorites or stored passwords too, so You have to enter them each time. Next although there are viruses that infect Linux, They are much less common than for Windows.

Having said that I use a cheap $329 when new laptop, that I bought when Windows 7 was just released for online banking and bill paying. I keep a current Antivirus on it too, just in case. All I use it for is Online banking, Bill paying, Shopping at Amazon, Newegg and a couple of other brand name's websites. No Email, No Browsing the Internet. I turn it on approximately twice a month, Do my stuff, Any windows updates and put it away until the next time.

I'm not rich but I am cautious. I'd rather be safe than cheap and sorry.

Note: By Brand name I mean brands like Dell, HP/Compaq, Lenovo, Toshiba. Brands that have a fair market share.

What brands do I have? A i7 system with a ASUS motherboard I built myself. A Lenovo All-In-One desktop, Toshiba and Acer laptops.

The Lenovo AIO is for everyday usage such as this forum, Due to its small size where everything is built into the screen and it's low power usage. It uses a laptop style power supply that maxes out at 120 watts output.

Good Luck with whatever Your choice is.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users