Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My internet wifi has suddenly dropped! HELP!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Browning

Browning

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:07 PM

My wifi signal has suddenly dropped in the past week. It is definately a fault with my computer because my other computer works fine. It will often fluctuate from 1 bar of signal to 4 and back again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:49 PM

First of all, welcome to BC !

Secondly, when posting it helps considerably if you give some details about the computer - make, model etc. !

However, if it is a desktop, the signal can be dramatically affected by the position of the aerial, or by any extraneous material coming between the aerial and the router. As an example, I use a wi-fi dongle on my desktop which sits at the front top corner of the side panel. If it slips down by as little as half an inch, I lose 25% of the signal.

If it is a laptop, again similar considerations apply. The position / angle of the laptop relative to the router, and any furniture which may have been moved around the house.

Have you noticed any particular occasions when the signal drops, or any correlation with what you are doing or where you are doing it ?

Chris Cosgrove

#3 cn de javis

cn de javis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:56 PM

this may cause because of the disabling of your WI-FI card.so better to replace one. :welcome:

#4 Browning

Browning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:23 PM

Sorry for the late reply, i am in the UK. It is a sony vaio laptop. The internet has only recently gone down and i am sitting in the same position right next to the router as usual. About the wifi card, i dont know if it is that because i can still get some signal but not full (1-3 bars) it may be faulty though to be honest.

#5 Browning

Browning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:25 PM

Sorry for the late reply, i am in the UK. It is a sony vaio laptop. The internet has only recently gone down and i am sitting in the same position right next to the router as usual. About the wifi card, i dont know if it is that because i can still get some signal but not full (1-3 bars) it may be faulty though to be honest.

#6 Browning

Browning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

woops sorry. I checked my wifi card status and it said "This device is working properly" could it be a virus. I do quite a bit of gaming and so some of the downloads (Mods, games etc) may have given me a virus?

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:30 PM

It appears that you are not alone in having this problem, and it seems to stem from the wireless card installed. Have a look at this article, which also suggests a cure :

http://www.techspot.com/news/53879-widespread-reports-of-sony-vaio-notebook-wi-fi-issues.html

In my experience, Sony Vaios are generally reliable if expensive laptops, and will take a fair amount of mistreatment - you should see the one that belongs to a friend of mine !  But perhaps you now see why it helps to mention the make and model !

Chris Cosgrove

PS You are not alone in living in the UK !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users