Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switching two XP system hard drives

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:02 PM

Is it possible to take a hard drive out of one XP machine and put it in another?  I must assume the bios would have to recognize the new HD or am I over simplifying the situation? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:16 PM

Sure...a hard drive is a hard drive, nothing but a storage container.  Storage containers are compatible with any system.

If your question is whether or not one can remove a hard drive reflecting a Windows install...move it to another system...and expect it to work properly...the answer is no, with the possible exception that the motherboard for the two systems are identical.

The settings and drivers for each motherboard/Windows install...are varied.  That's why PA works...if recorded settings of components do not match the records maintained by PA...the system will not automatically activate, since there will be no match of documented components and Windows license.

Louis

#3 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:45 PM

Answered my question, thanks Louis.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:16 PM

:thumbup2: , happy computing :).

Louis

#5 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:33 PM

Thanks Louis.  I have a new system coming tomorrow in pieces and am trying to set my wife up with a newer (to her, my old machine) machine.  

I have read about folks with dual OSs, how is that achieved and can it be done using two different HDs. 

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

Dual-booting can easily be done, with either one or more hard drives.

Key factor to remember...each O/S install calls for a partition of it's own.  I've linked to a Decent Read on things that I would explain poorly.

And...the older O/S should be installed first, with the most current O/S being installed last.  The reason for this is the fact that the Vista/Win 7 bootloader basically takes over from the XP boot files...and the boot files for both O/Ses will reside on the Win 7 install (unless a user changes it, which can be done).

And :)....don't create partitions on the hard drive before beginning the install.   Not sure how this misconception startedf, but some persons think that they have to create partitions independently...before using the Windows install disks.  The Windows install disks contain all the tools necessary for formatting, creating a partition, and installing Windows on the partition it created.

I dual-boot and I've done it with two hard drives and I've done it with one hard drive.  This system has both O/Ses on the same SSD while my other desktop has each O/S on a different hard drive.  No difference other than user preference/whim.

Another thing not to become worried over.  Each install in a dual-boot...will become the C: partition when booted into.  This means that the drive letters assigned...will change for each depending on which one you boot into.  As long as you remember that the one booted into will always be C: (unless something is wrong), it's nothing to pay attention to.

Louis

#7 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:43 PM

Thanks again Louis and thanks for the link.  After quickly skimming the link it appears that I couldn't just pull one (HDD) with XP already installed on it but would have to re-install which is fine.  I'll give it a good read.  I will have to explore the use of XP within the Win 7 Pro environment also.   I just noticed your location and we aren't far apart.  I'm in Brazos Co. 

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:44 PM

If XP is already installed....then all you have to do is install Win 7 on either the same hard drive or a second drive, with the XP drive still connected.

The Win 7 install will see the XP install and automatically modify the boot files...so that when the system boots, you have a choice of XP or Win 7.

Louis

#9 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

That is good news Louis, thanks for all your insight on the subject.  The machine my wife will inherit from me has XP with 700+ GB of free space on the HDD so I'll put it on the same drive.  

Edit:  Louis is it possible to deactivate a copy of XP so it can be re-used?

Edited by Bill_in_Texas, 19 November 2013 - 07:59 AM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:40 AM

That..I cannot answer.

OEM/System Builder versions of Windows...cannot be moved under any circumstance.

Retail versions can be moved from a system that is retired to another system, but I've no experience with retail versions since the days of Windows 9x.

Microsoft would be the point of contact for all questions re activation, licensing, and such.

I do know that MS maintains a list of licenses where same license appears on multiple systems (other than licenses which have that privilege by nature).  Examples would be volume licenses and licenses sold for the Win 7 Family Pack offer.  This system uses a family pack license for the Win 7 install, I bought it when it was cheap.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 November 2013 - 09:41 AM.

#11 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:45 AM

Thanks again Louis.  It appears the only outright purchase I have was an upgrade from Win 98 to XP on my wife's computer so I'm sure that wouldn't work.  We have had our computers built by local companies for quite a number of years now and I'm sure the XP installations on those machines are OEM copies.  I would like to put XP on the new machine but with 4 copies around here can't see buying one if that is even possible.  From the article link you posted earlier, XP has to go on first.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

It doesn't HAVE to...if just's cleaner, easier, and guaranteed to work properly...as opposed to trying to install XP after Vista or Win 7 has been installed, which may entail a lot of work before succumbing to the tried/true path of XP first.

Louis

#13 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

I hate trouble shooting so I will probably not worrying about it on the new machine.  :thumbsup2:

#14 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

Would this be worth buying to have on the new machine?

http://www.designertechsoftware.com/products/microsoft-windows-xp-pro-sp3-oem-download

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

I don't believe in buying Windows...from vendors at unknown websites...offering downloads, rather than a Windows disk.

Louis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users