Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copying boot partition with Robocopy, making it bootable.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 captainsiberia

captainsiberia

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:10 PM

Well, after several failed attempts to clone my boot partition the right way, I broke down and used RoboCopy. Now, I know that you're not supposed to do this. I know it's bad joojoo. But I've done it now. It is done. Now I want to work with the partition I have and make it bootable. I have a sense that I will need to recreate the junctures that were on the original disk. And maybe something with securities as well? There were some "Error 5"s. Other than that, what do I need to do? The files themselves are copied. Now it's a matter of the hidden stuff, I think. Surely you guys know the secret glue that holds an OS together.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

Do you have a dual or multi-boot system (e.g. Windows XP and Windows 7 installed on same PC) ? or do you have only one version of Windows installed ?

#3 captainsiberia

captainsiberia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:08 PM

Only one version of Windows 7, although I have multiple installations. I'm on a lite version of Windows 7 right now. The partition I've copied has the full version. It's all Windows 7, though. Only one OS per partition.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

Robocopy does not support Volume Shadow Copy, which means any files-in-use will not be copied. So if you are trying to robocopy the boot partition while still using Windows, then some system files will be skipped.

However, if you have robocopied files from different installation, then they might all get copied.

This is very unusual way, but you can try booting with Windows 7 DVD or Windows 7 Recovery Disk and proceed with Startup Repair.

#5 captainsiberia

captainsiberia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:38 PM

Robocopy does not support Volume Shadow Copy, which means any files-in-use will not be copied. So if you are trying to robocopy the boot partition while still using Windows, then some system files will be skipped.

However, if you have robocopied files from different installation, then they might all get copied.

This is very unusual way, but you can try booting with Windows 7 DVD or Windows 7 Recovery Disk and proceed with Startup Repair.

I didn't do the copy from within the installation I was trying to fix, naturally. So, if I do this, and run the Startup Repair routine, will it restore junctions in all the important places and make the OS usable?  All the files got copied, it seems. I'm keeping a log of any errors. Can I expect any hitches, immediately or down the line? Or might this all go smoothly?

Edited by captainsiberia, 15 November 2013 - 11:39 PM.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:23 AM

There may be the problem of setting the partition active before you use system repair, which you may do from Computer Management . Right-click on Computer in Windows Explorer and choose Manage). Select Storage->Disk Management. Right-click on partition and choose Mark Partition as Active.

That's all I can think of right now, but there may be other issues.

#7 captainsiberia

captainsiberia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:30 PM

Well, I ran chkdsk /v /r on the old drive, and it became stable enough to read without problems. So then I copied the boot partition with Partition Wizard. After all that hassle with Acronis, it was a free program I already had that did the job. I'm using the copied partition now instead of the copy job Robocopy did. Everything seems to be working fine, so let's call it solved.

Edited by captainsiberia, 16 November 2013 - 03:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users