Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wipe Laptop & Restart

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 teatrap

teatrap

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:30 AM

OK, I've been given a laptop with Windows 7 on it and I want to completely wipe it and start from scratch with it. I'm not sure what I need to have in place in order to do this though. 

At the moment all I have is - 

Computer details from Belarc Security Advisor, contains Window's Product Key etc. 

I don't have any disks (there aren't any disk's anywhere either)

I'm a bit uncertain about the steps...

Thanks. 

Operating system_Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (9600)
CPU_Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
Motherboard_Hewlett-Packard (1966)
RAM_12063mb
Hard Drive_931gb (HGST HTS541010A9E680)
Graphics card_Intel® HD Graphics 4600
Sound card_IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:09 AM

Does it have the factory installed recovery partition with Windows 7?

Give the brand name and model or do a search for the particular laptop to find out how to do a clean install using the recovery partition.

That would be the easiest and quick way to reformat and reinstall.

You avoid the hassle of having to download Windows 7 and finding the necessary drivers.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:10 AM

You are going to need Windows 7 DVD for reinstalling Windows.

#4 teatrap

teatrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:22 AM

It's Window 7 Home Premium (x64)

Inside C: there's a folder called 'Recovery' that's empty, I'm not sure whether this is the factory installed partition or not? 

The laptop model is Acer Aspire 5742 - do different laptops have different re-installation methods?

I haven't got a Windows 7 DVD - So I guess that I have to make / Download one? 

RAM_12063mb

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,404 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:24 AM

Since it's a laptop...it should have the "restore to factory defaults" option built in.  A review of the documentation for the system should indicate if such exists and how to use it to return to "as sold" conditions.

Louis

#6 teatrap

teatrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:25 AM

Since it's a laptop...it should have the "restore to factory defaults" option built in.  A review of the documentation for the system should indicate if such exists and how to use it to return to "as sold" conditions.

Louis

I don't want to wipe it and not know / have things in place to restore it though. 

RAM_12063mb

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,408 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:00 AM

ACER PC Restore to factory settings

Acer eRecovery Management provides a quick, reliable and secure way of restoring your computer to its factory default settings or a custom system image from an image stored in a hidden partition on the hard disk on a secondary partition or on optical disks. Acer eRecovery Management also provides a convenient utility to save system settings, applications and data on the hard disk or optical disc.

You could take the extra step of creating an image on another drive what is on the computer now before attempting to reinstall to factory settings.

Read the info in the link above and if the hidden recovery partition is intact, using it to reinstall to factory condition will be the easiest and quickest way to go.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 teatrap

teatrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:38 AM

Cheers Buddy - I've created (well it's running at the moment...) an Disk Image using DriveImageXML.

Does this function :

FijKvYy.jpg

Create the discs that Romeo was referring to?  

The Recovery drive on the computer (C:\Recovery) is empty, so I'm not sure if there should be something in there? 

Cheers

RAM_12063mb

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,408 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:06 AM

The 'hidden partition' should not be on C. Follow the directions below to view what partitions are on the hdd.

The recovery partition..hidden...should be something less than 15GB I would think.

1. Right-click on Computer from Start Menu.
  2. Left-click on Manage to bring up the Windows Computer Management interface.
  3. In the left window, under Storage, click on Disk Management.

On the right side of the screen, two seperate windows will open. In the bottom window, a graphical representation of the partitions on the installed drives will be displayed. The top window is for viewing a drive's status, capacity, and file system.

What you have done is created an image of the existing hdd's content. I suggested doing that, too so if there is a problem with

reinstalling the factory image you can use the image you created to restore to what you have now.

Edited by buddy215, 15 November 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#10 teatrap

teatrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

Back on the computer - I'm burning off 'Factory Default Disc's' at the moment.... quite slow 

RAM_12063mb

#11 teatrap

teatrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:32 PM

I'm sure this is really simple but there seem's to be so many different methods floating about I just wanted to make sure I've got everything in place to perform one of them. 

I have created a 'factory default disc' using the Acers eRecovery Management. Although the sentence 'It is important to create the factory disc before you using your PC' alarms me a bit, the laptop has obviously had a fair bit of use, so are these redundant? 

aEMpcci.jpg

I have created a disc image using DriveImage XML... of how it is at the moment, just because... 

I can use the Acers eRecovery Manager to Restore System to Factory Defaults. 

gX2KYTy.jpg

I have the Windows software key from Belarc Security Advisor. 

Is this everything I need, anything I'm missing? Just want to make sure I don't do something daft. cheers

RAM_12063mb

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,408 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:06 AM

I'm assuming that you have the DriveImage XML image you created stored on an external drive. To access that image when needed you

would need to be able to boot the computer from a CD.

You may have created a boot disk using the Acers eRecovery....don't know if the disks you made are bootable.

Or you may have created a bootable disk following the DriveImage XML directions....don't know.

To be sure that you can boot the computer, if the factory install goes bad, and be able to access and use the DriveImage image you created,

follow the directions in link below to create a System Repair Disc.

Create a system repair disc

System recovery options can help you repair Windows if a serious error occurs. To use system recovery options, you'll need a Windows installation disc or access to the recovery options provided by your computer manufacturer. If you don't have either of those choices, you can create a system repair disc to access system recovery options.

To create a system repair disc
  1. Open Backup and Restore by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Backup and Restore.

2. In the left pane, click Create a system repair disc, and then follow the steps. 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

To use the system repair disc
  1. Insert the system repair disc into your CD or DVD drive.

2. Restart your computer using the computer's power button.

3. If prompted, press any key to start the computer from the system repair disc.

• If your computer isn't configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with your computer. You might need to change your computer's BIOS settings.

4. Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

5. Select a recovery option, and then click Next.

Tip: Print these instructions and keep them in a safe location with your system repair disc.

#13 teatrap

teatrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:11 AM

I'm assuming that you have the DriveImage XML image you created stored on an external drive

Yeh it's on an external. 

boot disk using the Acers eRecovery....don't know if the disks you made are bootable

I'm not too sure either, I just used their eRecovery thing. I have created a repair disc as well now though, thanks!

created a bootable disk following the DriveImage XML directions....don't know

Didn't create a disk using DriveImage, it was just the image file onto an external HD.

I'm trying it now... see how it goes :)

RAM_12063mb

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,408 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:39 AM

After getting Win 7 installed, head directly to Windows Updates and allow Windows to scan for and install updates. Check out 

what updates are offered as you may not want some of them such as the Bing Toolbar, etc.

Another tip....you will likely be installing some other software and today's free software comes with adware....lots of adware. You can

avoid dealing with that if the software you want is listed here: Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once

You can get the software from there without installing the automatic updater....your choice.

#15 teatrap

teatrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:51 AM

It didn't even ask me for the Window's Serial Key? It just booted up back to factory settings mode. I thought I'd have to reactivate / use discs / BIOS and all sorts... Hmm. Good that it was easier than expected but I don't feel like i've really been tested! 

That Ninite looks great, cheers  :thumbup2:

RAM_12063mb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users