Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

disk controller error.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:18 AM

Hi,

Anyone know of an application that can analyze disk controller errors? I have this machine that is generating a mob of istor errors and the odd disk controller error. Pretty sure the controller error is responsible for the istor errors... but system events are very unenlightening.

I've tried SMART analysis applications but no cigar, either fail to run correctly or come up empty handed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:52 AM

Well, there's always Steve Gibson's wonderful "Spinrite" [/sarc]. What do you mean "disk controller" Most such controllers, now days, are built into the South Bridge (ICH10 or equiv) on the motherboard. If you have a separate controller, that thing's ancient! Run Spinrite in level 2 for a first pass.

Back in the MS_DOS 3-6 era with RLL, MFM, and ESDI drives, that required separate controllers, both WD and Seagate had utilities to check the disks and the controllers. I don't know what you would use for modern IDE or SATA systems.

Seriously, if that thing is chucking errors at that rate, you're looking at a sick drive that's gonna drop dead any minute. Replace it. "Controller Errors" are generated by the drive, not the motherboard SATA or IDE controller. The "controller" function is in firmware and the ports are just interfaces to the internal PCI bus. Data comes off those drives as byte blocks, not 1s and 0s as in ancient times. The result of Compaq, CDC, and Western Digital inventing IDE was moving that controller functionality off to the drive itself. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA

Oh, and loose or damaged cables could also do what you're seeing.

Edited by davnel, 15 November 2013 - 02:07 AM.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:10 AM

It's not a mac, I mean the disk controller on the HDD. (not host adapter)

I just want some way to confirm it, or disprove it so I can go looking for software errors. Is under warranty but not prepared to upset people pulling the machine out when it's a fixable problem, without some sort of evidence.

#4 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

Both WD and Seagate have drive test software that can be run from your machine or from a bootable CD, available for download from Support.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:17 PM

Thanks for your help davnel, they do much the same as the diagnostic utilities I use.

I'm going to test known good parts to resolve this, as much as I hate getting my hands dirty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users