Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FBI Virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eaglewings35

eaglewings35

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

My sister has a laptop that runs Windows 7.
She has gotten that FBI Virus that locked her out of her computer.  My daughter also got this on her computer.
On my daughters computer I was able to reboot in safe mode, then use the system restore.  This worked on my daughters laptop, but my sister has a different problem that prevents her from doing this.
My sisters computer has a login screen, before you get to the desktop.
If you take the time to put in the password, by the time the desktop comes up, the virus (FBI warning) pops up.
Once this pops up, there is nothing I can do to get by it.
I have tried to reboot in safe mode, but after the login screen, the virus message immediately pops up.

How can I get past this??
Is there a way that I can disable the login screen without having to sign in first?

I would just run her OS disk, but as with all of the computers now, she didn't get one when she bought her computer.

I would appreciate any and all help.  I have tried everything I know to do.

Thank you

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 November 2013 - 08:53 PM.
moved from Windows 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

1) You can wait for someone to help resolve the issue without reinstalling the operating system

OR

2) Since there are no disks the computer should have a recovery partition which will allow you to reinstall Windows. Search for directions on how to access the partition on her model computer.
If this is the way you want to go and cannot find the directions please post the manufacturer/model number of the system.

#3 eaglewings35

eaglewings35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:06 PM

Well, I could try a lot of things, but I cant get to the desktop screen to do anything.

I need either a disk I can put in, then do a start up, OR I need to know how to disable a login screen.

I will get her computer information though.

Thanks Queen, I appreciate it.

#4 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:57 AM

Try this:
1. during POST (Power On Self Test - where memory counts up), the first screen you see when booting up, hit the "DEL" key several times. Some BIOSs have a different key to take them into Setup, for example, F2. If you have the operators manual it's in there. If not, post the make and model number for the machine (label on bottom) and we'll get it for you.

This will take you into the BIOS setup routine. There you might find a selection that says, in effect, "Restore Computer To Factory Defaults". This will reinstall the OS and reset everything. All applications other than Windows itself and what ever came with the machine, will have to be reloaded. This is a total reinstall. If given the option, reformat the Windows and System Reserved partitions.

2. Alternatively, start hitting F8 repeatedly as soon as the POST screen opens. This will open the Boot Options screen. Select Safe Mode. At the login screen, instead of putting in her login/password, try typing "administrator" and no password (just hit enter). this might start the administrator user which may not have the infected files. If this fails, you'll need to do item 1 or it's equivalent for that particular machine. If it succeeds, do a system restore through Windows.

3. Good info here: http://fbivirus.net/

Edited by davnel, 15 November 2013 - 02:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users