Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flickering and locking up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyOldDell

DirtyOldDell

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

I've got an older Dell I'm trying to get back into working order. I mainly use it to run a few older games and that's really it. I'm more of a console gamer. 

The fan on my video card went out and it was idling at around 90 degrees Celsius. If I opened a program or tried to run anything my screen would start flickering with all kinds of random colors and then either stay that way or freeze up. Since I didn't want to do any long-term damage I bought an aftermarket heatsink to replace the dead fan. It works great and the idle temperature is now 40 degrees Celsius. However, the problem persists. The computer boots up fine and I can start Windows. If it just sits on the desktop it acts fine but if I try to open anything within a few seconds or minutes the screen will start flickering. I tried uninstalling the card and removing its drivers to see if reinstalling everything would help. It didn't. Usually it just locks up but earlier after flickering it threw a BSOD with a "NMI: Parity Check/ Memory Parity Error" message.

I'm not sure if the card is toast or if I have some kind of driver issue going on. Is there anything I should try?

Specs:

Dell E510

XFX HD 5670 1GB

3.0 GB RAM

3.0Ghz Pentium D processor

Windows XP

Edited by DirtyOldDell, 14 November 2013 - 07:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DirtyOldDell

DirtyOldDell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

Sorry to double post but I've solved the problem. I removed sticks of RAM until the problem stopped. The culprit appears to have been a faulty 512mb ram stick.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:56 PM

Congrats on resolving, thanks for letting us know...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users