Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Decent free antiviruses for windows 8

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dragonlady24

Dragonlady24

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

Just a general question. what antivirus can i download in windows 8 that will not crash my system. i have heard of 2 that have crashed windows 8 systems so far, mse and avast.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 8 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:11 PM

Hi -

Just a quick FYI - MSE is already Pre-installed on every Windows 8 system.

It is an Upgraded version, and it is called "Defender" (this is not an extra / add-on)

Avast! is often installed on Windows 8, and it will "Auto disable" Defender if you install it.

Thank You -

#3 Dragonlady24

Dragonlady24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:58 PM

thanks for your reply but i was looking a for a bit more protection than what defender offers

#4 roll

roll

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:12 PM

Avast! has a decent antivirus for win 8. errrr... you should experience those yourself instead of hearing from others. 

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:49 AM

Hi -

If you are looking beyond the basics, then Kaspersky or ESETNOD32 or even Norton work quite well on Windows 8

Sorry but it was my error thinking that you only wanted a basic Antivirus program.

You can check via Google etc, and you will find that most of the programs that worked on Windows 7 also suit Windows 8.

Avast!, Avira, and most of the other programs will work on your system. I have not heard of avast! causing any problems.

Please give us an idea of any type of program you want, and we will fully check it over.

Free / Paid / Trial or otherwise, we can and will find the current version to suit you -

Thank You -

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:36 AM

Windows 8 integrates Windows Defender on Windows 8, a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Although it uses the same name, it is not the same as Defender in previous operating systems. Windows 8 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and uses the same virus definition updates. You may want to consider removing your current anti-virus and activating it.

Microsoft is adding a bunch of significant new security features in Windows 8, including Early Launch Anti Malware (ELAM), Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI), and the first edition of Windows Defender to protect not just against malware but also against viruses...Until Windows 8, Windows Defender protected against spyware only. Now, it also takes on viruses and other breeds of malware..
Windows 8 Security
Windows Defender on Windows 8 - Introduction and FAQs
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Dragonlady24

Dragonlady24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:10 PM

Ok! Thank you again for that info. I have already done my research on this for windows 8 and based off info from pc magazine, the built in windows defender ranks at %75 compared to other protection software rating at %99.2. I am currently using McAfee that came with my system. I will try windows defender when that expires. I have used that in the past and found it was an ok av for windows but would still prefer something more. 

#8 calden

calden

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

Had this same problem.....A simple solution.....download the latest release from the AVAST SITE......DO NOT INSTALL FROM THE MICROSOFT STORE......Once installed make sure Windows Defender is turned OFF and that AVAST IS WORKING.

Do remember to turn OFF Mcafee before installing AVAST.

#9 Dragonlady24

Dragonlady24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

thanks. ill try that and defender is already disabled. ill keep mcafee for now and download avast later. 

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

...I have already done my research on this for windows 8 and based off info from pc magazine, the built in windows defender ranks at %75 compared to other protection software rating at %99.2..

PC Mag or any similar site is not a place to go for comparative testing results. There are several labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, etc.

Keep in mind, even these kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results.

#11 Dragonlady24

Dragonlady24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

please close this. i no longer need this up.

#12 Brandon Young

Brandon Young

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

Also If you would Like to install an optional program. Spybot Search and Destroy, Immunixe system once downloaded and It will notify you if you are downloading something bad or not or for just the malware or virus removals.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

please close this. i no longer need this up.

We do not close topics in this forum unless a member has been asked to post a log in the Malware Removal Logs forum.

Also If you would Like to install an optional program. Spybot Search and Destroy, Immunixe system once downloaded and It will notify you if you are downloading something bad or not or for just the malware or virus removals.

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D (or Ad-Aware) due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products). Further, most people don't understand how to use Spybot's TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

#14 Brandon Young

Brandon Young

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:02 PM

Oh I didn't know. Sorry I use it for my personal use so I thought he would benefit by downloading an optional one. Sorry If I recommended something that wasn't good.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:07 PM

Spybot was pretty good years ago... perhaps it will be again but right now there are more effective alternatives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users