Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 64 bit boot loops

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 apefist

apefist

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

So I have a computer I am trying to fix for a friend that it currently boot looping.  It is a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.  According to my friend it did automatic updates and then wouldn't boot after that (he says he didn't download or change anything but I don't know that I necessarily believe that).  The laptop is a Lenovo G570 if that matters.

Here is what I know so far:

Blue screen says PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA with a stop code of 0x50

Safe Mode does not work (hangs on CLASSPNP.SYS)

Startup Repair does not work (says it can't identify the problem)

System Restore points all fail with error code 0x8000ffff

I have ran chkdsk from the command prompt, that came back fine

Haven't had time to run Memtest yet, so I will update with that

SFC can't scan because it says there is a pending repair operation and I have to reboot before I can run SFC

I checked the Minidump folder but it seems like minidumps aren't being created for the bootloop BSODs

Enabled boot logging and the ntbtlog.txt only has two entries:

Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\Esgscanner.sys

Loaded driver \??\C:\Program Files\Enigma Software Group\SpyHunter\esgiguard.sys

It looks like spyhunter was installed recently, so I'm not sure if that is what is causing the issues?  I figured those drivers wouldn't be loaded for a Safe Mode boot though.  Also, not quite sure how to remove that if I can't boot the computer.

I'm thinking of trying a repair install of Windows, I can't think of much else.  If you guys need any other info please let me know

Thanks!

Edited by apefist, 14 November 2013 - 06:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:27 PM

First thing would be to unplug anything accept a keyboard, one stick of ram, take the NIC out if it has a NIC attacked. go into the bios and disable onboard NIC, Sound etc and make it boot with minimal devuices attched and see if that works. If not i have had machiens do the same and used Hirens Boot CD with  HDAT to do a disk check and you would be amazed that windows chkdsk /f /r C: doesnt find anythign but HDAT finds corrupted clusters. I have brought nmachiens from the dead with Hirens.

#3 apefist

apefist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:30 PM

Well it's a laptop so can't unplug anything, it already has only 1 stick of RAM.  The BIOS options for disabling stuff seems minimal, but I will check tomorrow.  I'm gonna run Memtest86 all night and report back on that tomorrow.  I do have Hiren's and will do a hard drive check as well.  Thanks for the reply!

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

Yeh computers can be like the missus mate, fun when they work but b!tches of things once a month or so when they dont work.

#5 apefist

apefist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

Just finished with HDAT, that came up with 0 for warnings, bad sectors, and repaired sectors.  and The memtest finished fine for something like 17 passes, so I'm fairly certain it's not hardware.  Seems like I might have to just reinstall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users