Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up Remote Desktop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lolcats

lolcats

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

My friend would like to access one of his work computers from home.

He does not have a domain set up at work, just a couple of computers connected to a switch being fed by his Time Warner cable/modem.

How do I configure the cable/modem so he can use Windows Remote Desktop to get the particular computer he wants?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:53 PM

First thing is do not open port 3389. Use something like team viewer, also make sure the windows accounts on the machiens have passwords set (Complicated ones at that).

Some modem/routers allow VPN set ups but another cheap option would be to downlaod IPCOP and use its openVPN, then download the openVPN client and create the SSL certificate on the ipcop box, export that to his machine at home and open the port on the modem router to point to the ipcop box IP (The port number you set with openVPN) and bingo you have a free VPN wich can be failry secure and data is encrypted.

#3 lolcats

lolcats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:41 AM

Thanks, Johnny, I'll present him with that option. I prefer Team Viewer myself. I've installed it on several of his computers, but he told me that the screen resolution does not work for him remotely (even after showing him how to adjust resolution) I'll post back with the results later.

#4 duckfat

duckfat

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

Is VNC an option for him? Something like UltraVNC may do the trick. Installing the mirror driver for UltraVNC would probably also resolve the screen resolution issue that you've described.

Edited by duckfat, 16 November 2013 - 02:52 PM.

#5 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

Is VNC an option for him? Something like UltraVNC may do the trick. Installing the mirror driver for UltraVNC would probably also resolve the screen resolution issue that you've described.

Doesn't that require the opening of ports? I believe that is why JohnnyJammer recommended TeamViewer.

Unofficial iOS Genius

#6 duckfat

duckfat

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:54 AM

Doesn't that require the opening of ports? I believe that is why JohnnyJammer recommended TeamViewer.

True. In many cases it may. I'm more curious about the changes that are being made to the cable modem and if there is any other hardware in the equation aside from a switch and the modem.

#7 duckfat

duckfat

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

My friend would like to access one of his work computers from home.

He does not have a domain set up at work, just a couple of computers connected to a switch being fed by his Time Warner cable/modem.

How do I configure the cable/modem so he can use Windows Remote Desktop to get the particular computer he wants?

Thanks

Would you be able to provide us with the model of both the modem and the switch in question? This will help immensely. Thank you!

#8 lolcats

lolcats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:51 PM

Well, I was finally able to convince my friend to use Team Viewer. I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions.

He wanted to use Microsoft Remote Desktop, but I believe in order to route RDP traffic I would have to program the router to a specific computer.

Time/Warner does not allow their customers to connect to their cable/modem boxes!

He does not like calling them for support since we spent 6 hours on the phone with them the day after installation.

Their tech came out, installed their box, and left.

Meanwhile, he had no network connectivity in his office...but that's another story.

Thanks again.

CASE CLOSED

#9 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:18 PM

Well, I was finally able to convince my friend to use Team Viewer. I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions.

He wanted to use Microsoft Remote Desktop, but I believe in order to route RDP traffic I would have to program the router to a specific computer.

Time/Warner does not allow their customers to connect to their cable/modem boxes!

He does not like calling them for support since we spent 6 hours on the phone with them the day after installation.

Their tech came out, installed their box, and left.

Meanwhile, he had no network connectivity in his office...but that's another story.

Thanks again.

CASE CLOSED

I believe RDP is generally used within the local network, such as schools or offices. I think if used on LAN, it only needs specific ports, not any router modification.

However, good job helping your friend!

Unofficial iOS Genius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users