Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop will not boot

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ennogs

ennogs

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

I was given an Asus X53S laptop to look at. After doing some testing I saw the hard drive needed replacing. I gave the person the laptop back and said what needs doing. About a week later they gave me the money to buy a hard drive and gave me the laptop back. Before I replaced the old hard drive with the new one I did not check if the laptop was still booting up. As it was booting up the last time I had it I just assumed that side of things was ok. I replaced the hard drive and then went to boot up the laptop. It won't boot. It's dead as a dodo.

Now I know if I go back to the person whose laptop it is and say it now won't switch on I will get the dreaded "Well it was switching on when I gave it to you...................."

I am going to borrow a multimeter tomorrow to check the external power supply is ok. Is there anything on the motherboard I could check with the multimeter in regards to the laptop not powering on?

Can anybody please suggest ideas of things to check. So far I tried taking the battery out and holding the power button for 30 seconds and the putting battery back and trying again. I have also tried leaving the battery out for 15 minutes and then putting it back in.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:33 PM

you mean no lights no nothing? Take the harddrive out and turn it on no lights no nothing?

#3 ennogs

ennogs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:43 PM

Yes.  Nothing at all.  Even with the hard drive out.

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

what computer is it? Is there a light on the power supply if so does it light up when plugged in

is there power at the outlet?

#5 ennogs

ennogs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

it is an Asus X53S laptop.  I do get a green light on the power supply.  The power outlet definately works.

#6 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:59 PM

push gently on all sides of the plug when in the jack and hit the power button for all sides anything?

#7 ennogs

ennogs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:05 PM

push gently on all sides of the plug when in the jack and hit the power button for all sides anything?

Sorry I don't get what you mean by that.

#8 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:07 PM

do you know if the battery is charged? Jiggle the cord in each direction while trying to

turn on the laptop

Edited by Roodo, 14 November 2013 - 07:14 PM.

#9 ennogs

ennogs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

I am not sure if the battery is charged or not.  Even with the battery out and and just connected to the power supplty it will not boot

#10 ennogs

ennogs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

do you know if the battery is charged? Jiggle the cord in each direction while trying to

turn on the laptop

Tried to jiggle the cord.  Sadly the laptop is still not turning on.

Edited by ennogs, 14 November 2013 - 08:06 PM.

#11 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:40 PM

Take the memory out see if it turns on.

#12 ennogs

ennogs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:03 PM

Still the same with the memory out.

#13 Chuck Devlin

Chuck Devlin

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

Couple of things to try.  With Multimeter - pull out battery - check battery terminals  on the laptop - two larger terminals on right are ground - thus place negative black lead here, then put red on the smaller ones.  Do you get a reading of say from 3 - 4 volts - if yes then you know the power jack is ok and the laptop charging circuit is working.  If you cannot get power of 3 - 4 volts or nothing, then you may suspect the power jack is at fault.  This is a test after you verify that you get about 19.5 volts from the power cord where it connects to the laptop.  Next check memory:  If memory is bad then appears there is no power.  If two sticks, pull one, test, then pull the other and test, then reverse.  It would really help if you can use "known" good memory of the right type DDR2 or DDR3.  That is the easiest and quickest first tests.  Next, if still no power "at all", no lights, no nothing, then slowing need to disconect an item and retest to try and see if then works without that item.  Hopefully you don't have to get down to bare motherboard - big effort of dismantling to discover mother board is bad.  If you start dismanttling the computer, make sure you know what you are doing and get get it all back together again.  If never done before - don't try on someone else's computer.

Chuck Devlin

#14 ennogs

ennogs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:30 AM

My brother was getting nothing from the power supply so i will have to try and find somebody who has a similar one to test. There are no terminals to test the battery or noe that my brother can see.

Edited by ennogs, 15 November 2013 - 08:32 AM.

#15 Chuck Devlin

Chuck Devlin

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:47 AM

The termjnals are where the battery connects to. Pull battery out and you can see the metal terminals that the battery connects to. On right side of terminals 2 stick out further than the others, they are the negative terminals. Also you said you replaced the hard drive, what about the operating system?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users