Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Create slim down Windows XP Pro SP3 to install on small tower desktop computer.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mah-jonng

Mah-jonng

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

Hi everyone using this forum,

I want to create a slim down version of Windows XP Pro SP3 to install on a small tower computer.

So, in reference to that I have 3 questions:

1. Are there any programs like Nlite and WinFuture xp-iso-builder that are legal to use and have  
   been authorised by Microsoft? 

but if your answer is "no" then:

2. What programs are legal to use and are authorised by Microsoft?

then again if your answer is "no" then:

3. Has Microsoft 'created', or provided, a program to create a slim down version of Windows XP?

Also, I have two related questions:

1. Would it be legal to create a Windows XP custom setup disc
    for my OWN use ONLY?

2. Can you still obtain an original copy of Windows XP together
    with the licence?

There is a reason why I want to acheive this but I DO NOT want to explain why at this present time!

Also, to anyone, please provide me with full answers and I do thank anyone who does respond.

Lastly, thank you for your patience in this matter and I do look forward to receiving your reply soon in the near future.

From

Mah-jonng

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

You might take a look at widows ce.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,466 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

You might learn to use Google regarding such thoughts/questions about Windows and Microsoft.  We are not authorized to be spokespersons for MS and their products, nor do we desire to be such.  I suspect that Google provides a lot more information...than any forum or website might.

Louis

#4 Mah-jonng

Mah-jonng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

Hi hamluis and Roodo,

Thank you both for replying to my message and I will answer you both individually.

First hamluis:

I  have 2 questions:

1. Is Windows CE another Windows operating system?

2. How will Windows CE help as you did not explain as I did originally ask for a 
    full answer?

Second Roodo:

Thank you for telling me that you are not authorised to be a spokesperson for MS
and their products.

But, I was hoping for someone to provide clarity by answering my questions, even
just generally, as I have already searched the internet for answers.

If you can provide clarity to my questions then I would be very grateful.

I do thank you both for your patience in this matter & look forward to receiving any
replies soon in the near future.

From

Mah-jonng

#5 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:35 PM

Mah-Jonng:

From personal experience, Microsoft doesn't care where the installation programs come from. The can come from an official Microsoft package, or from a Microsoft .iso file, as long as the programs are unchanged. The product key is about the only thing they care about. It must match the version you install.

That said, I don't think they will care what you do to the installation files. What I would suggest, is to install XP straight, then remove programs and options you don't want. I personally don't know how one would choose what to remove. As long as you don't try to sell the result, and only use it yourself, on your own machines, no one will squawk. And no, THIS IS NOT PIRACY!

As for building a minimized version, I seem to remember that the "Ultimate Boot CD For Windows" will build a minimized version of XP from your XP installation disk, with the assistance of  Bart's PE, here:    http://www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm.  When built, and burned to a CD, the program starts the minimized Windows, and presents you with a bunch of tools to assist troubleshooting systems, kinda like the Linux rescue disks only XP based. You might try to build one without the tools. Should be doable. There's lots of instructions on how to modify the build.

The forgoing is my personal opinion and not that of this website.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:31 AM

Microsoft applications are closed source, you cannot pick and choose or add to installation excepting what is in the installer... legally, without a license.

Yes you can still buy XP on EBay.

You can do what ever the hell you want with XP as long as you don't get caught before 8th of April, or disassemble it for code.

As long as you don't invite the MS licensing officer over to check your version of XP you will be fine... if you want to install on 100 pc's for example see my last answer.

#7 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:56 AM

TsVk!:
In point of fact, that is EXACTLY what UBCD does. It picks and chooses a minimal install set from a full disk image copy. You would use WinRAR or something to open the original iso and copy it to your HDD. Or just copy the contents of the disk. BartPE makes it's own boot image, so you don't need the one from the disk, although it can use it.

This IS NOT an installable image in the general sense. It's a working image on CD or a USB stick (I think). BartPE builds an iso image that can be booted, once written to disk. Maybe you can write it to an external HDD, on a USB to SATA adapter, then boot from that in the new machine. Since the intent of UBCD is to run from the CD, on any hardware, optimized drivers will not be loaded.

It is possible to modify the original iso by adding or removing files, then making a new iso from the result. Also, the image generation process can be modified to add or remove files from UBCD. I suppose this could include special drivers, if you know how to get them loaded during installation. Pretty slick program, actually. I guess it would be possible to build just about anything you want, given enough study.

As for Microsoft, they don't give a hoot. As long as you bought a valid copy and have a valid product key that activates and validates, they're happy and you can do whatever you like with it - FOR YOUR OWN USE. That's what the EULA is all about. If you start offending them or making money from their products (same thing!) they have a legal, CYA document to go after you with. Other than that, they don't care. They got their money, and if you mess it up, you're the one that's out, not them. You just shouldn't brag about your accomplishments - no pulling the tiger's tail.

To take that further, even though the EULA says different, they don't care what media you use for installation or where it comes from. For example, I have a set of two disks and two USB sticks that will install ANY version of Windows 7. As long as that product key is valid and matches the installed version, they're happy. Again, the EULA is a legal CYA document to give them a way to stop you if you annoy them.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:59 AM

davnel, it's exactly what nlite does as well... as the OP stated. He asked if there was any MS authorized and legal applications for it... answer is no.

And yes, all versions of windows are contained in all installation disks, and the keys work. (if you know how to use them)

and OP, Windows CE is a developer tool, not suitable for you unless you are a programmer.

edit:what I meant by all versions is that home pro and ultimate are the same installation package, just that home and pro are crippleware.

Edited by TsVk!, 15 November 2013 - 07:19 AM.

#9 Mah-jonng

Mah-jonng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:19 AM

Hi davnel and TsVk!,

Thank you both for replying to my message.

But cannot answer you both individually, at

the moment, as there is a more important,

or pressing computing matter.

Might be posting another message today

if I feel I need help!

From

Mah-jonng

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:29 AM

It would help if you could provide the very reasoning by doing a stripped down version of Windows so we can better assist you and provide the right information without speculating your end result. Without that vital information, we would be unable to point you in the right direction because it could have already been done, so please let us know why.

#11 Mah-jonng

Mah-jonng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

Hi cryptodan, davnel and TsVk!,

Thank you all for replying to my message. But  and I will answer you both individually.

First cryptodan:

Although I DID state in my original message that I DO NOT want to explain why I
want to create a slim down version of Windows XP to enable me to install it onto
a small tower desktop computer I will now state why so that there are no more
questions:

"We have a Windows XP installed tall tower desktop computer that was built for us
2 years ago (we did not chose hardware) by a Christian computer engineer man and, 
about June or July this year it developed a problem - not hardware - which we have not
informed him about yet. DO NOT want to 'say' what the problem is, for obvious reason,
so please DO NOT enquire any further. Thank you".

Second davnel:

Have used "Ultimate Boot CD For Windows" before. But did not know that I can
use it to create a minimized version of XP - which I am assuming  is a slim down
version of XP - from your XP installation disk, with the assistance of  Bart's PE!

Thank you for the information & I will make a copy of your reply to keep as future
reference.

Third TsVk!:

Although I do thank you for answering all my questions I thought, and you can correct me 
if I am wrong, that Microsoft HAS 'created', or DOES 'provide', a program to create a slim
down version of Windows XP.

Lastly, I need to ask anyone the following related question, and please provide me with a full answer:

What are your thoughts on the Windows XP Packer program?

Thank you all for your patience in this matter and I do look forward to receiving anyone's reply soon in the near future.

From

Mah-jonng :)

#12 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

Did a google search on "Windows XP Packer". Got a bunch of hits on a program called " Windows XP PowerPacker". This appears to be the answer to UBCD for Windows. It will allow the builder to produce an installable iso of whatever configuration you like, with or without drivers, and with or without auxiliary programs. In short, it allows you to configure XP in any fashion you like then create an iso that can produce a bootable installation disk.

Again, this comes down to using the result for your own installations only. You can't sell it or installations of it. I haven't looked into the licensing issues yet, but I imagine they will be covered in detail.

Well worth a look-see and playing around to discover what it can do.

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

Although I do thank you for answering all my questions I thought, and you can correct me 
if I am wrong, that Microsoft HAS 'created', or DOES 'provide', a program to create a slim
down version of Windows XP.

Not to my knowledge. There is no "authorized and legal" package... As davnel said it directly contravenes their EULA.

Would be interested to hear if there is one.

#14 Mah-jonng

Mah-jonng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

Hi davnel,

Thank you for your quick helpful reply and for answering me with kindness instead of questioning my queries.

I did once install Windows XP Power Packer from a magazine software disc just to 'have a look' as part of my
search for a program to create a slim down version of Windows XP, for my own use!

But I DID NOT understand how to use it and, I think, there were no instrustions to accompany it.

So, in reference to that program I have 2 related questions:

1. Are there instructions, maybe step by step, for this program on how to use it available online?

2. Has been authorised by Microsoft and is it legal to use?

Will none end but do I thank you for your patience in this matter and I look forward to receiving your reply,
if you feel it is necessary, soon in the near future.

From

Mah-jonng

#15 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:09 PM

I will try to answer your questions as I can. Please understand that I have just learned of this program today, and have not studied it.

1. Windows XP PowerPacker is available here:

http://powerpacker.siginetsoftware.com/index.php?download

and documented starting here:

http://powerpacker.siginetsoftware.com/index.php?manual

There is much info on that site that you need to read and understand.

As background, you also should study the documentation for UBCD for Windows starting here:

http://www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm

2. I have no way of knowing if Microsoft has blessed this package or not. You can probably find out by perusing the various forums and help sites you might find via Google, as I did.

As long as you start from a licensed, valid copy of XP, and restrict its use to your personal machines, you should be fine. Again, Microsoft doesn't care what you do to your own copy of the OS, as long as you don't try to sell it, or yell at them for technical support after you screw it up. That said, I don't see Microsoft concerning itself with a version of XP produced by this package - they have no reason to.

I will also say that, if you are looking for a push-button, no effort, automatic solution to this problem, you likely will not find it. These two programs are about as good as you're gonna get. You WILL need to study both so you understand the structure of XP, what it needs, and what it doesn't need, to operate. You might also end up researching XP in the TechNet Library for the finer points. Once you understand what you want, and have built the control files accordingly, the process of generating the .iso file is virtually automatic. Getting there IS NOT.

As I said before, one alternative is to do a full install of XP, on the system on which you intend to run it, INCLUDING all drivers for that hardware and any necessary software for your required environment. I can't imagine disk space being a problem now, so I don't really understand the necessity of a "minimum" system, unless you have a RAM limit, but 1GB should be enough, and more is really cheap. That wasn't a question, merely a comment.

In any event, once it's up and running, with all hardware and software fully functional, I would start doing a process of setting a restore point, removing something, and testing. If it works, repeat. If it doesn't, restore the system and try again with something else. Keep this up until you get it down where you want it. Understanding what XP requires at a minimum, will help immensely, so study.

Edited by davnel, 15 November 2013 - 10:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users