Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just Enough Geek To Be Dangerous

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ReverseEMF

ReverseEMF

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

I have always been fascinated with technology and specifically electronics and computing.  Back in the '70s my pet project was an Altair "like" computer based on a Z80 [we called it the "Cat Computer" because our cat made a regular practice of curling up in it (it was an "open framework" {literally})].  I got as far as a bank of lights and switches for inputting and outputting binary codes.  I even got a cassette tape backup system working (so basically a crude bootloader with tape backup).  I could blink lights like nobodies business!!  My aspirations to add a QWERTY keyboard and a monitor were dashed by the introduction of the Timex Sinclair 1000 computer (or was it the ZX81?). Then it was on to the Commodore linage: Vic-20, 64, and finally the Amiga! After that, I was leaning towards the Mac, but my work history dragged me into the PC world (with brief excursions to UNIX and Linux). Based on recent frustrations due to a Windows update causing a BSOD – I'm seriously considering Ubuntu/Wine!

I've been both a user and a programmer most of my life, starting with Z80 machine language, and progressing to Basic, FORTRAN, a little Pascal, APL, FORTH, a proprietary “FORTH like” language called VAMPIC (the system language of a line of robot vision products—I worked for the company), C, C++, Visual C++ (back before it was called “.net”), Java. I started developing windows applications back when it was Windows 3.0 (in fact, I basically began my training with a Programming Windows 2.0 Petzold book)!

I also ventured into web design: HTML/CSS/Javascript/Java [back before Microsoft killed it as a dynamic web app solution—Boo! Hiss! ActiveX, Bletch!! Yuckky! Eeeew!!!!]/JQuery/PHP/ActionScript[Flash].

I'm not an expert on PC, but I usually buy “barebones” computer packages from TigerDirect (when I need a new PC)—i.e. I assemble the thing, and then install windows, all by my lonesome.  Then, I typically add stuff to it.  For example: a dual monitor video card, more memory, USB fan out card [for my PC oscilloscope, data-logger, phone charger, flash card reader, etc], etc. and ultimately, deal with PC issues myself (with a lot of help from Google!)

I own a technology company (very unusual technology) and I'm the CEO, CIO, CFO, HR, lead engineer, PCB designer, programmer, webmaster, technician, assembler, re-worker, network admin, marketer, graphic artist, buyer, and after hours clean-up crew ('cuz it's just me ;)

Edited by ReverseEMF, 14 November 2013 - 12:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:46 PM

Crikey mate, someone has been a busy little fella.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users