Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My BSOD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ReverseEMF

ReverseEMF

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/514009/bsod/ - Hamluis.

I got one of those yesterday [a BSOD]!  A, fortunately, rare occurance, so it blew me away!  After a reboot, a number of my applications wouldn't run, including Thunderbird AND my network connection was down, and unrepairable using the resources provided by Win 7.  System Mechanic also failed!  And I even tried uninstalling the driver so windows would reinstall it (after having the Device Manager check for an update--which it apparently was [uptodate]).

I'm in the habit of shutting by PC down every night, and the night before the BSOD, windows did what appered to be an extensive update (i.e. "Patch Tuesday").  So, on the theory that my problems were being caused by a bad update, I rolled my computer back to just before before the update, and became, once again, a happy user. 

Last night (Wed 11-13-2013), Windows, once again, installed the updates, and this morning, during Windows start up, it got stuck on the "Preparing to configure Windows" screen, apparently indefinitly (I let it go for 30 mins).  To attempt to save myself from that hell, I restarted my computer and let it boot into Safe Mode.  It made it through the "Preparing to configure Windows" screen only to report an error.  So, once again, I rolled back to before the update, and here I am, typing away, on a functioning Win 7 PC -- arrgh!!

BTW: Windows Update (on my PC) was set to "Download Updates but let me choose whether to install them", so I changed it to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" but, WTF, even with the previous setting, it shouldn't have been installing the updates, right?!?.

I'm seriously considering a Ubuntu dual install (perhaps with Wine -- because of all of the Windows only software I rely on).

Edited by ReverseEMF, 14 November 2013 - 12:34 PM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

Hi

If the issue seems to be caused by a "Windows update", first find it's KB number and you can hide it to prevent installation.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24376-windows-update-hide-restore-hidden-updates.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users