Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton 360 idle tasks completely locking Laptop

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Jdaniel314

Jdaniel314

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:03 PM

Hello, my name is Jeremy.

The Laptop that I use locks up completely whenever Norton starts performing idle tasks, I've read that traces of the other Norton version (Which I had) that did not uninstall properly can cause this.

However I don't think I can find and remove said files on my own, could someone here walk me through it, please?

Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

Perform a chkdsk /f

Edited by Roodo, 14 November 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#3 Icepick

Icepick

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:14 PM

Hello Jeremy

If other copies of norton have been installed in the passed on this computer I would recommend downloading "norton removal tool" from Here. Then uninstalling the copy of norton you have installed at the moment (Please make note of your activation key or norton account login details for use when reinstall to activate you anti-virus again). After uninstalling Norton run "norton removal tool" which will get rid of any files from the copy of norton you just had installed but also any files left behind by earlier copies as well. After this restart the computer and reinstall your copy of norton and activate it.

Please let me know how this goes.

#4 Jdaniel314

Jdaniel314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:11 PM

Hello again, Sorry for not replying earlier, but when everything seemed to go smoothly I assumed that all was well.

BIG mistake!

When I ran the Norton removal tool, I decided to go ahead and Install Norton Internet security instead of 360, since 360 was about to expire and I had a three-year Norton IS account available.

While everything seemed to go well initially, after about a week I was prompted to use liveupdate, which failed, freezing the computer.

I waited for a full three hours with no activity whatsoever, and no responsiveness at all from the computer.

Then I did something which in hindsight was probably pretty stupid.

I forced a shutdown of the computer.

:blush:

After restarting, whenever Norton opens for any reason at all, it locks the computer completely.

I actually had to do a system restore to get the computer to run outside of safe mode, because before that Norton was trying to give an alert of some sort on startup that always froze everything

I want to be clear that I don't blame Norton for this, as the root cause is most likely a series of dumb mistakes on my part. :wacko:

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:04 PM

Can you remember what point in your Norton history your system restore took you back to ?

There are several possible points :  (1) Just before you started this Live update. (2) When you installed Norton IS. (3) When you had no Norton installs in place, and (4) When you were still running Norton 360.

Updates can fail for one reason or another, and this can jam up the software you are trying to update. Since you have (presumably) paid Norton good money for this three year contract, you might as well persevere with it. Again making sure you have a note of the registration details, I think it would be worth your while uninstalling Norton, using their uninstall tool, and then re-installing it again.

Norton is effective software but can be cranky - try it again by re-installing it.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#6 Jdaniel314

Jdaniel314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:51 PM

I'm starting to think this isn't just a Norton problem...

Before uninstalling and reinstalling Norton, I'd like to ask if there's a way to do this without it counting as another computer, because I have used up all the "slots" in this account.

In the meantime, I decided to download Malwarebytes and run it in safe mode because Norton's scanner wasn't working.

After downloading Malwarebytes,  I shut down the computer in order to scan in safe mode.

At this time, windows attempted to update, but failed. <_<

After this, I ran Malwarebytes in safe mode and found nothing.

I then tried doing a disk defrag, which failed to start in safe mode.

I then tried running disk defragmenter from command promt, and I

get just a descripion of the defragmenter, and nothing else... :smash:

When I tried to restart the computer in normal mode, it froze shortly after startup.

:killcomp:

To be honest, I'm wondering if I might have a virus?

Edited by Jdaniel314, 12 December 2013 - 05:52 PM.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:22 PM

With regard to doing a Norton re-install, this shouldn't be a problem. But just to be on the safe side, I would send them an e-mail and say that you are having technical problems with your computer and wish to uninstall and re-install your copy.

If running Malwarebytes in safe mode didn't find anything you are probably clean of any serious nasties. The mere fact that it ran suggests that there weren't any really heavy duty nasties in your system. But I am NOT one of BC's malware experts.

With regard to your general computing problems, I would suggest getting hold of / making a Windows repair disc and using it to repair your operating system. You can get hold of one from here, along with instructions on how to use it :

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-a-windows-system-repair-disc/

Essentially, power up your computer long enough to get the CD / DVD tray open, pop in the disc, shut down the computer and re-boot. You may need to change the boot priority setting in your BIOS to set the optical drive to the first item in the list. Then let the computer boot from the CD and follow the prompts. This will usually solve most Windows OS problems. If it doesn't, post back here.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#8 Jdaniel314

Jdaniel314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

Okay, the problem is definitely not just Norton, if Norton was ever at fault at all.

After downloading and running Norton removal tool while in safe mode with networking

(Necessary because Norton wouldn't even run in safe mode)

I decided to try and see if the computer would run with windows starting normally and the whole computer froze about a minute after logging in, but not until after I confirmed that Norton was gone.

So I decided to try making a recovery disk like you suggested, but when I typed recdisk in safe mode, it says:

"No Items match your search"

So I tried doing a system restore from safe mode and it froze while checking for affected programs.

In safe mode

So I tried using system restore in repair mode and get this error message on the first attempt:

System Restore failed to extract the file (D:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-ie-htmlrendering-31bf3856ad364e35 (Then the rest of the file name is cut off.)

It also says that the restore point was damaged or deleted during the restore attempt.

I got this message on the second restore attempt:

System Restore failed to extract the file (D:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-i...tocolimplementation_31bf3856ad3(Then the rest of the file name is cut off again)

It also says once again that the restore point was damaged or deleted during the restore attempt

So I restart in safe mode with networking and try to see if I can get the windows update that failed earlier to install properly, but when I click on windows update in the start menu, nothing happens.

So then I searched for a way to manually update windows7 and found a windows update troubleshooter at the windows site, but when I tried to run it the computer freezes AGAIN when the troubleshooter starts "searching for the problem"

I would be willing to do a factory reset system recovery at this time, if needed, as I have nothing on this computer that would be irreplaceable, but I'm worried that it would fail and then the computer would REALLY be messed up.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:01 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:25 PM

At this point, I will leave you to hamlouis - he is much better with MiniToolBox than I am.

Good luck,

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 14 December 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#11 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

I do believe you can use the same pin. Under start button go to computer. Next go to libraries on the left panel. Next go to documents and scroll down to symantec and open that. Right there should be a text file with your symantec software activation pin. By the way Norton 360 suite handles the firewall and defrag. It does the defragging and other maintenance when the system is idle. Norton does take a good sum of system memory to run. If you have a single or dual core cpu and low system memory then I could see it being troublesome.

Edited by technonymous, 14 December 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#12 Jdaniel314

Jdaniel314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:44 PM

Okay, Thanks Chris.

Okay, when I ran speccy I got this error:

"CPU dll init failed (error2)! Some information will not be displayed!"

I don't know if this helps or not, but I had to run speccy in safe mode as the computer won't run windows normally.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Qfo8EMkwquwOLyQ2c35l5xW

Ummm...

For some reason the notebook is not pasting to this forum.

Also, the file is too large to attatch.

Is there any other  site I can attatch the file to?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

The Speccy data may be enough for reasonable guesses, thanks :).

You were not to attach the MTB data... a simple cut-and-paste into your next post would have sufficed.  Are you saying that your system can't do simple tasks like cut-and-paste from a text file?

Please...uninstall versions of Symantec/Norton applications, using the removal tool, as previously suggested.  Do not reinstall it.

Norton Removal Tool

Activate the Windows Firewall...then download/install either Avast, Avira, or Microsoft Security Essentials as an AV.  Update and scan your system.

Then...run the chkdsk /r command.  Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.  Type Y in new screen and hit Enter.  Reboot.

The command will execute and boot into Windows upon completion.

Louis

#14 Jdaniel314

Jdaniel314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:13 PM

Okay, so far I've uninstalled Norton, activated Windows firewall, and installed Avira.

To clarify, I had been unable to use right-click to paste to a webpage.

The text was copying to the clipboard, and pasting fine in text documents,

but when I tried right-clicking on a webpage, the "paste" option was unavailable.

It just occurred to me to try ctrl+c and ctrl+v to copy-paste, and that worked.

Am about to start chkdsk, will post results shortly.

Here are the MiniToolbox Results.

EDIT:

Oops, didn't post the whole report the first time, adding the rest now.

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 13-07-2013
Ran by Retiredfc1 (administrator) on 15-12-2013 at 13:11:11
Running from "C:\Users\Retiredfc1\Desktop"
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium  Service Pack 1 (X64)
Boot Mode: Network

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (12/14/2013 01:14:41 PM) (Source: System Restore) (User: )
Description: The restore point selected was damaged or deleted during the restore (Installed EA Download Manager).

Error: (12/14/2013 00:03:37 PM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: NOBuClient.exe, version: 2.1.17869.0, time stamp: 0x4c056071
Faulting module name: NOBuClient.exe, version: 2.1.17869.0, time stamp: 0x4c056071
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000019f6f
Faulting process id: 0x740
Faulting application start time: 0xNOBuClient.exe0
Faulting application path: NOBuClient.exe1
Faulting module path: NOBuClient.exe2
Report Id: NOBuClient.exe3

Error: (12/12/2013 01:51:56 PM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: NOBuClient.exe, version: 2.1.17869.0, time stamp: 0x4c056071
Faulting module name: NOBuClient.exe, version: 2.1.17869.0, time stamp: 0x4c056071
Faulting process id: 0xb3c

Error: (12/12/2013 01:40:00 PM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Faulting process id: 0x9dc

Error: (12/12/2013 01:30:21 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )
Description: The Cryptographic Services service failed to initialize the VSS backup "System Writer" object.

Details:
Could not query the status of the EventSystem service.

System Error:
A system shutdown is in progress.

Error: (12/12/2013 00:05:19 PM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Faulting process id: 0xad8

Error: (12/12/2013 08:01:26 AM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Faulting process id: 0xa84

Error: (12/10/2013 10:28:56 AM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Faulting process id: 0xb14

Error: (12/09/2013 07:07:21 PM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Faulting process id: 0x894

Error: (12/09/2013 05:49:37 PM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Faulting process id: 0x9bc

System errors:
=============
Error: (12/15/2013 01:09:26 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error:
%%1068

Description: The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error:
%%1068

%%1068

Error: (12/15/2013 01:07:20 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
%%1068

%%1068

%%1068

Error: (12/15/2013 01:05:48 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
%%1068

%%1068

%%1068

%%1068

Microsoft Office Sessions:
=========================
Error: (12/14/2013 01:14:41 PM) (Source: System Restore)(User: )
Description: Installed EA Download Manager

Error: (12/14/2013 00:03:37 PM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: NOBuClient.exe2.1.17869.04c056071NOBuClient.exe2.1.17869.04c056071c00000050000000000019f6f74001cef8f6c5b44ca3C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Norton Online Backup\NOBuClient.exeC:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Norton Online Backup\NOBuClient.exe0d831665-64ea-11e3-b0cc-64315057447d

Error: (12/12/2013 01:51:56 PM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: NOBuClient.exe2.1.17869.04c056071NOBuClient.exe2.1.17869.04c056071c00000050000000000019f6fb3c01cef7739736d9aaC:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Norton Online Backup\NOBuClient.exeC:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Norton Online Backup\NOBuClient.exeda6955eb-6366-11e3-9322-64315057447d

Error: (12/12/2013 01:40:00 PM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: NOBuClient.exe2.1.17869.04c056071NOBuClient.exe2.1.17869.04c056071c00000050000000000019f6f9dc01cef771ebf3356cC:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Norton Online Backup\NOBuClient.exeC:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Norton Online Backup\NOBuClient.exe3004a7d4-6365-11e3-93b1-64315057447d

Error: (12/12/2013 01:30:21 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )
Description:
Details:
Could not query the status of the EventSystem service.

System Error:
A system shutdown is in progress.

Error: (12/12/2013 00:05:19 PM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: NOBuClient.exe2.1.17869.04c056071NOBuClient.exe2.1.17869.04c056071c00000050000000000019f6fad801cef764b64cd149C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Norton Online Backup\NOBuClient.exeC:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Norton Online Backup\NOBuClient.exef5a883ce-6357-11e3-bdec-64315057447d

Error: (12/12/2013 08:01:26 AM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: NOBuClient.exe2.1.17869.04c056071NOBuClient.exe2.1.17869.04c056071c00000050000000000019f6fa8401cef742a5427d19C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Norton Online Backup\NOBuClient.exeC:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Norton Online Backup\NOBuClient.exee3b5eafa-6335-11e3-aabf-64315057447d

Error: (12/10/2013 10:28:56 AM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: NOBuClient.exe2.1.17869.04c056071NOBuClient.exe2.1.17869.04c056071c00000050000000000019f6fb1401cef5c4eb1b99afC:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Norton Online Backup\NOBuClient.exeC:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Norton Online Backup\NOBuClient.exe29a71369-61b8-11e3-b463-64315057447d

Error: (12/09/2013 07:07:21 PM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: NOBuClient.exe2.1.17869.04c056071NOBuClient.exe2.1.17869.04c056071c00000050000000000019f6f89401cef5442a582ca6C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Norton Online Backup\NOBuClient.exeC:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Norton Online Backup\NOBuClient.exe6b32223f-6137-11e3-8ef9-64315057447d

Error: (12/09/2013 05:49:37 PM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: NOBuClient.exe2.1.17869.04c056071NOBuClient.exe2.1.17869.04c056071c00000050000000000019f6f9bc01cef5395088b637C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Norton Online Backup\NOBuClient.exeC:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Norton Online Backup\NOBuClient.exe8f7758a3-612c-11e3-ada9-64315057447d

=========================== Installed Programs ============================

Acrobat.com (Version: 1.6.65)
Adobe AIR (Version: 1.5.0.7220)
Adobe Flash Player 11 ActiveX (Version: 11.9.900.170)
Adobe Reader 9.5.5 MUI (Version: 9.5.5)
Adobe Shockwave Player 11.5 (Version: 11.5.7.609)
AMD USB Filter Driver (Version: 1.0.15.94)
Atheros Driver Installation Program (Version: 9.2)
ATI Catalyst Install Manager (Version: 3.0.765.0)
Bejeweled 2 Deluxe (Version: 2.2.0.95)
Blackhawk Striker 2 (Version: 2.2.0.95)
Build-a-lot 2 (Version: 2.2.0.95)
Catalyst Control Center - Branding (Version: 1.00.0000)
Catalyst Control Center Core Implementation (Version: 2010.0617.855.14122)
Catalyst Control Center Graphics Full Existing (Version: 2010.0617.855.14122)
Catalyst Control Center Graphics Full New (Version: 2010.0617.855.14122)
Catalyst Control Center Graphics Light (Version: 2010.0617.855.14122)
Catalyst Control Center Graphics Previews Common (Version: 2010.0617.855.14122)
Catalyst Control Center Graphics Previews Vista (Version: 2010.0617.855.14122)
Catalyst Control Center InstallProxy (Version: 2010.0617.855.14122)
Catalyst Control Center Localization All (Version: 2010.0617.855.14122)
CCC Help Chinese Standard (Version: 2010.0617.0854.14122)
CCC Help Chinese Traditional (Version: 2010.0617.0854.14122)
CCC Help Czech (Version: 2010.0617.0854.14122)
CCC Help Danish (Version: 2010.0617.0854.14122)
CCC Help Dutch (Version: 2010.0617.0854.14122)
CCC Help English (Version: 2010.0617.0854.14122)
CCC Help Finnish (Version: 2010.0617.0854.14122)
CCC Help French (Version: 2010.0617.0854.14122)
CCC Help German (Version: 2010.0617.0854.14122)
CCC Help Greek (Version: 2010.0617.0854.14122)
CCC Help Hungarian (Version: 2010.0617.0854.14122)
CCC Help Italian (Version: 2010.0617.0854.14122)
CCC Help Japanese (Version: 2010.0617.0854.14122)
CCC Help Korean (Version: 2010.0617.0854.14122)
CCC Help Norwegian (Version: 2010.0617.0854.14122)
CCC Help Polish (Version: 2010.0617.0854.14122)
CCC Help Portuguese (Version: 2010.0617.0854.14122)
CCC Help Russian (Version: 2010.0617.0854.14122)
CCC Help Spanish (Version: 2010.0617.0854.14122)
CCC Help Swedish (Version: 2010.0617.0854.14122)
CCC Help Thai (Version: 2010.0617.0854.14122)
CCC Help Turkish (Version: 2010.0617.0854.14122)
ccc-core-static (Version: 2010.0617.855.14122)
ccc-utility64 (Version: 2010.0617.855.14122)
Chuzzle Deluxe (Version: 2.2.0.95)
CinemaNow Media Manager (Version: 1.9.1.105)
Cisco EAP-FAST Module (Version: 2.2.14)
Cisco LEAP Module (Version: 1.0.19)
Cisco PEAP Module (Version: 1.1.6)
Company of Heroes - FAKEMSI (Version: 2.0.0.0)
CyberLink DVD Suite (Version: 7.0.3003)
CyberLink MediaShow (Version: 5.0.1616)
CyberLink PowerDVD 9 (Version: 9.0.1.4217)
CyberLink YouCam (Version: 3.0.2511)
Diner Dash 2 Restaurant Rescue (Version: 2.2.0.95)
Dora's Carnival Adventure (Version: 2.2.0.95)
Energy Star Digital Logo (Version: 1.0.1)
Escape Rosecliff Island (Version: 2.2.0.95)
ESU for Microsoft Windows 7 (Version: 1.0.0)
FATE (Version: 2.2.0.95)
Final Drive Nitro (Version: 2.2.0.95)
GameSpy Arcade
Google Chrome (Version: 31.0.1650.63)
Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer (Version: 1.0.0)
Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer (Version: 7.5.4601.54)
Google Update Helper (Version: 1.3.22.3)
Heroes of Hellas 2 - Olympia (Version: 2.2.0.95)
Hewlett-Packard ACLM.NET v1.2.1.1 (Version: 1.00.0000)
HP Advisor (Version: 3.4.10262.3295)
HP Customer Experience Enhancements (Version: 6.0.1.7)
HP Documentation (Version: 1.1.1.0)

HP Game Console
HP Games (Version: 1.0.1.3)
HP MediaSmart CinemaNow 2.0 (Version: 2.0)
HP Photo Creations (Version: 1.0.0.3611)
HP Power Manager (Version: 1.0.3)
HP Quick Launch (Version: 2.3.6)
HP Setup (Version: 8.1.4186.3400)
HP Software Framework (Version: 4.0.108.1)
HP Support Assistant (Version: 7.0.39.15)
HP Wireless Assistant (Version: 4.0.9.0)
IP Set Utility v1.0.3
IQCentral (Version: 1.14.0.5935)
Java 7 Update 45 (Version: 7.0.450)
Java Auto Updater (Version: 2.1.9.8)
Java™ 6 Update 20 (64-bit) (Version: 6.0.200)
Jewel Quest 3 (Version: 2.2.0.95)
Jewel Quest Solitaire 2 (Version: 2.2.0.95)
Junk Mail filter update (Version: 14.0.8117.416)
LabelPrint (Version: 2.5.2907)
LightScribe System Software (Version: 1.18.15.1)
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300 (Version: 1.75.0.1300)
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (Version: 4.0.30319)
Microsoft Application Error Reporting (Version: 12.0.6015.5000)
Microsoft Choice Guard (Version: 2.0.48.0)
Microsoft IntelliPoint 8.2 (Version: 8.20.468.0)
Microsoft Interop Forms Redistributable Package 2.0a (Version: 2.0.0)
Microsoft Office 2010 (Version: 14.0.4763.1000)
Microsoft Silverlight (Version: 5.1.20913.0)
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition [ENU] (Version: 3.1.0000)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (Version: 8.0.61001)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64) (Version: 8.0.56336)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64) (Version: 8.0.59192)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64) (Version: 8.0.61000)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.17 (Version: 9.0.30729)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.4148 (Version: 9.0.30729.4148)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161 (Version: 9.0.30729.6161)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17 (Version: 9.0.30729)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148 (Version: 9.0.30729.4148)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161 (Version: 9.0.30729.6161)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010  x64 Redistributable - 10.0.40219 (Version: 10.0.40219)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010  x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219 (Version: 10.0.40219)
Microsoft WSE 3.0 Runtime (Version: 3.0.5305.0)
Monopoly by Parker Brothers (Version: 1.0.406.0)
MSVCRT (Version: 14.0.1468.721)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430) (Version: 4.20.9870.0)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB973688) (Version: 4.20.9876.0)
Norton Internet Security (Version: 21.1.0.18)
Norton Online Backup (Version: 2.1.17869)
Origin (Version: 9.2.1.4399)
Penguins! (Version: 2.2.0.95)
PhotoNow! (Version: 1.1.6904)
Plants vs. Zombies (Version: 2.2.0.95)
Poker Superstars III (Version: 2.2.0.95)
Polar Bowler (Version: 2.2.0.95)
Polar Golfer (Version: 2.2.0.95)
Power2Go (Version: 6.1.4204)
PowerDirector (Version: 8.0.3003)
Realtek Ethernet Controller Driver For Windows 7 (Version: 7.18.322.2010)
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (Version: 6.0.1.6206)
Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader (Version: 6.1.7600.30120)
Recovery Manager (Version: 5.5.3023)
Roxio CinemaNow 2.0 (Version: 1.0.278)
RTKXI
RtVOsd (Version: 1.0.6)
Speccy (Version: 1.24)
SPORE™ (Version: 1.05.0001)
SPORE™ Creepy & Cute Parts Pack (Version: 1.00.0000)
Synaptics Pointing Device Driver (Version: 15.3.29.0)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2468871) (Version: 1)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2533523) (Version: 1)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2600217) (Version: 1)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2836939v3) (Version: 3)
Virtual Families (Version: 2.2.0.95)
Virtual Villagers - The Secret City (Version: 2.2.0.95)
Wheel of Fortune 2 (Version: 2.2.0.95)
Windows Live Call (Version: 14.0.8117.0416)
Windows Live Communications Platform (Version: 14.0.8117.416)
Windows Live Essentials (Version: 14.0.8117.0416)
Windows Live Essentials (Version: 14.0.8117.416)
Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant (Version: 6.500.3165.0)
Windows Live Mail (Version: 14.0.8117.0416)
Windows Live Messenger (Version: 14.0.8117.0416)
Windows Live Movie Maker (Version: 14.0.8117.0416)
Windows Live Photo Gallery (Version: 14.0.8117.416)
Windows Live Sync (Version: 14.0.8117.416)
Windows Live Upload Tool (Version: 14.0.8014.1029)
Windows Live Writer (Version: 14.0.8117.0416)
Zuma Deluxe (Version: 2.2.0.95)

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 20%
Total physical RAM: 2810.9 MB
Available physical RAM: 2228.32 MB
Total Pagefile: 5619.98 MB
Available Pagefile: 5072.13 MB
Total Virtual: 4095.88 MB
Available Virtual: 3980.1 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================

1 Drive c: () (Fixed) (Total:281.46 GB) (Free:228.37 GB) NTFS
2 Drive d: (RECOVERY) (Fixed) (Total:16.34 GB) (Free:2.36 GB) NTFS
4 Drive f: (HP_TOOLS) (Fixed) (Total:0.1 GB) (Free:0.09 GB) FAT32

========================= Users: ========================================

User accounts for \\RETIREDFC1-HP

Administrator            Guest                    Retiredfc1              

**** End of log ****

Edited by Jdaniel314, 15 December 2013 - 07:18 PM.

#15 Jdaniel314

Jdaniel314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

Okay, during the chkdsk scan I wrote down what was in the progress report:

0 bad file records

0 unindexed files

Windows replaced bad clusters in file 14547 of name \windows\SOFTWA~1\Download\44A709~1\window~1.CAB

On the second restart the volume is declared clean, so I decide to see if windows will start normally.

On startup, even though I previously ran Norton Removal tool, I get two different notices of Norton Installation service downloader attempting to make changes to the hard drive, both of which I deny.

Then a Norton window pops up asking me if I want to install Norton, and I click "cancel".

About 30 seconds after the Norton window closes, windows becomes unresponsive once again.

Edited by Jdaniel314, 15 December 2013 - 09:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users