Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win2008R2: Primary DNS address disappears on reboot...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gpence

gpence

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:20 AM

Here's the background:

I have a Dell T410 Server with Win Server 2008 R2 on it. We work in a University setting where there are several layers of IT "responsibility" -- we have a University IT unit, a campus IT unit, a College IT unit, and IT personnel within various working groups (research groups, admin groups, etc.)

The campus IT unit assignes us a 64-address IP segment (xx.xx.x9.128 - xx.xx.x9.191 where .128 and .191 are reserved and .129 is the gateway) and the campus DNS server is xx.xx.2.131 and the WINS servers are xx.xx.5.30 and xx.xx.5.31.

We recently moved from one physical location to another location. Unfortunately, our network segment was tied to a specific building switch so our IP addresses no  longer worked in the new location. Instead, we reconfigured and used the local building's DHCP services and were able to connect with no fuss, no muss. While I waited for the campus IT unit to move our network segment, I was able to do some upgrades to the Server 2008 R2 (so I know the hardware worked...)

About 7 days ago, the Central networking office switched our network segment and bound our segment to the appropriate port in our new building. I went into the server, edited the network adapter configuration to a manual config using:

xx.xx.x9.132 as the IP address,

255.255.255.192 as the net mask,

xx.xx.x9.129 as the gateway,

xx.xx.2.131 as the primary DNS server,

and xx.xx.5.30 as the primary WINS

and xx.xx. 5.31 as the secondary WINS

As expected, I have to reboot for the changes to take effect.

I reboot and something unexpected happened. I have no connectivity and when I look at the settings, the DNS server address (xx.xx.2.131) is gone. All of the other settings are stored, but it's gone. I flushed the DNS cache (using "ipconfig /flushdns" as an administrator), re-entered my DNS address and (again) rebooted. Same results. I've tried this about 4-5 times and have tried several other suggestions, (different jacks, cables, unplugging the power before rebooting, etc.) but nothing seems to work. I've consulted with the campus IT unit and with several College IT people too, but no one seems to understand what's happening.

Although this is a research machine and has NO production data on it yet, I'd rather not reformat and reinstall if I can avoid it because I have several virtual servers configured (not running since before our move to the new location) and I'd rather not have to do this all again.

Ideas? It *seems* like I came across this issue ages ago, but I can't find anything in my notes about it... the frustration level is getting HIGH. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

gpence

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

Just a quick question, have you disabled the DHCP Service from starting up and see if the DNS addresses stay put?

#3 gpence

gpence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:18 PM

I verified that DHCP service is disabled -- still disappearing.

#4 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:21 AM

A few random thoughts....

I assume that the system is not reverting to the last known good configration on each reboot?

Is the physical adapter hidden behind any teaming configration? (even if you are not using the teaming). Thinking that some more complex 'stacked' driver confgurations could be confusing things.

Does a netsh command like the following work any better?

netsh interface ipv4 set dnsservers "Local Area Connection" static 172.16.1.10  primary

The DNS servers are stored in a sub-key the registry under \\HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Parameters\Interfaces. There will be several GUID values under that key - one for each interface. Browse them to locate the interface (by looking at the other settings for you interface - IP Address, gateway etc... ) Note that some old inactive configurations for previous driver instances for that lan connection may exist so you may see duplicates. Within that sub-key there is a key called "NameServer" - it is a string value containing a comma separated list of the statically configured DNS servers. It is this which persists the DNS servers between reboots. It would be interesting to know if that setting gets recorded correctly when the settings are saved, and when it dissapears.

x64

#5 gpence

gpence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

Brilliant suggestion x64... the results surprised me -- "Acces is denied."  Whoa!

#6 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

If you are referring to the netsh command (and are running it from a command prompt), ensure that the command prompt is being run as administrator - by default it will not be so elevated (does the title bar say "Administrator: Command Prompt" or just "Command Prompt"?

x64

Edited by x64, 19 November 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#7 gpence

gpence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

Sorry for the delay in responding x64... Thanksgiving and some travel kept me away from this topic.

Yes, I was running as Admin and confirmed it on the cmd title bar... Access is denied.

Furthermore, when I tried running regedit to check the registry entries, there was no Parameters folder under CurrentControlSet/services.

#8 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:07 PM

Sorry for the delay in responding x64... Thanksgiving and some travel kept me away from this topic.

Yes, I was running as Admin and confirmed it on the cmd title bar... Access is denied.

Furthermore, when I tried running regedit to check the registry entries, there was no Parameters folder under CurrentControlSet/services.

Appoligies, I missed the service name out of the registry path

it should have been \\HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces

That has to be there -- it contains the TCPIP configuration of your system.

x64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users