Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 panthersfan25

panthersfan25

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

Hello All,

I recently had a new router put in (cable company put it in it is a new modem/router all in one) and the wireless was setup by the company, my laptop connects to it, and it shows full strength and Internet Access, but when I try to open a web browser it shows not connected.  If I plug it in, it immediately works and there is no issue, I can ping sites and everything, then I unplug the Ethernet cable and it stops working again, I try pinging websites nothing, if I ping the dns server it is connected to it will reply.

I have checked with the cable company and they have verified that everything is working, I also have a kindle and it can connect wirelessly with no issues and access the browser.

Any thoughts as to what is causing this?  It is just weird that everything shows it should be working but it isn't.  Then as soon as I plug the cable in it works without changing anything at all.

It is a Windows 7 Home laptop with Panda Security on it.

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:49 AM

Underneath the router/modem you will find a wep key number listed which is needed when setting up a wifi. Have you entered that when trying access via wifi?

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:41 PM

Sounds like DHCP problem with the gateway not being pushed through WiFi. Set the IP address amnually and manually add the DNS and gateway, see if that works mate.

#4 panthersfan25

panthersfan25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:20 AM

Thanks Guys!!

I am not sure what fixed it, I went back in to double check the key and also to add the information manually and before I did everything was working, so I am not sure if the ISP just reset everything on their end or what, but it is working now thanks!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users