Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mustek Flat Bed Scanner.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cyclops

cyclops

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:04 AM

[size=3]Hi all, my MUSTEK scanner worked with 98 but was not compatable with XP.
Mustek sent me instructions as to how I could make it compatable.
Firstly they sent me a new driver via ZIP file with instructions.
INSERT THE OLD INSTALLATION DISC WITH THE ATTACHED XP TOOL AND RUN THE APPLICATION.
IF THE XP FILE DOESNT OPEN THE RUN FILE, (WHICH IT DIDNT) THEN I SHOULD DO THE FOLLOWING.

GO TO THE REGISTRY- FIND HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS NT/CURRENT VERSION. (WHICH I DID)
CHANGE THE PRODUCT NAME FROM "MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP" TO "MICROSOFT WINDOWS 2000"
THEN INSTALL THE CD WITHOUT THE XP TOOL.
RESTART THE PC AND CONNECT THE SCANNER WITH THE PC.
THE SCANNER MUST BE RECOGNIZED.
THEN UNDO THE CHANGE MADE IN THE REGISTRY.

Ive found the file BUT dont have a clue how to AMEND it from MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP TO
MICROSOFT WINDOWS 2000
AND how to put it back to where it was after the installation?
Can you please give me instructions as how to do this? I need it in real basic step by step instructions,
as I dont want to cock it up. Thanks guys. CYCLOPS (TED)
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:01 PM

You've already know how to do the hard part - run Regedit and navigate to the proper key. All that you need to do it double-click on the value "MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP" which will pop up an edit box. Edit the value string to "MICROSOFT WINDOWS 2000" and press Enter. Voila ! It's done - exit out of Regedit and follow the rest of the directions given to you:
"THEN INSTALL THE CD WITHOUT THE XP TOOL.
RESTART THE PC AND CONNECT THE SCANNER WITH THE PC.
THE SCANNER MUST BE RECOGNIZED.
THEN UNDO THE CHANGE MADE IN THE REGISTRY."

I hope you know what the "XP Tool" is, because I don't.

#3 cyclops

cyclops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:41 AM

Pascor, hi. Im a bit of a novice and I dont know what you mean by double click on the VALUE? What is
the VALUE. Have the TYPE which is REG SZ and the DATA which is MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP. which one do I double click on? then you say EDIT the VALUE STRING to MICROSOFT WINDOWS 2000? where do I
get that from, DO I type it in the pop up box or what?
Sorry to be so thick, but I really am a novice at this sort of thing. I DONT WANT TO COCK ANYTHING UP.
The XP TOOL is the driver for MUSTEK Scanner, which compatable for XP whereas mine isnt, BUT my driver
CD is compatable for 2000 which is why I have to change the registry.
Hoping you can help me. thanks CYCLOPS (TED) :

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 07:37 AM

I had the exact same problem with my old mustek scanner. After I fought with it, and finally got it to install on WinXP, the bridge ocr wouldn't work, and the scanner worked great.....when it wanted to. I'd have 3 or 4 pictures to scan, and would have to restart after each individual scan because it just didn't want to work right, and kept locking up the OS. I never got it to work like it should've. Needless to say, it was such a headache that I went out and bought another scanner, which came with xp drivers.....works great. Not to mention that the new scanner is faster, quiter, quicker and the colors are better, and you (I) can scan film negatives, batch scan and some other neat stuff like set photos to music, create a slide show etc. etc. Just some food for thought. IMHO, it was $60 well spent for me :thumbsup:

I hope that you have better luck than I did....as it was just one headache after another for me trying to get that mustek scanner working with with xp :flowers:

Edited by stevealmighty, 03 May 2006 - 07:37 AM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 cyclops

cyclops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:42 AM

:thumbsup: Steve, hi, im beginning to think like that, seems such a waste of time and effort, and they arent all that dear, so great minds think alike.
CHEERS. CYCLOPS (TED)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users