Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS 8100, new hard drive - problem loading drivers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ed tbceasj

Ed tbceasj

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:30 PM

I have a 3 year old Dell XPS 8100 tower with W7 installed.  The hard drive has partially failed.  I bought a new hard drive and downloaded and installed W7 from Microsoft.  I had forgotten that when I bought my computer from Best Buy, the sales person said I did not need any recovery disks because they were already available on the PC.  I think they might have meant I needed to create a system image - regardless, I have no recovery disks and can't create a system image because there are some files that Windows is not able to locate (even though they are in the directory).

When I tried to connect my PC to the internet wirelessly, I got a message indicating that there were no connections available.  Same response when I plug in the internet cable.  I do not have problems accessing the internet with the old drive installed.  I figured this must be because I need to install drivers.

I located the drivers on Dell's website, which included the network drivers.  I took the option to download the files and create an iso file.  The iso file gets created but when I burn it to DVD, it is no longer an iso file.  Instead I see multiple files and folders.  When I try to look at any of the files or folders, Windows says it can't locate the file.  Although these are supposed to be drivers, I do not see any dll files.

I read that my computer has two chipset drivers and that these need to be loaded before any other drivers.  However, when I try this, I still get the same result.

What am I doing wrong?  This has been an exasperating experience.

Thanks - Ed Seigler

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:29 AM

Have tried booting the computer from the DVD you created?  Insert the DVD while the computer is running, shut down the computer, restart.

Give a link to the Dell instructions for creating the DVD.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Ed tbceasj

Ed tbceasj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

Hi buddy215 -

Thanks a lot for your response.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to get to my computer for a while.  The following is what I tried to do (to the best of my recollection since it has now been several weeks).

The following is the website I visited.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/product/studio-xps-8100

From here you can choose which drivers to download.  I originally selected all 55 drivers (thinking this would be the safest route).  However the download process was taking such a long time and there is no visual indication of your progress.  I then decided on selecting what I thought would be the most critical drivers to be able to connect to the internet.  If I recall correctly, I focused on the chipset drivers, BIOS, and network drivers.  I copied the drivers to DVD but they did not appear to have loaded.  After reading that the drivers need to be installed in the correct order, I tried installing the chipset drivers first, then the BIOS, the network drivers.  Still no luck.

Just visited the following website today:

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=268873

Today (Thursday) or tomorrow I am going to try to follow Dell's steps in reloading the drivers.  Will let you know exactly what happened.

Thanks a lot - Ed

#4 Ed tbceasj

Ed tbceasj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

Almost forgot - Rebooting from DVD was one of the FIRST things I had tried.  Nothing happened (from what I recall.  I will be able to better describe what happened after I try again.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

From my experience with reinstalling Windows on a Dell Computer, all I did was download the drivers, copy the downloaded drivers to a CD,

insert the CD into the computer that needed the drivers, copy the drivers to the computer, double clicked on each driver to install.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users