Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD, Virtualization

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

I read that virtualization software can be an issue on solid state drives because they have a limited number of read and writes. Should I be concerned about using Shadow Defender, for example, on modern solid state drives, such as the Samsung 840 Pro Series?

Edited by Dark Magician Girl, 13 November 2013 - 09:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,741 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:13 AM

From Shadow Defender Forum

In all honesty...I find it hard to believe that an app can have a negative impact...because of the storage medium used.  I didn't look very hard but the articles I reviewed indicate that there is no problem.

As far as SSDs versus HDDs...the purported limited read/writes...if such exists...certainly is preferable to the current expected failure rate of any HDD, IMO.  The only thing mandating against at total obsolescence of hard drives, IMO...is the price/capacity of current SSDs.  HDDs are the clear winner when it comes to storage capacity...but there is that general, unpredictable failure rate that many users don't seem to consider realistically.

Louis

#3 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:36 PM

I do want a solid state drive. I would like to breathe some life into my old desktop. The question is whether I'll be using Shadow Defender with it. I would like to be able to because it provides peace of mind when I'm using the computer knowing I can just reboot the computer to rid it of an infection, and I can try out new programs knowing I can just reboot the computer to remove everything from associate with those programs. I read that people should create a RAM disk for Shadow Defender's cache or move it to a HDD. I also read that people should disable Window's indexing service and move the pagefile to a HDD. I wonder whether any of this is really necessary? I would like to be to just use the SSD seamlessly, but will it wear out too quickly if I neglect these things? I plan on purchasing a second HDD for movie and music storage, so that isn't an issue. 

#4 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:33 PM

Solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users