Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Won't Install.....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:40 AM

So, I wiped a hdd on a friends computer, reinstalled the OS on it (WinXP home) and brought it back to their house so I could set up their network for them. They have a wireless G linksys router (2.4ghz?), a computer upstairs that's recieving a signal from it, and a laptop with "WI-FI"(?) on it.

They couldn't find the discs for it (the original install discs) so I used mine since I have the exact same router. Well, everything went fine, and I did EXACTLY as the instructions said up until the part when it came time for the computer to recognize the router. It said "router not installed. check connections and try again." After several failed attempts, and starting from scratch several more times, and unplugging the cable modem so it would reset the IP address, restarting the computer and unpluging the router itself, nothing worked. Then, for no apparent reason, after it had told me "router not installed" it worked fine. I just can't see the router from the hosting computer....but it gets on the internet fine, the computer upstairs (recieving a wireless signal) gets on the internet fine, and so does the laptop.

My question is "Why?". I don't understand this at all. I can't even make something up as to why it's working. If the router won't install, then how (and why) is everything working fine and dandy?

TBH, I'm completely and uterly baffled by this whole situation. :thumbsup: I think it's only a matter of time before it all craps out again and stops working, so I'd like to fix it before that happens. Any advice on how to fix this "situation"?

Thanks in advance!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cowee

cowee

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:02 PM

Typically routers dont actually need to be installed on a computer to work as a router is basically a computer in itself. The only thing you really need to do to connect to a router is plug a cable into it (unless it is wireless of course).

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:08 PM

Ok, so I understand about how it would work if it wasn't installed. What I don't understand is how the wireless reciever can recieve a signal and get online. More over, why does the router allow it if I haven't set it up to do that, like set the security, the chanell etc. etc.? I've already reset routers settings to factory default before I even attempted to install it, so it should've been like a new piece of equipment. I can see the wi-fi working but not the reciever on the upstairs computer.

Ugh....gives me a headache. :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 cowee

cowee

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:03 PM

By default most home/small office routers broadcast thier SSID openly and unencrypted automatically. Computers that have a wireless card will constantly be searching for such a signal and once one is detected will usually automatically connect to it. This means that any computer, whether you want them or not, will be able to use that wireless connection. I would suggest changing the SSID, turning off SSID broadcasts, and enabling encryption on the router. You'll have to then manually add any wireless computers by specifying the SSID (since it wont be able to detect it now) and entering the authentication key (you can create one yourself or have the router generate one for you).

Hope this helps your understanding. If not let me know and I'll try to explain a little better.

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:56 PM

Ok, I understand that, although don't ask me what ssid stands for :thumbsup: But I understand the technical reasoning behind it.

However, how can I changed the security levels (encryption) if I can't install the software to do it? The computer won't recognize the router, so the router won't let me finish the software installation; I need the software to adjust the security levles (don't I?).

Right now, it's working. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But when it stops working, I want to be able to make it work the right way, and leave there knowing that I've fixed it.....not leave there wondering how it's actually working and how long it's gonna last.....

Ouch....my head is hurting again..... :flowers:

Thanks for your help cowee :trumpet:
Posted Image

#6 cowee

cowee

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 02:31 PM

You'll need to log into the router to change the settings. You can do this by:

1. Open I.E of Firefox and type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar (this address may be different depending on your router model, do an ipconfig to find the default gateway: that is the address you want to type here)

2. You'll be prompted for a username//password. Typically this is admin//password by default, but again it depends on the router model (you can google that information if this doesnt work).

3. Then you will have access to the router configuration page. You'll want to find the wireless settings section. You should be able to make the changes you need there.

I would suggest changing the default username//password as anyone could technically log into it and completely disable the router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users