Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Connect to my Server Remotely.?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 suntelpc13

suntelpc13

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:45 PM

I have an network lab-setup at home. All running server 2008. 1 Domain Controller/DNS 1 Dhcp. 

I want to be able to remotely log-in to them when im not home. using RDC or an web browser.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 goldfist

goldfist

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:26 PM

In the past I have used 3 ways of doing this.... VNC ( free ), RDP now termed RDC ( free ), and Gotomypc ( paid service ), however I havent tried this with Server 2008, I was doing this back with Server 2003.

As far as the free methods that I listed, I trust RDP more than VNC since I did have a system hacked once with an older version of VNC that was on the DMZ.

Allowing access to the Servers Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) is pretty easy, but you will want to assign the servers static IP's and you can also change their RDC ports from 3389 to another port number so that each server has its own port, so connecting to one server would be port 3389 and another would be say 8077, and another 8088, and another 8089, etc. Of which you will configure the router to port forward the remote connection to the server of which the port designation is specified. I would not have the systems floating on dynamic DHCP unless you have reservations set so that by mac address specific systems always get the specific IP lease. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306759

I have generally only had one single point of entry to remote networks though and then from the system that I am controlling tunnel then further on to other systems and servers with VNC, although the tunneling on thru from the single remote desktop to other systems was performed with a single Windows XP Pro system that was on one of the remote site networks and I used this as a back door in to the network when a spoke between the 6 sites was down as another way in to gain access to other network hardware to diagnose the issue remotely and reboot hardware remotely with Web Power Switches from DLI  http://www.digital-loggers.com/lpc.html, and also had a primitive backdoor setup in case the ISP connection was down to allow access into the corporate network via a PC Anywhere dial-up connection and then either direct access over 56k or tunnel from a Pentium II 266Mhz system running Server 2000 to other systems over RealVNC.

Edited by goldfist, 20 December 2013 - 06:31 PM.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:31 AM

I never remote directly in using RDP/VNC or anything on any port unless it's proxy tunneled through be it...SSL web panel, Openvpn, Windows Server VPN, or a SSH server. The thing about ssh is you can throw it on anything and it will be rock solid secure once you config it correctly.

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:17 PM

Agreed with SSL, i would use SSTP which is basically PPTP with a SSL certificate you create and deploy.

In all honesty though, nothing is %100 bullet proof. I find IPCOP and OpenVPN does the job for the small number of people i give it to.

If you know the IP you are connecting from then just allow that one ip or subnet to have access to the right port and never use the defaults, always re-bind with a different port (Stop RDP crackers)_.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users