Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook FROZEN

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 scratcher

scratcher

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

Hi All:

A few weeks ago I started to download DVDShrink from what looked like a perfectly legitimate company site. After I clicked to download the program it began to install itself. At the same time all kinds of alarms went off - Comodo, Malwarebytes, etc. - and I quickly shut down.

After booting up I ran a quick Mbam scan and it found 32 infected files which I deleted. I then ran a full Mbam scan and it found a bunch more. Later I also ran full Mbam and Avast scans but this time around neither came up with anything. I also used ERUNT to replace the Registry with a clean copy made earlier.

For a few days everything ran OK but then Firefox began to freeze up whenever I brought up a page with a Youtube video on it. Then other things started to freeze - Task Manager, etc. - and now it's reached the stage that the computer won't boot up properly at all. Almost everything is frozen. The computer won't even start in Safe Mode. At best it just brings up my mouse pointer (which is working) and my desktop wallpaper but nothing more.

Different Windows messages have appeared at times one of which said something to the effect that Windows was stopping to prevent further damage. There is a separate RESTORE section on the drive for restoring the computer to factory settings but I can't access it. Since I can't get into the computer to do anything at all I'm wondering if there's any way of being able to get the computer working again.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by scratcher, 13 November 2013 - 08:43 PM.

* HP Pavilion dv7 *  2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II N850 Triple-Core *  4.0 GB RAM  *  Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) *   Firefox 3.6.17 * Thunderbird 3.1.11 *  Comodo Firewall  *  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1 Pro *  avast! Free Anti-Virus 2014.9.0.2007  *  Erunt  *

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:30 AM

Try performing a repair installation. This will preserve your user accounts, data, programs, and system drivers.

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

The ISO image will need to be burned to a DVD in order to create a bootable installation disc.

1a)  To burn a ISO file to a DVD please download ImgBurn and install it.

2a)  Insert a blank DVD into your CD/DVD drive tray, and then close the tray.

3a)  Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

4a)  Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

5a)  Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

6a)  Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable DVD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 scratcher

scratcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

Hi Arachibutyrophobia:

Many thanks for your very detailed suggestions. At an earlier stage of this hassle I was given choice by Win 7 of running some sort of system repair and did so several times but to no avail. The situation now is that I can't get into the computer to do anything. All I get after booting is a mouse pointer, a blank screen with nothing to click on, and no messages of any kind from Windows.

* HP Pavilion dv7 *  2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II N850 Triple-Core *  4.0 GB RAM  *  Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) *   Firefox 3.6.17 * Thunderbird 3.1.11 *  Comodo Firewall  *  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1 Pro *  avast! Free Anti-Virus 2014.9.0.2007  *  Erunt  *

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

Use the installation disc and follow the instructions previously posted.  

At step 7b) click on the Command Prompt type in chkdsk /r and press Enter.

chkdsk /r checks for bad sectors on the hdd and recovers any readable information.

After this has run, go back to the Command Prompt and type in sfc /scannow and press Enter.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Please notice the space between chkdk and the /r, and sfc and the /scannow.

Now choose the Startup Repair in the System Recovery Options and follow those instructions.

Edited by dc3, 15 November 2013 - 09:54 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 scratcher

scratcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

Hi Arachibutyrophobia:

Thanks again for your suggestions. I'm sure they contain excellent advice. The problem is that my computer is totally frozen and I can't use an installation disk or type or do any of the things you are suggesting.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:22 PM

You boot from the disc, not the operating system.  Place the disc in your optical drive and restart the computer to boot from the disc.

You may need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order to make the CD/DVD-ROM the first device in the boot order and the hdd the second device.  You can do this as well without involving the operating system.

#7 scratcher

scratcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:10 PM

Hi Arachibutyrophobia:

OK. I tried booting from the disc and it ignored the disc. So how do I enter the BIOS to change the boot order? The option to do that appeared once earlier on after pressing either ESC (for bootup options on the HP) or F6 on startup but doing that no longer brings up that option.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

To access the BIOS you will need to use the F-key for your HP model.

Hewlett-Packard (HP) - Pavilion, TouchSmart, Vectra, OmniBook, Tablet

• Press the F1F10, or F11 key after restarting the computer.
  • HP Tablet PCs may use F10 or F12.
  • Other HP computers may allow access to BIOS using the F2 or Esc keys.

An aside.

My username is dc3, as yours is scratcher.  My member title is Arachibutyrophobia, as your is Member.  When you reach 1,000 posts you can change your member name to one of your choice, within reason.

#9 scratcher

scratcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

Hi dc3:

Sorry about the confusion over your name, and many thanks for this information about the F keys. I'll try them out and report back  on the result. I'm kicking myself for having gotten into this mess. I figured that, after MBAM had detected and removed around 40 infected files (most of which were listed as PUP on the MBAM log) my dv7 was clean but it was then that I should have come here to make sure.

#10 scratcher

scratcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:49 PM

Hi dc7:

I tried all the F keys and here is what they bring up:

F1 - System Information

F2 - Advanced System Diagnostics

F9 - Boot Manager with 3 options: 1. Hard Drive; 2. CD/DVD Rom Drive; 3. Network Adapter. I shifted to #2 and booted but the only disc I have is a Win 7 System Repair Boot Disc. This kicked in, started running, and then fizzled out.

F10 - BIOS Setup

F11 - System Recovery. This gives 2 options: 1. Start Windows Normally; 2. Launch Startup Repair. I've run both of these many times and always with the same result - they fizzle out leaving Windows startup wallpaper + mouse pointer or just a blank screen.

Pressing the ESC key on startup brings up a menu listing all five of these options.

So I can get into the BIOS Setup but once in there I don't know what, if anything, to do.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

If you go to this website you will find instructions for accessing the boot sequence and changing the boot order.

#12 scratcher

scratcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:23 AM

Hi dc3:

Thanks, but I've now found that pressing F9 on startup brings up Boot Manager with 3 options: 1. Hard Drive; 2. CD/DVD Rom Drive; 3. Network Adapter. I shifted to #2 and booted but the only disc I have is a Win 7 System Repair Boot Disc. This kicked in, started running, and then fizzled out.

I can't make a Win 7 installation disc because I don't have a clean computer to make one in. A USB stick I used after I thought I'd gotten rid of the virus, and which I took the precaution of formatting before using it, has caused both this and my other computer to become infected.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

If I may offer a suggestion here.

You might want to start a new topic here Am I Infected What Do I do?

It appears you have a nasty Virus or Trojan that has infected your hard drive's boot sector. Those people at the link above will have the correct advanced tools for you to run to get rid of whatever infection this is.

Once you do that, we'll report your computer as an unbootable computer so the staff will know you are having system boot issues.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 17 November 2013 - 11:02 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#14 scratcher

scratcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

Hi Bruce:

Thank you. I'll do as you suggest.

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:10 PM

If you could, make sure you post a link to this topic in your new topic, so who ever helps you knows what has already been tried in this topic.

Thanks in advance and good luck.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users