Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two wireless routers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RuidosoPC

RuidosoPC

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

I am trying to extend my network range. I have a Belkin N600 DB hooked up to the modem and all is fine. I have thick walls so I ran a cat5e cable from one of the lan ports of the first router to the input of a second Belkin N600 DB and it will not connect to the first and allow internet access. I have configured the second router with it's own ssid and password. I had an old Linksys 54G laying around and hooked it up for grins and it works fine even configured with it's own ssid and password. Is there something I am missing with the setup of the 2nd Belkin?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:45 PM

Are both routers running DHCP? Also, what port are you plugging in the second router?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 RuidosoPC

RuidosoPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:36 AM

Yes, both are running DCHP and I am plugging into the top port WAN not the Lan Ports.

The only settings I have changed are ssid and I set up securty.

Edited by RuidosoPC, 14 November 2013 - 08:38 AM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

This site http://www.wikihow.com/Connect-One-Router-to-Another-to-Expand-a-Network  has the steps you should follow to connect another router wired. In the steps is shows putting the same SSID, you can do either or but I'd do them the same for ease of connecting. 

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 RuidosoPC

RuidosoPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

That is some great info thank you so much! Looks like I need to disable DCHP, assign an IP address and plug into a "Lan" port. My hope is I can use different ssid and passwords.

Edited by RuidosoPC, 14 November 2013 - 12:01 PM.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

you should be able to, many routers have a separate "guest" account to keep their main account a little more secure. You're doing something similar just on 2 routers rather than 1. Good luck, let us know how/if it worked =)

#7 RuidosoPC

RuidosoPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

Again thanks for the help, should get back to you tomorrow after I try the setup.

#8 spiderland

spiderland

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

I will also be trying this as I have recently bought a new router. i might as well use the old one at the same time I guess. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users