Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Remove Software Assigned Drives

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 peterk

peterk

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:18 AM

I have used Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120% which both add emulated CD Rom Drives and Windows assigns a drive letter. I have since removed these programs but the drives remain. I have selected Remove from Device Manager (Win XP SP2) but on the next reboot the hardware is detected and reinstalled. Can someone suggest how I remove them permanently please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:41 AM

Hello peterk, In this instance I think some registry editing is going to have to take place. I have been searching hi and lo and can find nothing on how to solve your problem by normal means.

If this is the route you have to take I would suggest having someone do this dead at the site of the computer and not through here at this forum. The reason why is one mistake and your system will be instantly a candidate for total recovery back to day one. I can do registry work but will not unless I am at the computer to work on it. Either way I would suggest that you backup all of your important data to either CD-R or DVD before anything is done to fix this problem.

I would look in add/remove programs for anything related to these programs that could be removed and I know you have done device manager and removed them and rebooted and they keep coming back. Another suggestion is to contact the tech support to find out how to remove their software fully from your computer, you may have to reinstall the software to remove it properly. Some software can and will be a real pain in the you know what to remove.

#3 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:46 AM

Hi there, all I could think of is trying Tuneup 2006. Its a 15 Day trial. Use the 1-klick Cleanup.It is quite good. If that doesnt work, I suggest a free Registry cleaner. As ThorXP mentioned, these shld only be used w/ backup and extreme care. rgds,

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#4 peterk

peterk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:05 AM

thanks for your input. I used the program's own uninstallers not Control panel, and I have also used RegVac to cleen up any leftovers, so all has been done that I know of.

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:22 AM

You should be able to remove a partition using disk management, and then extend the other partition(s) to fill in the unused space. MS Article

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users