Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'no g21dr'...and then 'startup repair could not detect a problem...'

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Haze

Blue Haze

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

Please help! The girlfriends Gateway laptop running Vista home premium 32bit failed to boot recently. I volunteered to look at it (and now wish I hadn't!!!!!)
Background: As handed to me, when switching on, it would tell me that "windows failed to shut down properly" and gave me 2 options; to start up normally, or to launch start up repair (or words to that effect). Trying the 'normal' route would have the computer hanging with a black screen and cursor. The 'repair' option eventually gave the blue screen of death, all I could read for the split second the screen showed was 'uncountable boot volume' before it shut itself down.
So, after some googling various information suggested I ideally needed the installation disc (which at the time was unavailable), or otherwise a program supplied by NeoSmart would do the same job, which I tried. After burning the image onto a disc, the computer booted, and I went through the 'automatic repair processes'. Eventually, after supposedly repairing various issues, the screen told some items could not be repaired. Fingers crossed that I could at least boot from there, I tried without the disc. All I got this time (and continue to do so) was 'no g21dr'.
I mailed NeoSmart, who sent me a link for another updated program to try. I did, the program repaired more stuff, until the point where it told me that 'startup repair could not detect a problem. If you have recently attached a device to this computer,such as a camera or portable music player, remove it and restart your computer. if you continue to see the message, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance'.
So now I'm stuck. Can anyone help me, in simple terms if possible, my understanding is still relatively low in the grand scheme of things!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blue Haze

Blue Haze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

Sorted. Once, that is, I realised that the the message didn't say 'g21dr' but 'g2ldr' instead! Found this on the NeoSmart website - followed the instructions, and all is good in the world again!!!

Edited by Blue Haze, 13 November 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for letting us know...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users