Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rootkit Worm on Netbook

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jiff2373

jiff2373

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

Mod Edit: Moved to Am I Infected ~~ boopme

Hello. 

I was at University yesterday working on a paper and trying to find a PDF of a resource I needed for said paper. I had attempted to download a copy (was not very cautious, in my search) and I was notified early this morning that they disabled my access to their network due to a rootkit infection. Unfortunately I was working on my own netbook, so now -- I am assuming -- it is my own PC that is infected.

I have never dealt with a rootkit before (never really even heard of the term, prior) so in essence I just feel extremely paranoid and unsure of what to do next. I have read this morning that they are very serious and it makes me contemplate on just buying a completely new computer... Is it really that serious? To have to junk this otherwise perfectly working laptop?

I have been working for about an hour backing up my files from my netbook onto an external hard drive (finished now) and changing all of my passwords (on a different laptop). But I am just nervous about doing anything on my netbook, though I really need that sized PC for college. The next time I feel would be to reformat the hard drive and install a new copy of Windows 7 onto it, but I have no idea how to do this as I have no Windows 7 installation disc nor even a disc drive on the netbook itself. I do have a flashdrive that I could use to put Windows installation on, but I am not sure where or how to obtain that exactly. 

If someone could really help me out, provide step-by-step instructions particular to my case, I would be incredibly grateful. I need my netbook back up and running as soon as possible. 

Much thanks in advance!

Edited by boopme, 13 November 2013 - 11:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users