Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rebooting

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Steph1507

Steph1507

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 02:36 AM

This may sound silly and simple, but I just want to restart my computer with no programs or files on it. I have all the discs to put everything back on to the computer, but I think this is the only way to get back into my C drive, (I am in H drive right now, and have no memory left), but I can see that C drive has 89%free that I am unable to use. I just want to start form scratch. I can get to selecting the C drive after pressing F8 during start up to get to the recovery console, and press enter for the administrator's password. It then asks me 1:D drive or 2:C drive, so I type 2. It then says: //:C drive:... And I can't get past it, I typed LOGON, but then I go in circles. with that and the administrator's password. HELP!!

Edited by Steph1507, 02 May 2006 - 03:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:20 AM

Do you want to remove all the files, "format" the drive? If so you should be able to boot with the XP CD and select format and accomplish this task.
Are you sure you do not want us to try and help you correct the problems on your hard drive?

One note. You will need the XP CD or restore disks and the 25 digit number that accompanies the Windows CD. It is a small sticker called the COA. Don't wipe out windows till you are sure you have it.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:43 AM

You say you are on drive "H" is this the drive you boot into?

Iwonder why you are not booting to drive "C"?

Did you try to do a full recovery at opne time in the past?

I would like you to do a short tash for me here:

Right Click on My Computer

Left Click on Manage

Left Clcik on Disk Management

Please list the disk drives in this box on the right side top and also the status especially drive "C"

Also it would be helpful if we had some system stats like Make and Model number of you computer, processor, ram, etc.

#4 Steph1507

Steph1507
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:33 PM

Okay he's the info. for my computer:
Layout Type File System Status
HP_PAVILLION (C:) Partition Basic NTFS Healthy(System)
(H:) Partition Basic NTFS Healthy(Boot)

Here's other information that may be useful:
I got it September 2004 from future shop. Anyways: 2800+ AMD Athlon XP Processor, 512 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM memory, 80 GB 7200RPM Ultra DMA hard drive. I hope this helps... Iget to the point after the administrator's password in the recovery console to where it says: C:\WINDOWS> I need to type something here but what?

Edited by Steph1507, 02 May 2006 - 03:41 PM.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:14 PM

Okay he's the info. for my computer:
Layout Type File System Status
HP_PAVILLION (C:) Partition Basic NTFS Healthy(System)
(H:) Partition Basic NTFS Healthy(Boot)

Here is the skinny, Yoiur boot drive is Drive "H" and not drive "C" to facilitate drive "C" being your boot drive I would think a complete reinstall of the OS after backing up your data files and set the recovery to drive "C".

Sorry there is nothing we really can do to switch thius around your H: Drive is the Healthy (Boot) your computer is always going to boot to Drive "H" until you recover to Drive "C".

My suggestion is if the computer is working properly leave it alone.

Have a good day.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:04 PM

Do your want to do a clean install or do you wish to salvage the setup you have now?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Steph1507

Steph1507
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:05 AM

The reason I want to get out of the H drive isbecause I only have 3% of its memory left. I have all the programs I will need to put on the computer, and I am not sure what exactly consists of my set up, I just want nothing saved on my computer and to be back in the C drive when the computer is turned on. And do I need to type something after C:/WINDOWS> during the recovery process? It wont continue on unless I type EXIT and then it justs restarts my computer...the way it was.. in H drive.

#8 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:38 PM

If you want to just clean install then you will need the XP disc. Put it in and let it boot. Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from CD-ROM. Then delete each partion and select to install on unpartition space. One with most memory. Then have it format in NTFS. Not quick format either. Then it will boot to C:\
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#9 Steph1507

Steph1507
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 08:49 PM

How would I set my BIOS to load from disc? And how to have it format in NTFS?

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:19 PM

You get into your BIOS by pressing a key at boot-up. This differs depending on brand of computer. With most generic computers, it's the Delete key. Some computers have other key combinations. When the computer is booting, you'll see a black screen with lettering usually and at the bottom of the screen it will say something like "Press Del to enter Setup." Or it could be an F key or a combination of ctrl+alt+esc.

Once you're in there, you have to use arrow keys to navigate and other keys to make changes. The instructions will appear somewhere on the screen itself, such as using + and - keys to change a setting. What you're looking for is boot order - which disk boots first. It can be CD-Rom, hard drive, or floppy. You can change the boot order so that it will boot from the CD-Rom first. It may take a little practice to get it figured out. You must exit saving your changes.

When setting up your disk, you go for a clean install of Windows, but you have to choose where to put it. You need to see what's on the hard drive. If you are doing a clean install, it helps to understand what you're doing. If you have an H: drive, is it an actual hard drive or another partition on a single drive? If one partition has the operating system, and the other has data that you do not want to lose, you would not mess with the partition that has data. You will lose all your data and programs on the drive you are going to clean-install! You should always have all your data backed up before you do anything like this. That means favorites and email accounts and anything else you really want to keep.

I like this site because it has a graphical representation of what you'll actually expect during an install.

#11 Steph1507

Steph1507
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 12:26 PM

Thank you so much Herk, I have to work this weekend so I don't have time until next week to start with the fun and games just yet. But, I'll let you know how it goes!

#12 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 03:09 PM

Please do. We're here to help. And we like to know whether we're actually helping. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users