Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help for buying a 1TB external hdd?Which Brand?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kusai

Kusai

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

I want a 1TB external HDD for my desktop and ofc to backup my movies and stuff. I thought about seagate but I'm whole lot confused about whether to buy expansion,backup plus,desktop hdd etc..But is there any other brand which is better, to keep my data safe for years to come(min 5 years at least) and that it never fails. Price is not a problem. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

Well I use a 1TB seagate expansion to backup my documents/movies/pictures/music and it's served me great so far. I have only ever owned this one and a toshiba one and this one is the clear winner for me.

Here is the link to mine http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-STBX1000201-Expansion-Portable-External/dp/B0093RFBO6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384354080&sr=8-1&keywords=seagate+1tb

I'm not suggesting that this is the one you get but Seagate is a great manufacturer for HDD.

Thanks,

Darktune

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

FWIW Every brand will have some failures. For the price difference Why not think about a 2Tb External?

I use Seagate, Western Digital, Hitachi, And Toshiba

I am slowly switching over to Portable External drives. They only need the cable to USB port for data and power. That equals less clutter.

Some suggestions

When buying a External drive, see if the colors are all priced the same. Some I bought the red version was $20 cheaper than the most expensive color. Not sure Why. Especially since the color is the difference.

Buy A USB3 drive, Even if You do not have USB3 now, sooner or later You will.

Remove the power from the drive when not using it. This will help with the drive life.

Always stop the drive using the "safely remove hardware and eject media" before disconnecting it.

Think about a NAS with Dual drives where the second drive is a exact image of the first drive. Mirrored drives.

For example I am using these for data backup where I would hate to lose the contents. Not to mention that I can access them over the network from any computer in the house.

QNAP TS-220 Diskless System Network Storage

Using these drives.

Western Digital Red NAS Hard Drive WD20EFRX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Those drives are NAS drives.

I run one NAS 24 hours a day with no problems except It could use more space.

Remember that no Eternal drive likes any impacts and they like being dropped even less. So be careful.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

If price is no issue and you want a long promise of working, you should get an Enterprise class drive.

External/Internal are all basically the same, some people claim that WD are bad, others say that Seagate's arent a good choice. Me? I use just about anything, Ive had some issues with all of em.

I read an article the other day about a company that uses standard consumer class drives for large "cloud" storage, and over the last 5 years has collected failure data on the drives, they do not use any one brand only whatever is cheapest at time.

Statistically there is a 4% failure rate in the first 18 months (manufacturing defects, and the like), from then until the 3 year mark the failure rate sits at 1.4% then after 3 years it jumps to 11% failure.

Granted thats with almost constant use, so realistaclly you can run it for a lot longer than that, as long as you are careful, just find one for cheap that has a good capacity and you should be golden.

#5 Kusai

Kusai
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:37 AM

Thanks a lot Guys and can you plz tell me the difference between seagate expansion,backup plus,desktop hdd?????/tysm :)

Edited by Kusai, 15 November 2013 - 08:37 AM.

#6 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

Check out the Seagate website all the information is there :)

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/004442en

Q: What is Seagate Backup Plus, and how is it different from GoFlex drives and competitive products?
A:
Seagate Backup Plus is a new hard drive from Seagate that simplifies backup for consumers who want to protect their entire digital life locally, in the cloud or from social networks.

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

#7 Kusai

Kusai
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

Ty for your reply Darktune, and at last, :bananas:  I just got a Seagate Expansion 1TB portable external :) but I need your help when i checked the drive its not empty but has some software of seagate??? I don't know where to start copying my data or do I have to format the hdd to get rid of the software or how to use that software??? :thumbup2:

#8 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:30 PM

Yeah mine came with software pre-installed too. I just kept mine but it's entirely up to you. I think (If I can remember correctly) the software is a user interface which tells you more about your drive. I haven't used it myself.

Oh and by the way, good choice of drive  :thumbup2:

Darktune

#9 Kusai

Kusai
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:07 AM

Thank you so much Darktune, so now, as there is no need to format it, I will start copy and paste of my data :lol: ,Thanks for your help Darktune,Rotor123 and Greengiant, much appreciated :hello:

#10 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:27 AM

You're welcome from all here at BleepingComputer :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users