Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update From W-7 To 8.1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jim-Ed

Jim-Ed

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:43 AM

I am only some-what computer savy, so please overlook my poorly posted questions...:)

I have windows 7-Home and am thinking I would like to update to W-8.1. I have ran the compatability scan and near all passed for acceptance. I am attaching found incompatabile results. This is the url with the option to scan and or purchase W-8 that I used...http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8...My question is,,,Am I going at this correctly ?? am I getting in over my head?? And would someone mind tutoring me with the setting it up without the new start screen,,,I am thinking I would NEVER EVER want this deal..:) I love the option to restore to factory specs offered on this HP PC. I would hate to loose that. Not a clue whether 8.1 will have that option. Any advice will be greatly appreciated....Thanks...Jim

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:32 AM

Those are all pretty minor issues to go from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1, but what is the reasoning behind going from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1?

I would highly recommend once you do upgrade to Windows 8.1, that you install and use VLC from www.videolan.org to play DVD's.

#3 Chuts

Chuts

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:33 AM

Your HP should also give you the option to make your own Factory Restore cds.  Look under Start>All Programs and search anything to do with HP and/or Maintenance.  These CDs are always good to have, but nowadays, makers are cutting costs by not actually providing them.

Is there a reason you want to go to Win 8? 

#4 Jim-Ed

Jim-Ed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:15 AM

Thans

cryptodan and Chuts for your replies. I guess I do not have a legitiment reason to upgrade. I am as happy with my 7 as I have ever been. Just sorta dreading the enevitable down the trail. Don`t care for hanging fire, you might say. I need to find out when exactly w7 support ends. I already use VLC and am familiar with it. W-Media Player is pretty complicated for old Jim. I also have a start-up disk, But sure wish I knew the (easy) procedure of cloneing a w-7 disk to replace if HD failed. I am not sure I could re-use it either. Maybe Microsoft $`s..:) Please excuse my ignorance...Just an ole Okie bothering folk i spect...Thanks again...Jim

#5 Chuts

Chuts

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

In the case of HD failure an alternative and IMHO a better way than to have a clone to replace it is to make a Backup Image of the drive.  An Image is like making a zip file of the entire drive.  One free program that will do this (it also does a Clone) is Macrium Reflect Free.  Try it.  Another similar program which I have been using for many years is Acronis True Image - it isn't free though.

You can keep several Backup Images on an external drive providing it is large enough so making such backups about once per month is a good habit.  If you do a Clone instead you can only have one clone per drive.  Any subsequent clones will wipe the previous one.

#6 Jim-Ed

Jim-Ed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

I have downloaded and installed  (Paragon) . Please see attachment. May I ask if this will do the same as the ones you mentioned. It looked the easiest for me,,,I hope....Thanks for you advice and help...Much appreciated...jimAttached File  Paragon.JPG   71.75KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Paragon.JPG   71.75KB   0 downloads

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users