Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OEM System Builder Pack?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bramish

Bramish

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:31 AM

Hi,

Recently built a new PC but had to order Windows 7 separately. I live in Austria and had to buy an English version online. Now it's arrived I'm not sure if it's the version I ordered - lots of abbreviations etc I don't fully understand.

The product description when I ordered says:

Microsoft, SWMSF Win7 Home Prem SP1 64-bit English 1pk 611 DSP OEI DVD

Language: English

Platform: Windows 7

Type: Full Version
Bit: 64 bit
License Number: 1

But the box it arrived in says it's a System Builder Pack (although the label says the same as above), which I understand can only be installed on one computer and can't be transferred to a new build.

Did I miss something in the description or have they sent me the wrong version?

Thanks

Edited by Bramish, 13 November 2013 - 04:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ironpenguin

ironpenguin

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:21 AM

The DSP OEI is what you see labeling it as the system builder pack. It means "Delivery service partner Original equipment installation"

Basically, its similar to the normal retail copy...Except tied to the computer, not the user.

So a retail windows copy, if you say, sold the computer later, you would keep the windows key. With this one its tied to the computer, so you dont get to use the key on another computer. Ive also seen microsoft people state that it additionally dosent let you change the motherboard, you cant use it to upgrade (Like upgrading from vista to 7.) and you cannot obtain free microsoft direct support.

Basically, you got a version of windows that is meant to be installed on a computer thats going to be sold to someone.

#3 Bramish

Bramish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:18 AM

Ah ok, thanks. So I guess I should return it and try and find a full retail version?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:22 AM

Why?

Why would you return it?

The advantage of being able to move the license from one system to another...isn't very important, IMO...MS has already released a later version of Windows and is working hard on a second.

If you plan on buying a new motherboard or replacing your system every year or so...then a retail license may make sense.  Other than that, it makes no sense, IMO.

Louis

#5 Bramish

Bramish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:52 AM

That makes sense and I was just considering the same thing myself - I guess I won't upgrade for a few years at least and as you say, by then I'll probably buy whatever new Windows version is around. Thanks.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

:thumbup2: , easily done, I'm full of opinions :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users