Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Difficult to Explain - Mouse/System Unresponsive/WTH/Drive

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mtfeeney

mtfeeney

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:51 AM

Ok, here's the rundown.  I have a desktop that I built 2 years ago.  Everything was running perfectly until about a month ago.  Without any software or hardware changes, the system developed a problem.  Bear with me, it's honestly difficult to explain.  The most obvious symptom is with the mouse.  Sometimes, and seemingly at random, the mouse starts exhibiting weird behavior.  It never freezes or stutters, but sometimes it's like the system refuses to acknowledge that the mouse is there.  For example, I can sometimes move the cursor down to the start bar and nothing I do will have any effect.  If I move the cursor over something, they don't do that highlight effect.  If I click, nothing.  If I right click or middle click, nothing.  Meanwhile, my keyboard is functioning perfectly.  So while the mouse gets no response from trying to click the start button, I can hit the windows key on the keyboard to make it pop up.  If I try to click on an item from the start menu after using the keyboard to open it?  It closes the start menu as if I clicked elsewhere.  Sometimes when it happens, the window I was currently use starts showing this non-responsiveness.  Sometimes the window I was using is the only window that will work.  Alt+tabbing to another window gives me unresponsive windows on top.  When I click on one of these windows that fails to give a response, the window usually loses focus but isn't covered by another window.  Sometimes the system registers clicks that I didn't do.  Sometimes it registers them as the wrong mouse button.  I have been looking at the monitor without touching the mouse and seen the middle-click circle appear.

Now, this seems to mostly revolve around the mouse.  I use a Logitech Wave K350 Keyboard and Performance MX Mouse with the Unifying receiver.  I connected a regular USB mouse.  When I noticed the problem happening while using the wireless mouse, I grabbed the wired mouse and checked to see if the problem disappeared.  It didn't.  When the system became unresponsive, it was unresponsive to both mice at the same time.  I do think the problem occurs less often when I use the wired mouse exclusively, but I'm not sure what that indicates.

I have 3 disk drives.  There's a 256GB Crucial C300 SSD as my primary drive.  There's a WD2001FASS Western Digital 1.5TB HDD.  There's a 500GB knock-off brand laptop drive thrown in there from when my previous laptop died.  When I suspected that maybe there was an issue with my windows installation, I decided to try a new installation.  I installed windows on the WD drive.  After booting into that installation, none of these problems appeared again.  Everything ran perfectly, albeit much slower due to not being a SSD.  Seeing this as a victory sign, I proceeded to remove the original windows installation on the SSD and install a fresh copy.  As soon as I booted into the fresh win7 session, the problems manifested in full force.  Everything described above started happening again.  I can boot into the copy on the HDD and it runs flawlessly.  I can boot into the copy on the SSD and it's deathly painful to use.

I'm stumped.  I've been using this SSD with this mouse on the same Win7 installation for over 2 years, and then the problem pops up out of nowhere.  Switching to an installation on another drive removes the problem, but it's an unacceptable "solution".  Using a wired mouse exclusively might help, but it's also not an acceptable "solution", as my monitor is a 50" plasma tv and my "desk" alternates between the coffee table in front of the couch and the tv stand if I want to sit insanely close for maximum immersion in a game.  If the mouse itself was broken, then the problem wouldn't disapear when I switched to the HDD's win7 install.  If it was software related, it would've had to be triggered by the installation/update of something, but there was no such update/change.  WIthout any driver install/update, the mouse and keyboard work with a fresh copy of win7 out of the box.  Installing the Logitech Setpoint and Unifying Driver/Software doesn't fix it.  Uninstalling them doesn't, either.  Removing the mouse and the software from the equation, that seems to point at the drive itself.  Can a problem with the SSD somehow cause these problems?  I don't claim to know everything about computers, but that just doesn't sound possible to me.  Right now I'm thinking about backing up the SSD, then formating it completely before doing yet another install.  I want to avoid that if possible, as it's an awful thing to do to an SSD, but...  Whatever it takes, right?

Sorry for writing this book, and thanks for reading it.  TL;DR - Nope, there's no way to shorten this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mtfeeney

mtfeeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:14 AM

Nothing?

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:47 AM

First things first, goto run and open event viewer (eventvwr.msc) and check for any indication that he mouse is dropping communication with the pc.

If that comes up with nothing, goto run and type devmgmt.msc and uninstall the drivers for the mouse (Have a spare one just incase) and then scan for hardware changes.

If that comes up with nothing then try this command

pnputil -e >> C:\PnPUitilList.txt

Sift through that l;ist to find the mouse driver then you can uninstall with pnputil -d Drivername.inf

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 14 November 2013 - 03:47 AM.

#4 mtfeeney

mtfeeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:15 AM

Thanks for the reply, Johnny.  I'll do that asap.  Just a question.  Since the cursor never stops moving, wouldn't that mean that the mouse isn't dropping communication?

Since posting, I've tried completely formating the SSD and doing a fresh install.  Within seconds of starting up, the problem started right up.  I'm not sure if I mentioned it above, but sometimes the symptom of this problem is that the system acts like it received clicks I never did... or it registers a different click than what I did.  I may be moving the cursor along the start bar to see if the system is responding, and suddenly the cursor is dragging programs around the start bar.

#5 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:00 AM

check device manager for any conflicts

#6 mtfeeney

mtfeeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:19 AM

I tried all of that, but nothing has changed.  I also tried updating the SSD's firmware, but that also didn't help.

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:43 AM

So this is only when the SSD drive is in operation. This does sound like a wierd problem.

The thing i would suspect is a IRQ conflict somewhere between the SSD and the Mouse, goto run and type msinfo32.exe and then navigate through the tree to Hardware Resources and click on IRQ and see what number the SSD is using.

The numbers are normally preset allocated 9 is Floopy, 12 is PS2 etc etc. What number is yours sititng on.

#8 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:23 AM

You said the SSD was being used with the mouse for over two years. How old is the SSD, and how big is it? Is it possible it's wearing out? They do, you know, especially older small ones. You might try plugging the SSD in as an auxiliary drive, or through a USB adapter, then booting up on the WD and testing the drive in properties/tools/error-checking.

That "unifying" mouse is a Bluetooth device and is subject to 2.4GHz interference. Something to check since most wireless devices, and microwave ovens, run in that band.

#9 mtfeeney

mtfeeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:07 AM

I ran SSDlife, it says my SSD's health is at 97% and has an expected lifespan of 9 more years.  It's a 256GB Crucial(RealSSD) C300.  I ran the error-checking, and there were no errors or problems.  My "unifying" system isn't the bluetooth variety.  I tried those a year or so ago, but I don't like bluetooth.  Interference seems unlikely, since the cursor moves, right?  If there was interference, it wouldn't just disable part of the function, I wouldn't think.  Also, anything that disrupted it would still disrupt it while I'm running the OS from the HDD.  The only variable that changes between 'working' and 'not working' is running the OS from the SSD or the HDD.  This is truly a very frustrating issue.  I appreciate the help, thank you.  I'll go check the IRQ stuff now.

#10 mtfeeney

mtfeeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:29 AM

I don't know which one would be the SSD.  Here's the whole list.

RQ 0	System timer	OK
IRQ 4	Ethernet Controller	OK
IRQ 5	Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller - 1C22	OK
IRQ 8	System CMOS/real time clock	OK
IRQ 11	PCI Simple Communications Controller	OK
IRQ 13	Numeric data processor	OK
IRQ 16	Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 - 1C10	OK
IRQ 16	Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 - 1C18	OK
IRQ 16	Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C2D	OK
IRQ 16	NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480	OK
IRQ 16	Xeon E3-1200/2nd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) Processor Family PCI Express Controller - 0105	OK
IRQ 16	Xeon E3-1200/2nd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) Processor Family PCI Express Root Port - 0101	OK
IRQ 17	High Definition Audio Controller	OK
IRQ 17	NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480	OK
IRQ 18	High Definition Audio Controller	OK
IRQ 18	Intel(R) 82801 PCI Bridge - 244E	OK
IRQ 18	PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge	OK
IRQ 19	Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 - 1C16	OK
IRQ 19	JMicron JMB36X Controller	OK
IRQ 19	Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller	OK
IRQ 22	High Definition Audio Controller	OK
IRQ 23	Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C26	OK
IRQ 81	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 82	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 83	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 84	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 85	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 86	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 87	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 88	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 89	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 90	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 91	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 92	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 93	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 94	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 95	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 96	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 97	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 98	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 99	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 100	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 101	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 102	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 103	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 104	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 105	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 106	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 107	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 108	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 109	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 110	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 111	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 112	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 113	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 114	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 115	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 116	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 117	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 118	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 119	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 120	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 121	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 122	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 123	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 124	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 125	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 126	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 127	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 128	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 129	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 130	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 131	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 132	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 133	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 134	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 135	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 136	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 137	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 138	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 139	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 140	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 141	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 142	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 143	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 144	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 145	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 146	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 147	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 148	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 149	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 150	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 151	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 152	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 153	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 154	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 155	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 156	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 157	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 158	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 159	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 160	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 161	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 162	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 163	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 164	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 165	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 166	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 167	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 168	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 169	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 170	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 171	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 172	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 173	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 174	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 175	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 176	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 177	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 178	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 179	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 180	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 181	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 182	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 183	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 184	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 185	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 186	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 187	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 188	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 189	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 190	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 4294967294	ASMedia XHCI Controller	OK

#11 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:43 AM

IRQ 19 is the SSD/Controller. Im just wondering if you changed it from AHCI to to Sata compatability mode in the Bios.

IRQ 19    Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller    OK

#12 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:13 AM

Yeah, I was about to hit you with the same question. Are you exchanging the drives when you boot from the WD? Or, do you leave them in place and change the boot priority in BIOS? Are they both set up for AHCI or Legacy IDE?

Also, found this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1517254
Might come in handy.

#13 mtfeeney

mtfeeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:42 AM

AHCI is set in the BIOS.  I use it and leave it unchanged for every drive.  I actually flipped it to IDE earlier today to update the firmware, and tested to see if hte problem manifested while I was at it.  It did, unfortunately, so now I'm back in good ol' AHCI.  The booting is handled by Windows Boot Manager.  It just tosses up a menu for me to select which OS to load.

#14 mtfeeney

mtfeeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:44 AM

No more ideas?

#15 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:11 AM

Is the ssd on the jmicron. If not, id still remove that sata controller too, and trouble shoot that way.

what operating system 7 32bit.

Edited by Roodo, 18 November 2013 - 11:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users