Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Different Registry Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:29 PM

I understand that when you download a new program and then delete it later, that although it doesn't show up in the programs anymore, it can be retained in the registry. Over a period of time the accumulation can be so great that it slows down the computer and can cause  problems. Can someone explain to me how these retained entries in the Resgistry can slow the computer down. Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

Well...first of all...what you posted is just plain inaccurate and the result of advertising :).  That's the line that developers of registry cleaners use to convince the unknowing that EVERYBODY NEEDS to "clean the registry" :).

First of all...let's understand what's involved in properly uninstalling a program.  The developer of said program...writes the uninstall routine, which is part of the program.  If the uninstall routine is poorly written...the result may be an incomplete uninstall of the program, once it is installed in Windows.

Windows can be thought of as two parts...the files which any user can see/move/delete with ease...and the registry settings relating to those files.  The registry itself can be thought of as a database that is distinct from, yet related to, the files installed by Windows and in Windows.  The registry...or any other file...normally presents no problem at all to users and merits no consideration, IMO.  It is only with the onset of system problems that anyone should even think about the registry...because some problems can be traced to damaged files or malware in the registry portion of Windows (just as some can be traced to damaged files or malwares in the regular files which are typically accessible to any user.

Rather than try to explain the registry and do a poor job of it...I suggest that you read the following:

Demystifying the Windows Registry - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial74.html#backup

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner FAQ, PC Support - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/registry-cleaner/a/registry-cleaner-faq.htm

Louis

#3 wippernm

wippernm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:46 PM

I agree in part with the first response.  But the main point that I would say is NEVER execute one of the popup registry cleaners that often come up even if they look ok.  Many will place things into your computer or into the registry that are hard to locate and hard to remove.  Their solution is to sell you their program that will eliminate the millions of errors.

There are some free and widely used registry cleaners out there.  I would not use any of these unless you have a problem that is driving you crazy.

Wise Registry Clean is a program that helps in some cases and really does no hard.  In most cases, it will allow you to back up your registry prior to making changes.  This is a good thing, if you find that your solution is worse that the problem, you can return to what you had.

Make and use registry backups.  The registry is one place I do not like those I support to play around in.  Microsoft has programs built into most operating systems that will allow someone to enter the registry and you can really cause problems.  Unless you know what your doing, I would not recommend dabbling into the registry.

Since there are some good free cleaners, I never use any pay programs.  I have fixed problems like stubborn popups and toolbars that may not show up in the program remove area on the control panel.

I have had to perform surgery on a registry that keeps having problems and no other way is out there without downloading an unknown program that might cause more problems than it helps.

So there is my two cents worth.   You may find those who support this concept and other who do not.  I don't always trust some advise from Microsoft since they really don't help the end user very well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users