Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabling auto updates

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kelsyhb

kelsyhb

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:53 PM

Hello everyone!

I am the adult and technical services librarian at a public library, meaning that in addition to my regular old "librarian duties," I am also in charge of updating the public computers (25 of them) every month.

(Before I continue, I should note that although I have been using computers since the age of seven [I'm now 26] and know what I'm doing and can help our patrons, I don't have any experience in IT or computer science--or anything of the sort. So you'll have to excuse me if I use incorrect terminologies and so forth. I am still learning!)

There are a couple pieces of software that are currently driving me batty with their update notifications. Namely, Adobe Reader and Flash; Java; and iTunes.

We have DeepFreeze Enterprise on our public computers so that any changes patrons make to the computers while they are in their "frozen state" are erased after the computer is restarted. I do not want these update notifications to auto pop-up when the patrons log on; they can't really mess up the computer but if they try to update, DeepFreeze will just negate it. And, if I'm being honest, some patrons find it confusing...they know they're not supposed to make changes to the computer but when these notifications pop up in their faces, some of them don't know what to do.

I've tried everything I can think of. I've told the applications quite a few times to never check for updates (as I will do it myself when I am updating the computers), but it seems like every time I am working on updating I keep getting the notifications and have to once again tell them to stop. Java in particular is guilty of this. I also used msconfig.exe --> startup and unchecked Java, Apple, iTunes, Adobe, etc. but it seems that when I go and update the software, I get those pop-ups stating that the software would like to make changes to the computer and it reverts back to what it was doing before (hopefully you know what I mean...I'm on the reference desk so I can't go to one of our public terminals to go through the process in order to be more detailed).

A friend of mine who is good with computers said that there's really nothing I can do...that every time I update Java I will have to disable update checks. Call me naive but this doesn't seem possible! Any knowledge/help/advice in this area would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:21 PM

What OS are these computers with Deep Freeze running?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 kelsyhb

kelsyhb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

Ah yes, that would be helpful. Almost all of them are Windows 7. We have a few Windows XP but those seem to be pushing Reader and iTunes notifications, not Java.

#4 Erin Walsh

Erin Walsh

• Banned Spammer
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

It does seem like you could find a work-around.  Do you use a driver update software?  If this were to be used on autoschedule, you could have them updated automatically and schedule this to happen while they were not in use.  The Deep Freeze program certainly seems to be the real issue.  Have you contacted their technical support to see what others with similar issues have done? 

#5 kosmonaft

kosmonaft

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:09 AM

Nothing else to do except to talk with The Deep Freeze program support.

Edited by kosmonaft, 10 March 2014 - 05:09 AM.

http://furg.net/ - Free online games 

#6 helpmepc111

helpmepc111

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:02 AM

What does it affect when we disable the auto update off on our licenced copy of the operating system..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users