Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloaded a game that only runs on Windows XP for my Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 calebmhartmann

calebmhartmann

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

I downloaded a game that, after paying for it and downloading it, found out that the newest version of Windows it runs on is XP.  I went to Microsoft to find out how to get a virtual desktop to run the game but they're saying I need a different version of Windows 7 (I have Home Premium Edition).  I'm not sure what the right way is to go about fixing this issue and would love some advice...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:13 PM

They are talking about Win 7 Professional, into which you can download and install the XP Virtual mode.
You can try running the game in Compatibility Mode.
What is the game.  Some old games just run anyway.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:03 PM

The following is from the Windows website.

Warning: Do not use the Program Compatibility troubleshooter on older antivirus programs, disk utilities, or other system programs because it might cause data loss or create a security risk.

To run the Program Compatibility troubleshooter

Open the Program Compatibility troubleshooter by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under Programs, click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows.

Follow the instructions in the troubleshooter.

If you cannot install a program, insert the installation disc for the program and, using the troubleshooter, browse to the program's setup file, usually called Setup.exe, Install.exe, or something similar. The troubleshooter is not designed to work on programs that have an .msi file name extension..

Edited by hamluis, 13 November 2013 - 07:25 PM.
Fixed typo - Hamluis.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:02 PM

If none of the above suggestions work for you there are two other options you might want to try, if you are seriously intent on running this game ( and any others that won't run on anything later than XP ).

They both depend on you having a valid copy of XP. The first is you can create a partition on your hard drive and install XP into it. This creates a dual-boot system and you choose which one you want to start at boot up time. Essentially you have a Win 7 and an XP computer inside the same box.

The other is to experiment with a virtual machine. When I tried this I used the free software from VMWare. You install the virtual machine and then install XP ( and any other operating system you want to try, such as Linux ) into the VM. To use it, you open the VM software and then choose the operating system you want to use. This works very well for some types of older software and less well for others. I found the frame rates in the MS Train Sim were very poor, so I discontinued it.

It's quite a lot of effort to go to get a game to run, but if you really want it !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users