Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to locate model number for laptop and labels removed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 destry.stevens

destry.stevens

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

Hello everyone,

I recently received a Toshiba Satellite U505  from a friend who thought it was junk. I restored Windows 7 to out of box condition and would like to fix the lid/screen hinges, However his kids removed every sticker from the outside of the unit.

Is there a tool that can scan a system and give you the model number and serial number?

Thanks for your consideration,

Destry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

Click on the start menu, all programs, accessories, system tools, and then system information.

#3 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

Sorry, for the serial number, from the command line, please run

wmic bios get serialnumber

and this will give the serial number. The prior steps will get you the make and model number, as well as a bunch of additional information.

#4 destry.stevens

destry.stevens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:39 PM

When I use the command line dialogue you sent the command prompt box flashes on the screen, but not long enough to see anything.

When go to System Tools, I get what I already have "Satellite U505", but when I try to search for parts, the model number they ask for has more digits. Something like "U505-s2970" but there are many others. That is the number I need. If I have the serial number I should be able to call Toshiba have them give me the model number.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:23 PM

This command needs to be run from the elevated command prompt.

Type cmd in the Search programs and files box, right click on [v]cmd[/b] when it appears above the search box and choose Run as administrator.

When the elevated command prompt opens copy and paste wmic bios get serialnumber and press Enter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users